Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Built In Wireless - Fantastic Flash!, April 6, 2012
This review is from: Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite Flash (Black) (Electronics)
I purchased 3 of these flashes from Amazon and plan on adding a fourth soon. I also have a pre-order placed for the Canon ST-E3-RT Speedlite Transmitter which I hope to receive sooner rather than later. The radio's on these flashes are awesome and the menu system is also greatly improved. One of my favorite features is the ability to use a master flash or the ST-E3-RT to control each of my flashes. The group mode is great, but can only be used with 2012 or newer Canon Cameras such as the Canon 5D MKIII which I also own. I tested the group mode on my Canon 5D MKII and it definetly does not work with that camera.

With the group mode you can have up to 5 groups total and set the power levels using either ETTL or Manual mode. I use a label maker and mark my flashes as A B C (and future will be D for the fourth flash). I still have one group left if I want to go to five flashes. If you have more than 5 flashes you can assign multiple flashes to the same group and their power settings will be the same. Using the Master you can easily switch the slaves remotely from either ETTL or Manual mode and set their power settings. When you turn on the flashes they come up quickly and link up before you are ready to shoot - mere seconds. I was really impressed with how the radios worked and it's so nice to have just one set of batteries and not have to hook up a bunch of external gear. These are a huge time saver.

One thing I will mention to those who may want to mix these with Studio Flashes. You can fire these from remote triggers just like the older Canon models as they have a PC input port. Even when using the external triggers to fire in conjunction with my studio lights it's still nice to be able to set up the power levels using manual levels and group mode through the master. The one thing that I discovered and is very important to note is that if you change power settings on the master for the slaves they will not receive the changed information unless you first press the TEST button on the master and I'm sure the same will be true for the ST-E3-RT. Firing the master from the synch port or even using a hot shoe adapter does not transmit the new settings. You must press the TEST button first to get the new settings over the the slaves. This is pretty minor and easy enough to do. Keep in mind if using external triggers you will need one on each flash. I could not figure out a way to get them to fire just by triggering the master in radio mode, although I am still experimenting. It would be really nice to only have to put an external trigger on the master but from what I could find you need one on each flash. I still need to read the manuals all the way through and experiment some more so I will try to remember to update my review if I find out something new.

It would be nice to see these work in group mode with older cameras such as the 5D II and 7D and that is probably my only real disappointment with the flashes. I can't see why that can't work at least in manual mode, but it doesn't unless there is a workaround I haven't found yet.

Overall I am really pleased with these flashes and look forward to giving them more of a workout as well as testing them with an external battery pack. For photographers that are on the go and want a powerful system that is more convenient in terms of space, set up time, batteries and reliability, this is the way to go.

EDIT (04/27/2012): After some more time with these flashes I still love them. I have 5 of them now and am still waiting on the wireless controller. I did come up with a much better solution for combining these with studio lights. Not sure why I didn't think of it before as it's simple and works great. I just put my 600EX-RT on top of my camera in the hot shoe so I have full control - no need for third party radios on the 600EX-RT's. I then use the synch port on the camera to fire the studio flashes. A cable runs from the synch port to the trigger port of the transmitter for my studio lights. I now have a mixed radio system with wireless control over all my lights. Awesome!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 3, 2012 3:31:45 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 22, 2012 12:10:18 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2012 11:20:29 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 22, 2012 11:21:18 AM PDT
TJ says:
thanks for the info on this. I have a Canon 7D and sent the question to Canon Support. As you can see, there a quiet a few functions that are not supported on the 7D:

There are a few functions that would not be available on the EOS 7D:

Group flash is not available
Maximum Sync Speed will be one stop slower
High Speed Sync will not be available
You will not be able to fire the modeling light on remote flashes from the camera
You will not be able to use the remote shutter release without the SR-N3 shutter release cable

So for me, maybe it is my Canon 7D, my 580EXII and I might purchase some PocketWizards for now. the 5DMIII is not in my future. I need some glass (Canon 70-200mm f2.8L)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 6:20:29 PM PST
mechie8682 says:
Did the Canon support get back to you on the group flash not being available. That one single thing is just a deal breaker for those of us on older Mk II cameras. I read from Syl Arena's review that the HSS is not really an issue with a Mk II even though Canon official documentation suggests otherwise.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 7:22:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 7:23:31 PM PST
It is not supported as per canon's rep telling me so and me trying it out myself... it basically will allow you to adjust speedlites on manual mode...
These speedlites work from the transmitter ex-rt300 or another speedlite on all later model cameras above the 7D - unless you put them on optical only --
sorry for that news

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 11:09:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 20, 2013 11:09:56 PM PST
Ross says:
Do you know if you can use the ST-E3 with one of these speedlights using the Mark II?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 11:48:24 PM PST
I was informed you will only be able to operate on manual mode (which I first hand tried) but, I had a canon rep informed me I should have been able to do more than manual yet I was not able to.
The speedlites are excellent and so is the st- e3 transmitter.
Check out my youtube videos at "600 ex rt speedlite and one reflector usage" and subscribe if you care and I will make any video with any problem you may be having...
Wish you success.