Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Sixx AM Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product - But needs more detailed instructions, October 19, 2010
This review is from: Actiontec GT701D Ethernet DSL Modem with Routing Capabilities (Personal Computers)
Works great. Does not run hot. Using it for almost a week. Came with a 2 page booklet with steps for configuring it major ISPs like AT&T, Verizon. Had to search the internet for steps to configure it in bridged mode with my router. Wish instructions for configuring into bridged mode were given in the user manual. Basically, you have to perform the following steps:
1. Auto-Configure the modem with your ISP by directly connecting the modem to your computer. Follow the instructions given in the booklet/user manual/ISP letter to enter the PPPoE username & password.
2. After configuration is complete, confirm that you are connected to the internet.
3. Click 'Advanced Setup' on the Main Menu.
4. Turn off DHCP Server on the 'DHCP Settings' page. Click Apply.
5. Go to 'WAN IP Address' page and click Yes on the warning. Select RFC 1483 Transparent Bridging. Click Apply.
6. The Internet light on the modem will turn off and always remain off in bridged mode.
7. Remove cable from computer and plug into WAN port of your Router.
8. In your router settings enter the PPPoE username & password. Follow instructions in your router's user manual to enable DHCP on your router.
You should now be connected to the Internet using your modem & router in bridged mode.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 24, 2011 4:58:49 PM PDT
AG says:
Just want to thank you for this mini tutorial. My wireless computers were constantly losing their internet connections. They'd remain connected to the router though, and windows network and sharing center would show "local access only". Since changing the settings in the modem, everything is working smoothly. Thanks again.

Posted on May 9, 2011 9:24:59 PM PDT
Tim says:
Thanks Raj. Your tutorial had me going with my Cradlepoint wireless router in 10 minutes. Big time saver!

Posted on Aug 5, 2011 2:44:50 PM PDT
Just adding my thanks as well. This made quick work of setup to use my ddwrt firmware-based router.

Posted on Aug 22, 2011 3:15:30 PM PDT
B. Hancock says:
Many thanks...It had been a while since I had last done this but thanks to your mini guide I was up and running in about a minute and a half.

Very helpful.

Posted on Aug 31, 2011 4:33:42 PM PDT
CoVAX says:
You have my thanks also.

There is NO mention in Actiontec's User Manual for how to configure the GT701D to work with an external router, nor was any mention of this made on the item's website.

Before reading your review, I had gone through six failed attempts to get the GT701D to work with an external router--including a 31 minute phone call to their third-world (and third-class!) customer service.

Fortunately your advice was spot-on.

Posted on Oct 8, 2011 12:24:30 AM PDT
S&W Systems says:
Thank you very much, Raj! I just purchased the Actiontec GT701D DSL Modem and there were no instructions on how to configure it in bridged mode. I spent two frustrating hours looking for a solution and finally found your detailed step-by-step instructions. And now I'm able to use my wireless router thanks to you! You da man!!

Posted on Dec 27, 2011 6:43:28 PM PST
Elsa says:
Raj,
Thanks for the instructions; they worked perfectly with my wireless router. I had to reboot my laptop before I had internet access, but I think that had more to do with turning my wireless network connection back on. I had phone service with my voip phone adapter immediately.

Posted on Jan 29, 2012 6:03:27 PM PST
The D Man says:
Thanks Raj. Indeed your instructions helped tremendously!!!

Posted on Apr 4, 2012 3:38:04 AM PDT
David Hamby says:
Thanks for guide..me and my WII Netflix thank you!

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 5:05:52 PM PDT
Perfect. I just replaced a 2210 and I remember the PPP passthrough process on that being fairly longwinded. Had mine going in under 10, thanks for the advice. People like you make the internet a better place!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›