5.0 out of 5 stars Off The Charts - Amazing Router!, October 14, 2012
This review is from: ASUS RT-AC66U Dual-Band Wireless-AC1750 Gigabit Router (Personal Computers)
(16 months later, update at bottom) I've been following routers for about a year and determined this model would help future proof some wireless stuff we purchase next year. It's also one of, if not the strongest available. I was a little intimidated buying this one because of all it's features and not one of the traditional router brand. I thought setup would be a hassle. Boy was I wrong on all counts. This thing is wonderfully thought out...in all areas. It blows away Cisco's new "cloud for dummies", tricking some into online router accounts, so they can track your data usage.

Before setup I found 3 excellent HD Youtube videos (ASUS RT-N66U Setup...Wired...Wireless). They're made by a down to earth Asus employee who does a great job covering the setup wizard and various features. Getting it up is a breeze, very simple, takes a couple minutes for both wired and wireless. Before install you might want to check into the following:

1) Download the latest firmware from the ASUS website. The routers FW version listed at top of GUI, nice! (Router access is 192.168.1.1)
2) Decide if you want a different (SSID) name for the 2.4GHz and the 5GHZ channel and figure out what the names will be.
3) I used an online "WPA Key Generator" so the keys were ready before setup. I created a different one for each channel.
4) Visit smallnetbuilder.com forum for the AC66U. Read the couple threads on how they're getting strongest signals, best channels, frequency's, etc. Many passionate owners will help with timely support and tips.
5) Test your internet speeds and pingtest.net before - and after you install this new router.

The routers GUI is incredibly easy to understand and has tremendous amount of information and features. They use plenty of icons, images, grids, laymens terms, and "?" that provide simple explanations when hovering over. The ability to configure "port forwarding" was so simple I spent more time looking for complex steps, then the actual time to config.

THE BOX - Folks this is an impressive looking piece of hardware. It uses very dark/deep blue LED's just below the top surface. This dark blue lighting matches that same blue on our high end components. The small ASUS name in the back right corner is gold plated, a nice touch. The criss-cross grid pattern is done extremely well. The unit itself is solid, a very heavy device for it's size, which is nice for a change. I'm a fan of external antenna's and these look good, fully adjustable. They screw on so you could add extension cables to relocate them.

Surprisingly there is a small power button on the back - no more plug/unplug. There's also a WPS button on the back or AC66U. I discovered it's purpose on my Android phone, a WPS note next to router network name. This feature eliminates the need to enter long WAP keys. Hitting the WPS button in a timely fashion automates and finishes connection to router. I had no ideas this tech was in routers.

The feature called "Download Master" performs downloads for your PC. With a storage device attached I no longer need to leave my PC running while waiting for a download to finish. There's many other features you can add or simply turn on. It's the shizznit of routers for sure. I'm in the GUI every couple hours checking features, usage, etc. It's a great application for sure.

Since ASUS is making firmware changes frequently, listening to their customers, I was not worried about those minor glitches when first released this device. I was confident they would get it right and work things out. My unit is Hardware version A2, so they are updating hardware too. Stop your searching and reading - get this router - you will be happy.

UPDATE 2-2-2014: I was so happy with my router I bought another one in November 2012 for my sister. It's been powered on for 15 months straight...without one single issue or phone call from her (she's pretty tech inept). It's LAN wired to her all her entertainment components (ROKU, DirectTV, Receiver, PS3, TV). They mostly watch Amazon Prime movies and have had ZERO viewing issues. The wireless channels feed her laptop, Galaxy S3 phone, HP Officejet printer, and the "guest" account she provides friends and visitors. Again, not one issue so far. The router has not been touched since the day it was powered up. It's hard for me to believe some of the negative reviews.

My AC66U has also been flawless. It's probably processed over 100TB of data and no issues. My router also feeds via ethernet and wireless our laptops, phones, and entertainment system, including the routing of BluRay movies to all our TV's. I do wish the 5Ghz had a longer range but I rarely use that so I never turned up the signal strength. The 2.4 range gets me over a block from the house when listening to Iheart radio on my phone.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 9 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 20, 2013 9:57:20 PM PST
Johnson (TX) says:
You should turn WPS off (where you use the button to pair a wifi device to the router). It is very insecure and allows an attacker to retrieve your WPA password in clear text in a matter of hours. For more information, google "Reaver WPS".

