5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!!!, May 13, 2011
This review is from: Apple iMac MC309LL/A 21.5-Inch Desktop (OLD VERSION) (Personal Computers)
I have been considering an Apple computer for a while now, and have been reluctant to buy because of the high price tag, compared to PCs with similar technical specs. For example, a Dell Inspiron All in One with 4GB SDD3 RAM, 500GB hard drive, 2.8Ghz processor, comparable graphics card and larger, brighter 23" screen retails for 599. For 1199, you can get the same Dell model with a touch screen, 1TB hard drive, 8GB RAM, 1GB video card, and a bunch of other stuff, running Windows 7. That's twice as much computer, right?

Maybe not. I went into a Best Buy store to play with a Mac, and spent almost two hours comparing this computer to the ones I just mentioned. I ended up buying the Mac, and am entirely convinced that it is well worth the price tag. First of all, even with less RAM, the Mac was faster and performed much better than a tech spec superior PC. It ran several memory draining and intensive applications, like video editing software, iTunes, and web browsers playing video SIMULTANEOUSLY without any noticeable lag. The programs all started up almost instantly, and everything just seemed to work. The PC that had 8 gigs of RAM could not perform all of those tasks at once without slowing down. Second, the Mac doesn't require a seperate anti-virus software purchase. It's supposed to be virtually unhackable, and you won't have like a dozen McAfee processes running in the background to slow your computer down. That peace of mind for internet security alone is worth the extra money to me.

One of my other reservations for buying a Mac was having to use a different operating system, and after years of running Windows, I didn't want to have to learn how to use a computer again. However, after playing with the Mac even for just a few minutes, I realized that it was very intuitive, and as easy to use as a PC. For example, when you want to print a document on a PC, you click the tab on the upper right hand corner, find "print" and click- same thing as on the Mac. All of the menus are pretty much identical for the word processors and internet browsers, and unless you're planning on writing or editing the DOS, there isn't much you'll have to adapt to.

Finally, the software that comes with this thing is AWESOME. The photo/video software is amazingly useful, and I can't imagine anything out there that you can buy that is as good as this stock software. There is music editing, and a bunch of other stuff that is just as good as the photo software, and while I haven't had the opportunity to really try everything out yet, I don't think I will be disappointed with any of it. To top it off, everyone raves about the customer support you get when you get an apple product. I hope I'll never have to use it, but it helps to know that Apple stands behind their products. Bottom line is, I'm really happy with my purchase.

*Update Dec 28 2011*
I just read some of the comments on my review, and I just don't understand why people can be so defensive about why I think this outperformed the PCs that I tried and have used. I can say that I've owned dozens of computers in the last two decades, and I don't think I've ever had one that is as solid as this one. I've used it for almost a year, and to this date have not had even a SINGLE glitch. All of the programs perform as expected, I have not had problems with passwords or emails being hacked, and I don't notice any performance degradation. I don't know or understand technical specs as well as most folks, I don't need to "mod" my computer or do anything that's resource draining besides video editing, I'm just an average user. I know that PCs have their strengths over Macs, but as far as what an average user would need, I don't think it gets any better than a Mac. I've tried to find used Macs for my kids room on craigslist, and most go for about 3/4 - 80% RETAIL!!! Show me a PC that gets that kind of resale value. As far as the defensive PC users are concerned, I'm glad that you can buy a product that you are happy with at a fraction of a cost. For me, peace of mind is worth a little extra bread.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 12 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 62 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 22, 2011 12:02:24 AM PDT
Congratulations on your first Mac. I just bought this one myself few days ago, gonna write a review some time later. Windows is much slower, people don't realize that, because they just look at numbers and not the actual performance.

I also have Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit to play games, and everything in Windows is noticeably slower. Safari and iTunes for example opens instantly in MacOS, but it takes couple of seconds in Windows.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2011 9:40:29 PM PDT
V. Yalung says:
Thanks, and yeah, I know what you mean by just "looking at numbers." I was always under the impression that more RAM and processor speed automatically meant better performance, but I guess it's the same as with cars. I had a 6 liter Pontiac GTO in 06 with 400 horsepower and can do a quarter mile in 13 seconds. It's too bad it couldn't do much else, because everything from the clocks, radio and dash zonked out one by one until the tranny gave up. They sold me with the horsepower, but I would have been better off buying a Honda.

Posted on May 29, 2011 9:51:11 AM PDT
Rick says:
"It's supposed to be virtually unhackable, and you won't have like a dozen McAfee processes running in the background to slow your computer down. That peace of mind for internet security alone is worth the extra money to me."

While it is absolutely true that the Mac OS has never had a virus outbreak, you still need to be smart when web surfing. Yes, the amount of Mac targeted trojans and malware is small in comparison to the amount targeted at Windows users, but it does exist and is just as disruptive.

Apple recently published an article on how to remove and/or avoid the latest malware outbreak - Mac Defender

Be sure to check it out.

Posted on Jun 8, 2011 6:13:52 PM PDT
Yes I am planning to buy one, and buying here is a little cheaper, but does it comes with the same warranty as one bought from the apple store? Plz let me knwo.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2011 6:32:00 PM PDT
Yes it does. 90 day phone support and 1 year warranty. You can always buy AppleCare before your original year runs out. I would recommend it, just in case.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2011 6:36:19 PM PDT
Rick says:
As Platon has already said, yes it is the same warranty as buying from the Apple store. And you can buy Apple Care from Amazon as well to extend coverage into years 2 and 3. And it isn't a bad idea depending on your level of tech know-how. The iMac is much like a laptop in that self repairs are significantly more complicated than a standard desktop computer.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2011 6:38:44 PM PDT
Rick says:
Also Sergio, you might benefit from reading up on July's 10.7 Lion release and the Magic Trackpad. The operating system is moving heavily towards gestures and having a Magic Trackpad will likely be to most iMac user's benefit. That is a $64.80 purchase on Amazon, but you can have it instead of the Magic Mouse when buying direct from Apple. Just something to consider.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2011 7:43:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 8, 2011 7:45:25 PM PDT
Sergio, also consider that, just like Rick said, you can choose trackpad from Apple instead of a mouse, free of charge. I have a mouse and I really like it. Personally I don't think trackpad would suit a desktop, but it's up to a person. Also, you get 100 dollar rebate for a printer from Apple. I got Wireless Epson for example for free. I am very happy with it. With wireless keyboard, mouse and a printer, I literally have no wires at all! So, buying from Apple has its benefits as well, depending on what you need.

Also, don't forget about 50 dollar student discount, it'll make iMac 1149. Also, they'll probably start their back to school promotion, which will let you get free 8GB iPod Touch, or other iPods as well. I don't know if you're a student or not, but, something to think about.

Posted on Jun 9, 2011 10:29:39 AM PDT
Thank you guys, really helped me with the warranty, as for the track pad I am really used to a mouse and I have several gaming mouse that I could use if I don't like the magic mouse, Thanks for your comments.

Posted on Jun 9, 2011 10:29:43 AM PDT