3.0 out of 5 stars When it was good it was very very good and when it was bad it was horrid, November 15, 2011
This review is from: "War Brides" (Kindle Edition)
This is one of those 99-cent special Kindle books from new authors. That said, it is well worth the price although it is not a perfect read. Basically it's about five young women and their experiences in war-torn England during WW2.

The strongest part of the book was the setting. I felt I was right there in the small town in the English countryside, living a life of wartime deprivation, patriotism, sacrifice and the tough mindedness of these women that got them through the awfulness of rationing, bombing raids and constant worry.

Then there were characterizations and the relationships between the women. There was the clergyman's daughter Alice who was dumped by her fiance for the American Evangeline with a secret, Tanni, a Jewish woman who escaped from Austria as the Nazis closed in, Elsie, the Cockney-speaking Londoner and Frances a rich girl on a patriotic mission. While these women were all sketched well by the author, they were a bit too formulaic for my taste and they were all a little too "goody-two-shoes" to feel real to me.

I enjoyed the book however, got into the story and the different women as each of them faced her own unique challenges of wartime. The action moved fast and I was drawn into the story.

However, the writer tried to tie up too many loose ends in the last chapter. This just didn't work for me. By the time I finished the book I was thoroughly annoyed.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 21, 2013 1:35:23 PM PDT
Sue Averett says:
I totally agree that the ending was terrible. I am too disgusted to go back to it on my Kindle and try to make any kind of sense out of it. I am debating whether to bother reading her new book, The Sisterhood. I probably will because I want to give Helen another chance. After all, what is a sisterhood all about anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2013 2:20:08 PM PDT
Thanks for writing to me. I am not interested in reading any more of her books though. There are just too many good books out there.

Posted on May 14, 2014 11:38:05 AM PDT
I just finished it and had to check on here to see if anyone else thought the ending was slap-dash as much as I did. Thanks for the sanity check! I felt like telling the author - "hey, I was with you this far, why did you leave me now?"
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

Reviewer

Linda Linguvic
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Location: New York City