Industrial Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Shop Now Tikes

1.0 out of 5 stars Profit-Making tool disguised as a game. Dont make my mistake, June 26, 2012
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Diablo III: Collector's Edition (DVD-ROM)
Ok so with over 300 hrs logged in on a monk and DH, and a full month played I can safely and without a second thought, tell anyone who's thinking of buying this game?: DONT.
Diablo 3 is essentially Blizzard's Real Money Auction House (RMAH) with a hack/slash/loot game built around it. Now, you may be telling yourself 'well I dont plan on using it, so no problem' ok that's fine. In fact, the game itself is fine for the 1st 3 levels of difficulty. Normal, Nightmare and Hell version of D3 work basically as intended: you fight, you level up, you loot. Everything is great, you feel powerful when you kill Diablo in Hell and now it's time for endgame: Inferno. 2 problems here.
#1- The first 3 difficulties dont include the ONE factor that all but leave your characters 'broken' until you TOTALLY re-gear them (or quit in the frustration, more on that later), and this is: Resistances. There are many different types in the game, none of them you'll really feel until Inferno, where you WILL be greeted with one-shots. Many of them. Dozens of them.
Now since the new patch that has GREATLY increased repair costs, you'll quickly find you have two options in inferno:
1- Go back to Hell and farm until nauseous (which no one wants to do naturally)for appropriate gear, by aquiring 5 buff stacks for finding loot and then trying to find something in the ridiculously low drop rate of Hell... or
(and how convenient)
#2 go to the RMAH. The RMAH is where all the farmers in the game go to sell their items for outrageously high gold prices or for an equivalent cash value in USD. I'm not a complete idiot so Im not paying real cash for a fake sword or staff or whatever, so the route those who are still around on the server take is to simply do farming runs for cash and hope something drops in the process.
This process can take days to find a decent piece of Inferno quality gear, farming for hours. 3 weeks in, my guys are still stuck in Act 1(inferno).
There are many rumors about Blizz intentionally lowering the drop rate on level 61+ (Inferno level) gear, putting many into a 'pay or quit' scenario as the loot needed to progress simply isnt as available as it was in the 3 easier levels.
There are also rumors of Blizz reps padding the AH with items only they can generate to sweeten the RMAH.

Im glad I waited before writing this because before you hit Inferno, the game is fun. Well, fun enough to make you want a bit more and would have recieved 5s all around, but the frustration you'll face with the lack of resistances going into inferno, the one shots, the ever-looming repair bill over your head, the almost non-existence of upgradable loot at end game - and if Im not getting loot, why the hell am I playing this game- and the blatant RMAH always in your face, the honeymoon with this game ends real fast. A shame, it seems the last of the great AAA title makers has decided to put profit before their consumers once again.
Dont buy.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 29, 2012 2:39:43 PM PDT
Akuma says:
I have a link that proves what you said about Blizzard purposely lowering the drop rates of items to funnel people into using the RMAH.

I don't think it will let me post the link here, but I'll quote it.

"The auction house obviously provides an incredible service to allow for very easy trades between characters, and essentially blows out the wide range of items you could have available to you at any one time. So, IN FACT(I purposely caps-lock this), the AH has to be a factor in how we drop items. On one hand you have a huge benefit because you can buy and sell items very easily, as opposed to having to post up WTS threads in the old USEast trading forums, but on the other end it does impact the item pool economy with the inherent ease at which you can trade items. If the AH existed but wasn't a factor at all into how items dropped/rolled, the economy would be completely tanked within a matter of weeks."

Oh, how I love that last sentence, because Diablo 2 has been out for 10+ years and the economy seems to be doing just fine without an AH...

Not sure if it will be deleted, but here is the link to the screenshot of the post by the GM which has been deleted since..

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 4:04:02 AM PDT
R. Chong says:
I totally agree with you. I was about to post a very similar review like yours this morning out of frustration from the game. I enjoyed playing the game until reaching the inferno level and relaized in order to advance, one needed either ridiculous amts of time to farm like a bot to 'try" to obtain something good, or go tot he auction house that has semi decent items selling at 10 million+ GOLD. which means ur forced to RMAH where you hadda buy the gold. and blizzard takes a cut.
Its too monopolized.. and im sorry i ever wasted my money buying the collector's edition. I really thought I would be playing this game 10 yrs from now. 90% of my friends stop playing it as evidenced from the game list. only 2 remain... cuz they actually reach the top tiered set of players that can farm and sell.

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 5:11:43 AM PDT
D. Lee says:
I encourage you to also write another review for the regular edition to further expose Bli$$ard's greed for more money instead of
making a good game. Excellent review!

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 9:11:44 PM PDT
You spent $60 for 300 hours of entertainment that's pretty good.

Posted on Aug 13, 2012 1:54:21 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 13, 2012 1:54:50 AM PDT
barbear1978 says:
Completely agree with everything written in this review... ashamed I bought the collector's edition.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2012 9:43:15 PM PDT
Gary O. says:
No. He spent 60 bucks and 300 hours to find out the game has minimal entertainment value. I have close to 700 hours and I have not found an upgrade in almost 4 weeks.

I don't even know why I still play, maybe I keep fooling myself into thinking something good will drop. Hell, all I want is a new bow to replace my old one so I can farm a3 quickly and without fear of any combination of affixes. Like I do a1 and a2. a4 isn't even worth it. Not enough elites.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2012 2:41:45 AM PDT
Well actually it was $105 and 2/3 of that time was getting to Inferno. Factor in that Diablo 2 was also $60 and provided months of entertainment without an RMAH and I'd say your $$$/Hr entertainment ratio is quite bad in fact. And you probably never played D2 so you have no reference point, hence your initial comment.

Posted on Oct 8, 2012 8:45:22 AM PDT
$.35 per hour for entertainment is pretty good. That is not even counting future play time. They also don't charge a monthly fee like other games. All in all, a good deal.

300 hours in one month???? It's really pathetic to spend almost half of the available hours in a month playing a single game. Even more playing a game you don't even like. Here's a suggestion, stop playing if you don't like it.

Time to get a life, job, outdoors......

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 10:20:08 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 20, 2012 10:53:43 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 9:55:02 PM PST
Hacker says:
I haven't played D3 for a couple of months. So I can't say if its changed enough for me to be interested in the game or not. What I can say is that the "No Monthly Fee" Isn't exactly a point in Blizzards favor anymore. Several games run with no monthly fee and many of them have given me more entertainment then D3 did while I was playing it. It wasn't a bad game, but I do not feel that it lived up as a sequel as it should have been.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›