5.0 out of 5 stars Good price, full Amazon support but be aware that this is an EXTENSION cable, November 17, 2009
This review is from: AmazonBasics USB 2.0 A-Male to A-Female Extension Cable (3.3 Feet/1.0 Meter) (Personal Computers)
Please be aware that this is NOT a longer USB cable. It is an extension cable with 'Type A' connectors at BOTH ends (male and female) - meaning that this cable will NOT connect 2 devices by itself. It will only work with and extend a 'regular' USB cable that has a 'Type A' male connector at one end. 'Type A' is the type of connector that would normally plug into your computer or laptop USB port.

These being said, I found it quite useful with peripherals that come with permanently attached cables that are not as long as I wish they were. I am using mine with a Logitech Driving Force GT Racing Wheel and with a T-flight Hostas joystick on which we can use a longer cable.

There's not much to say other than everything is done right, including the price. It is USB 2.0 certified and connectors at both ends appear to be gold-plated and solidly built. This is important because, unlike a HDMI cable that you usually plug it in at the back of your equipment and it's likely to stay there, USB cables tend to be plugged in and out many times and this is even more so the case with an extension cable.

While USB cables are clearly a commodity item these days, AmazonBasics cables do have a couple of advantages over the competition.

- EASY RETURN - I know because I had to return quite a few items for various reasons. Amazon makes it very easy and, if you are returning the item because it came defective or damaged Amazon pays for shipping.

- WARRANTY - these wires come with a 1-year warranty.I am highly confident that Amazon will be around to honor its warranty and I'm not so sure about vendors I know less.

- QUALITY ASSURANCE - I've never had any problems with 'cheap' USB or HDMI cables but it may be reassuring to have Amazon's name on a wire. My assumption is that Amazon did insist on some quality checks before they stamped their logo on the product.

- PRICE - This cable may appear more expensive than others but keep in mind that, unlike most, it qualifies for SuperSavers and Amazon Prime free shipping.

I am awarding this item 5 stars for price and quality - there's nothing to complain. There may be better deals out there, pricewise but I decided to go with the Amazon brand in this case for the reasons cited above.

____________________________________

Note:

I ended up using the 9.8 Feet / 3.0 Meters version of this wire because the price difference is insignificant and, if you need it to be shorter, just make a little loop, no big deal but if you get a short wire the only way to extend it is to get yourself an... extension cable :)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 2, 2011 6:47:17 PM PST
V. Espejo says:
Hi, 1st let me say good review. I feel like I own it already after reading this review, but I have a question, does this cable work with Iphones Ive bought a cable similar to this one on amazon an tried too use it an it just didnt work for the Iphone......

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2011 4:14:22 PM PDT
JB says:
I have this extension cable and it works just fine with my iPhone 4 and my iPod Touch 4g.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2011 6:27:47 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 28, 2011 6:28:11 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2011 6:28:23 AM PDT
A. pacheco says:
good to know. just to clarify, does it charge?

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2011 9:23:47 AM PDT
I use it with may iPod Touch to sync and charge. I think it works about as fast as plugging it into my Mac directly.

Posted on Mar 13, 2012 4:31:46 PM PDT
R. Little says:
But might a longer cable degrade performance of something like a mouse?

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 11:45:52 AM PST
Lou Rolofson says:
AmazonBasics USB 2.0 A-Male to A-Female Extension Cable (9.8 Feet/3.0 Meters) I hope you or anyone else may be able to help me. I believe the way you explained this review about these cables is I will be able to use them for my computer tower. I have several usb ports in back of my tower, but it is very hard to get back there to hook anything to them. If I plugged one end of this in the usb slot in back of tower, could I then use the other end to plug in an external hard drive or External DVD Burner, or just a reg. flash drive. Is this correct, if not what should I buy that would work for what I need. Thank You, for taking time to help someone that doesn't have a clue what to buy.
Louis Rolofson

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 11:17:09 AM PST
R. Little says:
It depends. I think you want an extension cable with two "male" plugs. One end inserts into the back of the computer, and the other would insert into your external drive, provided it has a USB port. To connect from the back of your computer to a flash drive you would need a cable with one male and one female plug.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 3:04:42 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 22, 2013 3:06:38 PM PST]

Posted on Aug 12, 2014 11:34:53 AM PDT
D. Templeton says:
Can I use this to extend the length of my I PAD 2 cable. I like to use my I PAD in bed but cable is to short to use and charge at same time. I ordered the wrong thing once and do not want to make that mistake again.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

Reviewer

A. Dent "Aragorn"
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (#1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)

Location: Minas Anor, GD