4.0 out of 5 stars Great camera, December 14, 2012
This review is from: Canon EOS 6D 20.2 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD (Body Only) (Electronics)
24 January 2013 - Update.

I downloaded the Wi-Fi app into my IOS devices. It works great. I can put my 6D near ground level and pointing up, preview the composition and take the shot. My wife can review pictures taken before I load them up into my laptop. The only downside to this app is that it drains the battery of my IOS devices quicker than I wish.

Original review:

Photography is my hobby. I take pictures on weekends, vacation, or business travels for my company. Also, I like to geo-tag my pictures as a way to remind me where the photos were taken. So for me, this camera is great.

People's complaints about its 20 MP (vs. 24 MP of some other brand) sound misplaced to me. The consequence of this low pixel count is the low pixel density, which resulted in excellent noise performance in low light / high ISO of the 6D. Since many pictures I took and will take are during business travel for my employer, they are taken mostly at or after sunset, or indoors. This very low-noise at high ISO performance of the 6D is a very big positive for me.

The 6D has 11 AF points (vs. some very high count of some other brand). More than enough for hobbyist like me.

The lack of a built-in flash is at worst -1/2 star, in my view. I rarely used the pop-up flash since this kind of flash is typically weak. Canon's decision to forgo the built-in flash to make room for the Wi-Fi and GPS circuitry is commendable. Since the performance of the 6D in low-light / high ISO is so good, my need for a pop flash is greatly reduced; I like pictures with a more natural look. Besides, I carry an external flash anyway. As for the sync speed of the flash (1/180 vs 1/200), I struggle to imagine a case that this small difference would affect me.

Talking about Wi-Fi. The feature is another big plus, in my opinion. my smartphone or my tablet will act as a cable release. And I can review my pictures on my tablet soon afterward, a much better proposition than viewing them on the display on the back of the camera, without having to wait for a laptop or desktop.

The lack of 2nd card slot may be a deficiency of the 6D vs. its competitors. But so far, all my cameras have only one card slot; So I don't find this "deficiency" a big deal.

The 97% viewfinder of the 6D (vs. ~100% of other full-frame cameras) is a more significant issue. On rare occasions, I do end up with additional elements at the fringes / edges of my pictures than I anticipated since they didn't show up in my viewfinder. Again, these occurrences are few and far in between.

A very nice surprise is the very low noise the mirror of the 6D makes as it flips up. And I didn't even put it in silent mode. Will try this mode (and others) as soon as I can. After all, I only have this camera for 3 days.

I took a few pictures of my wife inside our home, under incandescent lights, with ISO set to 25600, and with GPS on. The results were great. The GPS was surprisingly accurate. Sorry guys, I won't post these pictures up.

In conclusion, I find the pluses of the 6D far outweigh the perceived deficiencies. I recommend this camera.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 23, 2012 2:54:47 PM PST
James T. Yeh says:
I still don't understand why lacking the built-in flash is not a big deal. There are often situations that one just needs a bit flash to 'fill in', especially in out door situations. One can always carry an external flash or do a ton of post-processing. But a built-in flash will be so convenient. Carrying lenses is enough trouble if I can do away from carrying flashes. Dose anybody have better tricks?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 2:18:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 24, 2013 4:37:24 AM PST
P. Vo says:
I don't use the built-in flash on my old 50D that often. Yes, there were occasions I did use it; but those were rare. I always carried and will still carry my external flash. So, for my case, I don't anticipate the lack of a built-in flash on the 6D will be a problem. I tend to stick with 1 lens, so I have room for an external flash.

Since I take most of my pictures while traveling for my job, I rather trade off the built-in flash for the GPS capability. I had several external GPS logging devices and a smartphone app. The external GPS loggers, while light weight, did not last long; their batteries could not hold charges after a few trips. The smartphone app sucks up battery quickly. So far the GPS tracking capability of the 6D is accurate enough for my application. Yes the battery of the 6D depletes the battery, but it's not bad at all (about 1/4 for a 10-hour trip).

:-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 3:07:28 PM PST
James T. Yeh says:
Thank you. It seems that all the pros do this way.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2013 9:45:56 AM PDT
A full frame camera needs a larger pentaprism. Trying to put a built in flash on top of a full frame pentaprism enclosure would make the camera much taller and more awkward looking.

Everything in cameras is a compromise.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2013 10:50:16 AM PDT
James T. Yeh says:
Thomas, Thanks for the explanation.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›