5.0 out of 5 stars A $2k pro camera. Did you expect perfection?, February 16, 2012
This review is from: Canon XA10 Professional Camcorder with 64GB Internal Flash Memory and Full Manual Control (Camera)
I received my XA10 two (2) days ago and I must say that I really love this little guy! There are a couple things that surprised me right out of the box:

1. The camera body feels really sturdy and rugged. I expected it to feel a little cheap.
2. It feels heavier than it looks. This is great when you're trying to get a good moving and hand-held shot.

Lets get the "bad" stuff out of the way first.

Cons:

1. The handle buttons DO rattle a bit, but I haven't had an issue with them interfering with the sound as of yet. If they do, I'll just put a Velcro strap over them. Problem solved for 10 cents.

2. The menus are difficult at first, but with a little practice and use of Canon's shortcuts at the bottom these can be overcome.

3. The touch screen isn't as responsive as I'd like, but it's only a minor annoyance. I plan on getting a stylus to operate it a little easier. I don't like getting fingerprints on the beautiful LCD.

4. The stock battery leaves something to be desired, but that's not an expensive fix either.

Now for the good (awesome) stuff:

Pros:

1. The handle is a GREAT feature! Even if it didn't have XLR inputs on the handle, I'd get the camera just for that. It makes lower angled shots a joy not to mention carrying the thing.

2. Are you kidding me with this LCD? It's bright and helps a lot with focusing. I can hardly wait to get a hood on it to make the viewfinder obsolete.

3. Depth of field. I know this is only a 1/3" chip, but it looks fantastic when you want to throw your background out of focus so your audience is drawn in to the emotion of the scene. Don't get me wrong, it's not as great as a DSLR (because size does matter), but for a camera of this size and cost, I don't think it's matched (yes I know the VG20 just came out, but it doesn't have XLR or built-in memory so there :-p).

4. Built-in memory! 64GB is PLENTY for your average day (and well above-average day too). I can shoot for a week on that without having to dump anything to a computer. What does this mean for me? I DON'T have to take a laptop to Africa or wherever I'm shooting. Try getting that out of any other camera for less than $2500.

5. Dual SD slots. Instant backups are nice when you're on a film. People lose stuff. I lose stuff. It's the way of life. I'd rather have 2 (or 3) of something and lose 1 than the alternative.

6. The lens is awesome too. Sure it's only a 10x zoom, but what does that mean really? It's a 30-300mm 35mm equivalent which gets me pretty close to most action. I shoot football games on the sideline for a local high school. I WAS using a Sony DSR-250 with a 12x zoom (about the same magnification, ~25-300mm 35mm equivalent) and that reached where I needed it to 99% of the time. Plus the trade-off here is that you get a constant f-stop throughout the zoom. Not many cameras can boast that.

7. Great low-light performance for a single-chip. At low light the noise is visible, but I can live with that. It's not like I shoot in a room with no lights on all the time. "Slumdog Millionaire" won best cinematography and had A LOT more noise in some of their shots... just sayin'.

8. This one goes without saying, but professional XLR inputs with dials and phantom power! 'Nuf said.

Anyway. I could go on, but this review is getting long. Bottom line is: I think that the complaints about this camera are valid ones, but they're easily dealt with. If you're on a budget (like myself), you have to be mobile, and you need XLR inputs, this is the camera for you.

(3/27/2012 edit)

A few new thoughts about this camera:

I STILL haven't had a problem with the buttons rattling and I shoot mostly handheld and following action.

One thing that does bother me (so minor for me that I don't really care but some might) is the headphone jack is under the LCD screen. This seems like an odd place if you're going to use the viewfinder. Solution: Use the LCD, and if sun is a problem, get or make a hood for it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 24, 2014 12:59:00 AM PDT
Could you please explain what are the implications of the fact that "the camera is region locked, so the US model is set at 24p/30p/60i and the Europe+Asia model at 24p/25p/50i"? What is it that I will be unable to do as a result should I buy the US model and try to use it in Europe?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2014 6:07:01 AM PDT
W. Wigs says:
What being "region locked" means is that if you buy the US version and want to use it on European TV, you'll have to convert it from NTSC to PAL. On the other hand, if you buy the European version and want to use it on US TV, you'll have to convert it from PAL to NTSC. The good news is that programs like Adobe Premiere CC and Final Cut Pro have made this process very easy. If you're publishing to the web (e.g. YouTube), then it won't matter which one you buy.

I hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2014 8:54:14 AM PDT
Thank you very much for your truly prompt and helpful response.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›