5.0 out of 5 stars The Orange Toilet, October 27, 2007
This review is from: Lotsa Luck - The Complete Series (DVD)
I had never heard of this show back in 1973 but then again I was only 12 years old at the time. Still, I happened to find this show amongst all the DVDs here at Amazon and it looked so interesting that I happen to place it in my shopping cart for later purchase. After several months of saving up for it I finally bought it and I am here to write a review of it.

I was a bit worried that I had wasted my money on a bomb of a show but it turned out to be a wise investment. I've always been a Dom Deluise fan so for that matter alone the show had something going for it. I noticed immediately the quick and sharp writing, and soon I found myself laughing, which is something I rarely do with today's TV. From the very beginning familar faces like Mona Freeman and Beverly Sanders from the old days of television (we're talking '70s old here) soon sprouted up and added to the entertainment.

The show centers around a guy (Deluise) who works as a custodian at the bus company, but who is a bachelor still living at home with his mother. That's bad enough, but he also has to live under the same roof with his sister and her husband, who are also still living at home. The sister is what they used to call "kooky" in the old days, and her husband, an out-of-work slob with a lisp who does nothing but hang around the house all day in his bathrobe, add for some funny situations for Deluise to play off of.

This DVD set consisting of 4 DVDs also contains the pilot, which really should be called "The Orange Toilet." The plumbing goes bad in the upstairs bathroom (probably the only one they have in this Brooklyn NY tenament) and Dom and the gang end up going toilet-hunting. They settle on of all things an orange colored toilet. Have you ever seen a toilet that's colored orange? Well get ready for some good laughs as the family brings home the toilet which Deluise installs himself.

For a show that's almost 35 years old and was running in prime time amongst such popular shows of the day like "All In The Family," "The Brady Bunch" and "The Carol Burnett Show," this is a breath of fresh air if you're longing for a time when TV brought us true entertainment 7 days a week.

The shows were done on videotape, though the opening credits are on film, and they are in marvelous condition. Sharp, crisp, very good quality. The theme song is a bit corny and reminds me of the opening credits to "Cheers." That I could do without. As for the discs and case, I can't say it's done cheaply, but an episode guide wouldn't have hurt the company's wallet. There are 22 episodes plus "The Orange Toilet" pilot. No Christmas episode, which would have been nice.

Lastly, I was rather surprised about the frequent use of sexual innuendo jokes which wasn't stylish yet until four years later with the debut of "Three's Company." But that type of humor I have always welcomed. I was just surprised to hear it so early in 70s television.

If anything, buy this for taking a trip back in time once more to what television in 1973 had to offer. You won't be disappointed.

[Add comment]