5.0 out of 5 stars Smart, original, and very VERY funny, January 9, 2008
This review is from: The Big Bang Theory: Season 1 (DVD)
I admit, I didn't want to like this show. After all, it replaced my favorite CBS sitcom from the previous year, The Class. But I gave it a chance, and I'm really glad I did.

The Big Bang Theory tells the story of 4 young geniuses, as they find it will take more than book-smarts to navigate the unchartered waters of relationships in the real world. Into their world of role-playing games and physics in-jokes comes Penny, a beautiful waitress who somewhat reluctlantly becomes the guys' guide to life outside their academic shells.

What really sets the show apart from other half-hour comedies is the writing. You'd probably need an advanced degree in math or science to know whether some of the jokes are based on real concepts, but it doesn't matter. Just watching the two leads (flawlessly played by Johhny Galecki and Jim Parsons) try to co-exist with Penny living across the hall is pure comic gold. Jim Parsons (as uber-nerd Sheldon) may be the funniest comic actor on t.v., and it will be a shame if he doesn't nab an Emmy nomination for his work here.

If you haven't been watching The Big Bang Theory, give it a try. And if you have seen it, I hope you'll join me in voting for a DVD release of this bright and funny show.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 5, 2008 1:41:29 PM PDT
Yes, I was skeptical, too. But I love this show. The writing is super intelligent and the actors are flawless. It's comedy and erudition wrapped in one wonderful package! Yes, I vote for DVD releases!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2009 2:26:25 PM PST
I had no idea what it was about. I saw the first show and laughed out loud. When a show can give me an out loud laugh (and it does so each episode) it is a winner in my book. Peace, Amy

Posted on Apr 18, 2009 1:12:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 18, 2009 1:16:06 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2010 11:00:30 PM PST
Yes, because it is all about Star Wars and comic book heroes. No physics, engineering, biology, or history thrown in there. Eh Daniel?

Posted on Mar 12, 2011 5:25:40 PM PST
I was skeptical as well. I also loved The Class and was disheartened when it was pulled off the air. I wish I could find it on DVD somewhere. Anyone been able to find it?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2011 6:29:27 PM PST
A. Gammill says:
P. Wells: I recorded all the episodes of The Class on DVD when it aired. Since they're not commercially available, I have no problem making you copies if you're interested. Email me if you want: algammill@hotmail.com. Just put "The Class" in the subject line so I'll know to open it ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 4:13:34 PM PST
N. Geyer says:

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 9:46:17 PM PST
Does it come with any kind of subtitles or any other language option?

Posted on Apr 12, 2013 8:25:14 PM PDT
Me T says:
I like the show itself. It would be better without the "laugh track". (I do not need someone else telling me when a line/expression/movement is "funny".)

I am wondering if the "laugh track" (i.e. "we have to tell you when to laugh because we have little faith you can find the lines funny all by yourself" track) on the DVDs is as obnoxious as on recent television broadcast episodes.

I did not actually start watching the show until about a year ago; watching the repeats. With the cable/satellite/local channels repeating the same FEW episodes, it seems obvious, as with 2.5 Men, the laugh track intensity & frequency has dramatically increased. That the episodes have been edited to include a greater frequency of "laughing", even when there is not a funny line.

Anyone else with a similar observation? Opinion? Agree/disagree?

Posted on Feb 13, 2014 8:28:08 PM PST
Danny says:
Wow this comment is from 2008 the series were at its early stages. Did you ever imagined that they would become such a hit?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (1,363 customer reviews)
 (1,150)

$29.98 $21.49
Reviewer

A. Gammill
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Location: Tupelo, MS United States