5.0 out of 5 stars Getting Uncharted 3 for free when buying the PS3 320GB, January 10, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: PS3 320GB Uncharted 3 Bundle (Video Game)
I'm breaking down this review in 3 catagories which are the saving cost of buying the bundle, The PS3 System itself, and the UNCHARTED 3 game.

1. Savings as far as buying as a bundle:

This is actually a really good deal for 2 reasons. One, the PS3 320GB system normally cost anywhere new between $290 and $300 dollars by itself which means your getting Uncharted 3 (As of this writing the retail is between between $50 and $60 dollars) for free. Second, is with the cost of Hard drives having doubled and in some cases almost tripled due to the current hard drive shortage the hard drive alone is worth anywhere between $150 to $200 dollars by itself. the overall cost savings on both items mentioned more than justifies this purchase.

2. The PS3 Game Console System:

This is actually our family's second PS3, the 1st one my son got an almost pristine PS3 1st Generation 60gb CECHAxx Launch model (November 2006) from his 2 best friends as a Christmas Present, not realizing at the time what a diamond in the rough he was receiving. I'm not going to lie to you, If anybody still owns one of this original launch models and it still works, KEEP IT! They are vastly superior to these newer "Slim" Models that Sony is now selling. The reason for the additional purchase is Problems started to arise with "play time" on the PS3 with my son so I decided to go ahead and purchase one for myself and the rest of the family. With that being said, I will move on with the review of this 320GB 4th generation PS3 Slim Model (CECH-30xxB series).

The Hardware on the inside is the same reliable PS3 Hardware Sony has sold since almost after the launch of the original PS3 in North America (Once they fixed the Blu-Ray defect). Starts right up, plays my PS3 Games perfectly, works with my blu-rays, and works perfectly with my home Network. The Dual Shock 3 wireless Controller that comes with it works awesome and is easy to use. The HDMI and Sound are also equally awesome (Has to be plugged into a "amplifier/receiver" to tap into the Dolby Digital sound experience). As far as the drawbacks go there really is only 1 that stares you right in the face and that is the New "Slim" Design, It's God Awful. The Best way to describe is as my oldest son put it; "Dad, That looks Ghetto!"; However, due to its size it was easily hidden inside my entertainment center and barely noticeable to the naked eye. The only other minor problem is sometimes you can hear the hard drive on the PS3 when it's being written to and read to.

Features of the PS3 4th Generation Console:
* 802.11b/g Wi-Fi
* 2 X USB 2.0 ports
* BRAVIA Sync XMB control (CEC)
* Slimmer form factor
* Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio bitstreaming (available Through Optical Sound Cord with an open optical port on your Home Theaters "Amplifier/Receiver")
* 320GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive (Upgradeable up to 1TB 9.5mm form factor laptop hard drives)
* 3D Capable for both 3D Blu-Ray Games and Movies (You muat have a 3D capable monitor or TV in order for this to work)
* Plays normal CD and DVD movie or Music ROMS
* 10/100/1000 built-in NIC
* Playstation 1 (PS1) Backward Compatibility. Updated 11-13-2012: Just FYI the AMAZON Description of the this PS3 Slim Bundle is WRONG concerning NO Backward compatibility for the PS1, I just tested Duke Nukem: A Time to Kill for the PS1 just recently (about 2 weeks ago)and it worked like a champ.
* 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p Resolution (Up to 1080p with HDMI cord and 1080p monitor/TV, 480i with RCA plugs only)
* Reduced Heat Output

Features Removed/No Longer available on this generation PS3 console that was available in previous PS3 Generation Models:
* 4 USB 2.0 ports
* SACD playback
* Linux support
* Flash memory card readers
* Playstation 2 (PS2) Backward Compatibility

Accessories that comes in the Box with the PS3 Game System:
* Dual Shock 3 Wireless Controller (1)
* USB Recharge Cord for Dual Shock 3 Controller (1)
* AC Cord (1)
* Modified PS3 RCA plugs (1)
* Uncharted 3: Drakes Deception (1) - Only comes with the Uncharted 3 PS3 Bundle

Recommend additional Accessories at time of purchase:
* Additional PlayStation 3 Dualshock 3 Wireless Controller (Black)
* Eforcity HDMI Cable, 10 feet
* Mediabridge - Toslink Cable - Optical Digital Audio Cable - 6ft (Only If planning to plug your PS3 into your Home Theatre Receiver Sound System)

Another plus to this Game system is the feature rich applications that are available for use that come with the PS3 Standard like Netflix (monthly fee), Video & Picture Editing, Use of the PSN Network, and Internet browsing. Also Additional Accessories like the MOVE Package can be added to this system as well.

3. The Uncharted 3 Game:

For those who have played the previous Uncharted games you will not be disappointed, it bigger and badder than before. Nathan Drake and mentor Victor Sullivan are once again traveling around the world to such places as the Rub' al Khali desert, in search of the legendary lost city, the Iram of the Pillars. Elena Fisher and Chloe Frazer also return in Uncharted 3. The plot draws from the archaeology days of T. E. Lawrence.

