5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value and a Worthy Upgrade, June 17, 2014
This review is from: Dell UltraSharp U2414H 23.8" LED LCD Monitor (Personal Computers)
I upgraded from two 5yo Samsung Master 2494HMs (which are solid monitors...for their day). What attracted me to these particular models were the modern connections, better overall quality of display (IPS), and the sudden drop in price.

I had experience at work with Dell monitors and I knew that they are quality, most of the time. Give this, the U2414H promised to be future proof in terms of connections (DP, HDMI, USB 3.0), and so I bought them without ever physically seeing them. I am glad that I did.

In short, I am very pleased with the layout, features, and picture. There are NO dead pixels on either monitor and I was able to calibrate them to be nearly identical in tone, color, and brightness. This is something I could never achieve with the Samsungs (NOTE: I had to use the sRGB setting and use difference brightness/contrast values to achieve similar colors. One monitor was yellowish at first, but I was able to eliminate it with the sRGB tweaks. Both are REV A01 with sequential serial numbers).

Games looks spectacular with my ATI high-powered card. Text is crisp and easier to read compared to my Samsungs (that alone was worth the upgrade!). I had absolutely no issues using the dual DisplayPort outputs and included USB cables. Everything was detected immediately and displayed properly on the first boot.

Finally, it is worth mentioning that the thin bezel and matte finish on these are fantastic. On the older Samsungs the matte was a bit too much as brightness was somewhat of an issue, but on these it is perfect. Obviously I cannot comment on longevity, but my initial take is that my money was well spent.

At $260 a piece these are a great deal, but I doubt the price will stay that low as more and more positive reviews come out (there are several already, but I mean real customers like myself).

P.S. I had considered the older model of this monitor (U2412M). But it is more expensive and I read in more than one forum that the models being sold now are old Rev A00 that had minor color tone issues (a yellowish hue), and now Dell is now trying to unload them. I would skip those if you have been looking at them and go with these (if you have DP and do not need DVI).

UPDATE 6-18-14: I wanted to warn users about an issue with DisplayPort and dual monitor setups (the issue is not with these awesome monitors as it appears on all that use DP exclusively). If you use DP for a dual monitor setup, then be warned that turning off your secondary monitor will FORCE all icons, programs to the primary monitor (it makes the monitor invisible to the OS like turning off your printer). This is an issue with Windows7 and Windows8, regardless of the video card or monitors that you use. Luckily for me, my video card had a DVI and a HDMI output that I can use. For some reason using the DVI output (with an HDMI adapter) resolves the issue. I can turn off my secondary monitor without any aberrant behavior. However, I have read that a dual HDMI output causes the same thing (but there is a physical workaround that appears to the easy, see here: [...]).

*****This issue has been known since 2010, but Microsoft refuses to fix it.******

In short, if your video card only has DP outputs (or you planned on only using DP), but you want a dual monitor setup, be prepared for the most annoying issue possible with such a setup--and again, this will occur regardless of what brand of monitor you buy. I am simply writing this since these monitors do not have ANY DVI connections. Hopefully this will be resolved by Windows9...but I doubt it.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]