4.0 out of 5 stars A very capable printer, but expensive!, December 11, 2011
This review is from: Canon PIXMA MG8220 Wireless Inkjet Photo All-In-One Printer (5293B002) (Office Product)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I own the MP600. It's been working flawlessly for the past 3 years. It does everything I want - copying, scanning, printing, handling envelopes. I've even used the card slot to print photos occasionally, though I prefer to run them through Photoshop if I'm going to print them. I've even managed to get it to print CDs by buying the tray on eBay, and changing the firmware country to Europe. The only thing I wanted and it didn't have is network access.

A network print server is relatively inexpensive, but you may not have access to some features of the printer. In this case, you won't have access to the scanning features, and likely other features as well. So when I had a chance to review this unit, I jumped at the opportunity.

Physically, this unit is bulkier than the MP600. The touch buttons that light up only when valid is nice, but personally I prefer physical buttons - they're harder to press by mistake when your finger is hovering above them wondering what to press. The unit came secured with LOTS of pieces of tape. The MG8220 comes with a film adapter (for scanning film) and a CD tray. While the film adapter is nicely stored behind the white panel on the scanner lid, I have a feeling I'll forget where I stored the CD tray soon. Remember to unlock the scanner before using.

Setup is quite straightforward - just follow the instructions. Before first use, the printer needs to be calibrated by printing onto a (included) sheet of paper. Two sheets of the special paper is included. Wireless setup was not described in the quick start guide, but I managed to connect it to my wifi network by just going through what's available on the printer's menu.

I installed the printer drivers and a scanning application, downloading the latest version from Canon's website instead of using the included disk. Scanning and printing worked as expected. Scanning seems slower than on the MP600 - it "warms up" first before scanning - but the scans look better. Printing is faster, except that sometimes it seems to take forever to begin printing. I've no idea what it is doing with all the whirring for a minute before it starts printing. It does duplex through some black magic I haven't figured out. I have not tried the film scanner.

I leave the printer unplugged from power when it is not in use, and every time I plug it in, it connects to the network very quickly. It only has a 2.4 GHz radio - it does not see my 802.11n network on 5 GHz.

This model commands a significant price premium over the next lower model. The only difference I could see when comparing specs is in the scanner. Other than the film scanner, it seems to have a different scanner technology. The scanning element is CCD compared to CIS (contact image sensor). According to Wikipedia, CIS is less expensive and has lower power requirement, but produces lower quality image, especially if the scanned material is not completely flat. I'm not sure if the light source is different as well, Canon's specs wasn't clear on this.

So, the higher price is worth it only if you require the better scanner (especially if you want to scan film). Otherwise, the less expensive models may be sufficient.

Rating it 4 stars for the price and the time it takes to print the first page. It does everything I want it to (wireless printing is just fantastic - works flawlessly every time I used it) and has a few tricks up its sleeve. I need to explore printing from my Android devices. At this price 3 years ago, I'd have rated it an enthusiastic 5 stars, but there are much less expensive options available these days, even for wireless multifunction ink jet printers.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 10, 2012 10:48:12 AM PST
Mark Soper says:
Why did you buy a CD tray if it came with one?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2012 10:49:50 PM PST
Lenny says:
I bought a CD tray for the MP600, which didn't come with one, not for this printer.

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 4:46:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 22, 2012 4:47:14 PM PDT
M. Sheldon says:
I currently own an MP600 and did the same CD mod. I am now interested in upgrading printers and enjoyed your informative review of the MG8220.

I plan to connect the printer by the ethernet connection. I have one question: can you use the scanner with the ethernet conenction? I read one comment that said the USB connection was required for the scanner.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2012 6:06:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 22, 2012 6:07:02 PM PDT
Lenny says:
I've scanned over wireless (wired Ethernet should be no different - and probably less problematic) on Windows 7 and Vista, after installing Canon's drivers.

You can initiate the scan from your computer, or from the printer itself (with your computer up and running). The printer will scan (pun unintended) the network and ask which computer to send the scanned image to.

This printer sure costs a fair bit more than its lower end alternatives from Canon. But it has been trouble free for me so far. Even the wireless connection is flawless, to my surprise. I don't have it connected to USB at all.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

Reviewer

Lenny
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Location: FREMONT, CA, United States