Several new features have been included in the game, including mechanics that create gameplay situations designed to assist the losing team, improves ability enhancements and augmentations that must be purchased for each use, special abilities that are made available when a certain amount of medals has been attained within a match, and "Uncharted TV", a small video window that appears throughout the multiplayer menus, creating a video that can be uploaded to Facebook, YouTube or the XMB. Multiplayer also includes a character creation system, allowing a user to extensively customise their in-game character. Co-operative multiplayer also returns from Uncharted 2.

Other than that it's like most everybodys review of the game, graphics are aewsome, game play astounding, you will be playing for hours to play the game.

4. In Conclusion: Wether you are buying a PS3 for the first time, adding a second one, want the game and would not hurt to have another PS3, or just replacing a no longer working PS3 this is the bundle to get. I would overall highly recommend picking up.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 11, 2012 10:23:20 PM PST
To quote the console specs above, "Backwards Compatibility (PS1 and PS2 games) - No". But your review says that there is backwards compatibility for Playstation 1. I think I do have some of those ancient games around here somewhere. Do they really work? And what about the PS2 games, will they work? And why shouldn't they, BTW? It would seem logical to me for Sony to make a machine capable of playing the previous generation's games.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 7:35:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 11, 2013 3:53:48 PM PST
Hi Leonard,

I will answer your questions the best I can from what I know from the research and actual use of the PS3 system.

When Sony released the PS3 back in late 2006 the hardware of those Launch Models (Now called the 1st and 2nd Generation Models of the PS3 - The "PS3 FAT") did support Backward compatibility for the PS2 (Only the 1st Generation PS3 Consoles really had the full "Hardware Compatibility" for the PS2, the 2nd Generation Consoles only had the "Software Emulation" that only worked half the time) and PS1 games, however starting with the 3rd generation forward (Including the later generation "PS3 Fat" along with the "PS3 Slim" and the newest the "PS3 Super-slim") Sony decided to take the Compatibility Feature out for the PS2 due to technical difficulties it was having early in the PS3's infancy (Believe it or not the PS3 was list as one of the 25 tech disasters of 2006 at I believe No.7 primarily due to the blu-ray problems but secondarily the PS2 Compatibility issue).

Sony also figured that since the PS2 was still available to be brought new for a mere $99 (or around $30 used 2nd hand) they did not see the point in keeping it's functionality within the PS3, Heck 3rd party vendors still make new games for it even as of this writing (UPDATE: This changed Jan 2013 when Sony officially discontinued the PS2, However you can still pick up a PS2 console second hand for around $30 dollars at Gamestop).

As far as the PS1 all the documentation I found says it will still support those games on the PS3, I just came into possession of a few PS1 games myself and will test it out tonight for you and get back so I can say for sure.

Hopefully this answered your question, again I will get back to you on the PS1 compatibility.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 12:09:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 12:07:11 PM PST
Hi Leonard,

I just got done testing Duke Nukem: A Time to Kill for the PS1 and it worked like a charm. on my PS3 Slim (The Model I wrote my review on).

So in a nutshell the Amazon Description concerning the PS1 Compatibility is WRONG, this generation PS3 will support PS1 games.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 12:40:27 PM PST
Great, John, I guess I'll have to start digging deeply to the back of my closet to see what I have back there. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 1:57:41 PM PST
ITBeast says:
No Problem, Glad I could help. This actually game me a chance to confirm what I had been reading from other sources that PS1 games were backward compatible on the newer PS3 models. I could not do this before because at the time I had purchased my PS3 I did not own any PS1 Games until just recently.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2013 7:41:47 AM PST
AMIGO CUANDO ADQUIRISTE TU PS3 CON QUE VESION TENIA ESPERO TU PRONTA RESPUESTA GRACIAS.
Friend when you purchased your PS3 vesion HAD HOPE THAT YOUR PROMPT REPLY THANKS.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2013 11:08:03 PM PST
Q. Parker says:
Thanks for the deep details, I wished I would have researched this sooner before I made my purchase some time last year (2012) but I had my PS3 this long thinking it wasn't PS1 compatible just misinformation, so your reviews help incredibly. As I did use an ps one classic Final Fantasy Tactics and it worked well. Thank you and enjoy.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 1:46:16 PM PST
ITBeast says:
Glad I was able to help, it is really to bad Amazon does not fix the over-site in it's description concerning the PS1 games. Believe it or not there are alot of people out there that still have their PS1 games and NOT having that on their description is really a disservice to their customers.

Posted on Apr 3, 2013 8:21:12 AM PDT
A customer says:
Should I get this or the 500GB ACIII bundle?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2013 12:18:44 PM PDT
Hello Hawk 23,

I would recommend going with the 500GB AC III Super Slim Model/Bundle. The only real differences in the console itself (Not the hard drive) is that it's smaller and has a Manuel top loader vice the automatic side loader. All the other specs I mentioned previously are the same on the super slim console that are this slim console.

With the AC III Bundle you get the following extra over this Uncharted III Bundle that I originally got...
- The AC III Game normally $60 you pretty much get free. The Uncharted 3 game you can get for about $17 dollars now (Or pay the $10 dollars more and get the game of the year edition).
- The 500GB Hard drive which is 180GB more than what came with this model.

If I was buying a PS3 model today it would be the AC III Bundle, A lot of value for the buck.

However the next model for me for the PlayStation will be the PS4.

Hope this helps with your decision.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (258 customer reviews)

$349.95
Reviewer

Location: The Greater Los Angeles Area, Ca.