4.0 out of 5 stars Nice enough..., August 29, 2008
This review is from: Love My Life (DVD)
I watched this movie today. It is a good movie, not fantastic but nice enough. I agree with another reviewer who said the first part of the movie and the rest are very different, almost like another movie. The beginning of the movie is a sweet depiction of the relationship between the two twenty something year old women. In the middle it is less frothy and has more conflict and angst. I won't mention the ending; I don't want to spoil the ending for anyone.

If you are looking for steamy and graphic sex scenes you won't find that here. This movie reminds me of our lesbian movies of 10 or 20 years ago. It is more simple and innocent than the usual fare today. Knowing nothing of lesbians in Japan I don't know whether this movie is groundbreaking or usual. I wish there was an interview with the writers and directors of Love My Life and perhaps a documentary on lesbian life in Japan. It would be helpful to watch this movie in the context of GLBT life in Japan.

The extras on the DVD are few. They include deleted scenes, without subtitles and a Japanese trailer.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 18, 2009 4:22:40 PM PDT
Daven says:
This isn't really groundbreaking in Japan -- at least not in terms of content. Japan has had a genre pretty similar to this movie called "girls love"; the stories are usually centred around high school or college students who do little more than hold hands and, ultimately, make some statement about 'gender doesn't matter'. What IS unusual about this movie is the fact that it's live action -- most of the girls love genre is animated -- and that it was shown in theatres (even if it was only a few) instead of being released directly to DVD.

I don't think it was particularly groundbreaking, but neither was it usual. It certainly does seem to have opened up the floor for more live action girls love films, which I applaud, even if the genre is sometimes frustrating (too many vapid expressions; not enough action, or even hints of action). Interestingly enough, the book upon which this movie was based was not nearly so innocent (well, it was, because the characters are essentially the same and the so is the story, but there was a lot more nudity and sex).

I'm sorry to hear that the DVD extras are so few. I've been wavering between purchasing the Japanese DVD or the American one because I wanted to support the licensing of Japanese films in America, but the Japanese version claims to come with several other extras and I'll probably spend my money on that instead.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2013 7:26:06 PM PDT
Thevoice says:
What was the name of the book that this movie is based upon? Is the book titled "Love My Life"? I ask because I have tried to search for the book online and haven't been successful. Thank you.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (12 customer reviews)

$24.95 $12.58