Posted on Dec 22, 2013 12:52:39 PM PST
Why are many of these reviews of the older RT-AC66U and NOT of the product these reviews accompany, the RT-AC68U?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2014 3:08:34 PM PST
Farbet says:
ASUS (RT-AC68) Wireless-AC1900 Dual-Band Gigabit Router by Asus (Oct 9, 2013)

$263.99

Only 4 left in stock - order soon.
More Buying Choices
$252.00 new (10 offers)
$202.54 used (2 offers)
So you think that turning off the WPS is a good idea. Thanks I will do that. BTW Costco has the unit for $159

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2014 10:37:55 AM PST
A. Abaya says:
Costco has the RT-AC68U for $159???

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2014 10:30:22 PM PST
umgrizz: Amazon does that sometimes, they'll deem a product to be a newer version of another product and will link the pages and merge the reviews, which can be confusing.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2014 10:35:00 PM PST
I'm skeptical. I've rarely known Costco to stock electronics much past the low-end. It doesn't show up on their web site, which doesn't mean much. And of course add the cost of a Costco membership - unless one needs to buy tires there isn't much other reason to bother with one.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2014 10:49:46 AM PST
Farbet says:
I live In Carlsbad, San Diego. A very Hi Tech surrounding area. LEGOLAND entrance is across the street. When was the last time you were in a Costco?
Latest Big Screen TVs, Mobile phones, Printers,Computers. and ROKU TV .
I am cutting cable and need high speed cable modem and high speed Gigabit routers, like the AC1900,which will be the new internet wireless standard being adopted.
The website does not have it posted. It is in the store with the Back up drives etc. . As I said I bought 2 @159 each. Much cheaper than Amazon. Costco also takes back after 90 days., No Questions Asked. Peace of mind. Amazon is not always cheap
Just look up Costco store locations and phone and call. Costco has eyeglasses, tires, Prescription and GAS station
We get back 1% on purchases. 4% on gas purchases not only at Costco but any US gas stations.
More than covers for the membership, don't you think?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2014 11:02:28 AM PST
Yes Sir,
This is my Costco. I was surprised as I was checking the AC68U at amazon and Best Buy. Amazon was high . I visit Costco once or twice a month. always check out the High tech section. I was looking for a modem to buy as I am about to return the leased Time Warner cable modem(6.99 per month).I bought the SBG 8 x faster Extreme #6141 gigabit modem. Next to the modems was the Netgear AC modem and RT-AC68U . I had researched the Netgear also I had Netgear a while back. So I got the Asus.

Welcome to Costco Wholesale

www.costco.com/ý

Costco

The online store for the national retailer of brand name products, from computers and clothing to gardening and gourmet food.

3.5
28 Google reviews · Write a review

951 Palomar Airport Rd, Carlsbad, CA 92011
(760) 929-0963

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2014 8:24:41 PM PST
CamdogSD says:
CostCo, to my knowledge and what I've seen in person, DOES NOT have the ASUS 802.11 ac router. They have a Netgear AC router and a Linksys/Cisco AC router - one was $120 and the other $160'ish I believe. I've heard nothing but great things about this ASUS router and I'm going to buy it on Amazon... I wish CostCo had it, but they don't - at least in Carmel Mountain, Poway, and Carlsbad.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2014 9:30:51 AM PST
Farbet says:
I did buy 2 at Costco Carlsbad on different dates @159. I can post the receipt. I went back Sunday and they sold out. The clerk said it was pulled from the inventory. I believe they made a mistake with the price. they probably priced it at the ASUS- 66 price. This is the level one below.
Goodluck with Netgear.It is very diificult to set up IMO.
Frys has it. I don't trust Amazon and their outside vendors with returns.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (2,357 customer reviews)
 (1,448)