5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece!, September 29, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Borderlands 2 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
There are few games out there that I truly consider to be a "masterpiece". Having played tons of games over the past years, I can say that B2 ranks very high on my list of all-time favorites. I can only think of a handful of games that keeps me wanting to play all day long and keeps me thinking about playing even after shutting it off.

This game is by no means perfect, and does not introduce anything revolutionary, but refines just about every aspect of B1 and makes them better.

Positives
+ Very polished graphics and improved level design. The levels are huge and do not reload midstream which is a technical achievement in itself. Maps are varied for the most part.
+ Voice work is fantastic. The writing is absolutely hilarious.
+ Controls are spot-on as before in B1. No big surprises here.
+ Weapons look super cool even if they don't always perform as well as you like. Every gun does have a unique look and feel, although the performance specs can sometimes be very similar to other guns you have already seen.
+ Skill tree seems more varied than B1. The "Badass" point system encourages you to tackle tons of challenges to earn additional bonuses if you choose to do so. This is a nice add-on.
+ Enemy AI is very impressive. They dive for cover, dodge, bob and weave, and even dive for cover to avoid your gunfire. Variety of enemy types if also impressive.

Negatives
- Driving mechanics still a bit touchy. Not a big deal since you can do fast-travel once it's unlocked.
- Re-tracing of maps for some missions can get tedious because some of the maps are absolutely huge, and you at times end up fighting the same enemies you have already killed before. Also, fast-travel doesn't always take you where you want to go.
-/+ This is not necessarily a negative, but 95% of the guns you get are poor, but I know this is by design so that when you DO finally find that one awesome gun, you actually appreciate it!

Overall, having played B1 for a number of hours, I thought I knew what to expect from B2, but the improvements all met or exceeded my high expectations. If you are a fan of open-world FPS/RPG games at all, this is one game you cannot miss!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 29, 2012 4:34:13 PM PDT
95% of the guns are poor? What do you mean by this? I was wondering how the game can handle so many different weapons. Was hearing there was sort of a gun generation system. Never heard of a game having so many guns!

What is "fast travel?" Also, would you say this game is better than Resistance 3 or RAGE? I've never played a FPS RPG before and I'm not sure I'm going to like the gameplay.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2012 5:57:01 PM PDT
"Average" is probably more accurate than "poor". You find guns everywhere, in chests or dropped after killing an enemy. Most of the time you get average ratings. From time to time you will get one with special capabilities. That's how it is with Borderlands 1.

"Fast travel" is just a station that teleports you to locations you have already discovered. I definitely think B2 is superior to R3 or Rage. The RPG element allows you to assign skill points and customize your character's abilities. At its core it is still a shooter. Check out gameplay videos on Youtube if you need to get a feel for the gameplay before giving it a try.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2012 11:50:56 AM PDT
I actually did watch some gameplay videos and I found the gameplay to be strangely "mathematical." There were numerous "numbers" or damage points flying out from enemies. I wasn't quite sure this was my thing so I might hold off. I'm going to watch some more to see if they change my mind.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2012 12:01:19 PM PDT
The numbers provide a visual cue on how effective your weapons are against that specific enemy, which is a good indicator to let you know you might need to try a different type of weapon.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2012 10:50:49 AM PDT
Is the "fun" factor just shooting enemies and levelling up your character or is there more to it than that?

What is there to do on a mp besides shoot enemies? Guns can be found anywhere, right?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2012 4:58:46 PM PDT
Types of activities to do in this game:
- Explore new areas/maps. Find different ways to get to your mission area.
- Do side missions/quests which reveal details about the plot. These missions can range from retrieving certain items or hunt certain enemies.

If you liked Rage you will DEFINITELY enjoy this game; it's like Rage with 10x the depth. Just get it!

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 1:57:17 AM PDT
Chevy says:
I notice 2K or Gearbox still hasn't fixed, what I consider to be, a fairly big issue. If you fill your ammo inventory and then get in a vehicle, once you get out, a sizable amount of your ammo has vanished from each category. When I first discovered this I filled my ammo, got in the vehicle then immediately got back out again and the ammo was gone. It took awhile for me to figure out why my ammo kept disappearing when I wasn't shooting. I discovered it's an issue with vehicles.

If you haven't noticed this then check it out. I know it can't just be happening on my PS3. Since there's already over 100 reviews, I likely won't write a review for this game, but I felt this glitch was worth mentioning.

I did my first play through with the gunzerker. Oddly enough, I didn't use the gunzerk skill very often at all. I'm sure the need for this will change on the game plus mode.

It is a terrific game. I liked the first game too. The wider variety of enemies and different locations and climates, along with colors and other enhancements make it awesome.

Good review.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (490 customer reviews)

$19.99 $12.79