5.0 out of 5 stars Solid Connection with Minor Tweak -- Great Connector for the Price, December 12, 2011
This review is from: CableWholesale CNE16127 RJ45 CAT-5 E Crimp Connector Solid (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Personal Computers)
There are a lot of people complaining about the loose fit and the connectors not "clicking" or staying in. When these connectors are crimped, the locking tab gets flattened and stays down. All you need to do is gently bend the tab back up and it will stay up again and allow the locking mechanism to work correctly again. I have used over 30 of these connectors so far and have not had any issues with loose connections or connectors pulling out of the switches/jacks.

Sure, you should not have to bend the tabs back up on a quality connector... but we are talking about only 4 cents per piece. You can't expect them to be perfect at that price.

I give these 5-stars because they crimp well and work great with a very minor tweak required after crimping. If they were a full-priced connector, I would give them 4-stars, but they aren't. Wake up and smell the cable cream and stop buying inexpensive connectors and then give them bad ratings for a minor issue that can easily be fixed.

. . . and for those of you that say you have many years experience terminating category cable - you can't honestly tell me that you have never had to bend up a tab to make a cable lock into place. I have had to bend tabs on even the higher quality patch cables before.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 18, 2013 10:04:53 AM PST
Sipylus says:
I tend to bend the tabs before crimping and that often solves the issue 80% of the time. Why beforehand? Well, I do not want to waste time crimping the cable once again if the tab breaks while adjusting.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2013 6:46:47 AM PST
Miles Prower says:
Nice tip Sipylus, thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2013 7:22:40 AM PST
Brian says:
For what it's worth, I always bend them up after the crimp and have yet to break one off. It doesn't really take much to bend them back to the point of being functional and I have never felt like they were about to break either. I guess I could pull a couple out and actually see what it takes to break one off.

Sipylus, how far back are you bending them to make them break?

Posted on Jun 13, 2013 5:42:41 PM PDT
OldAmazonian says:
Best bet is use a better tool that doesn't crush the tabs.

Posted on Aug 12, 2013 5:28:12 PM PDT
Lauren says:
I want to thank you so much! I was so upset that my modulators were not working, then I read your review on the lock mec. I tried bending it and it worked! Thank you so so so so much!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2013 7:58:51 PM PDT
Brian says:
I'm glad it helped you out.

While I'm here, I'll give a quick update. I have since used almost all 100 of these connectors (about to order some more) and still have not had any issues with them. I have used them on both Cat-5e and cat-6 cable with 100% success. I mainly use them for making patch cables but have also used them for field terminations.

I will continue to endorse my 5-star rating of this product.

Posted on Jul 18, 2014 3:10:21 PM PDT
Puff says:
Well said!
I've even used expensive connectors that required bending the clip a little..

as a matter of fact I think it's a good practice!

Great review!

Posted on Feb 16, 2015 1:35:52 PM PST
Brian says:
I'm almost done with my second pack and not a problem out of this bunch either. However, I will say that the connector is a bit different than the first batch I got -- not good or bad, just slightly different in the plastic molding. Also, this new batch doesn't have as much of a problem of flattening the tab. I still pull up on them a bit after crimping... but I have always done that on all of my RJ terminations anyway.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›