3.0 out of 5 stars Cool Watch But...., October 23, 2010
This review is from: Casio Men's PAW2000-1CR "Pathfinder" Digital Watch with Black Band (Watch)
This is my first Pathfinder it looks great and most of the the functions work properly. I gave it three stars for the following reasons:

The band is not very comfortable, for a thin plastic watch I can definitely feel it on. I bought this watch mainly because of the atomic feature. I travel and I wanted a watch that will automatically adjust the time for me. Sadly when I went on a trip to the East Coast not once did the watch synchronized, it kept the Los Angeles time the whole two weeks I was there. I had to use the world time function to get the correct time. Also the light button is too small and I have a hard time pressing it And when I bend my hand a certain way it would press on the compass or barometer button. So when I check the time I have to press mode.

Other than those issues I still think this is an awesome watch.

**It's been a week since daylight savings time and my watch has not synchronized. I read the instuctions and it states that the watch needs to be in an open area to sync. I work in a one story building, my office has a huge window and I am within 5 miles from an airport, so there are no huge buidlings. Do I have to go into an open field to get the atomic time function to work. The 8 atomic clocks at my workplace seem to be working fine.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 7, 2011 9:00:00 AM PST
coffelover says:
The watch will not adjust the time zone for you. Even when it is syncing to the time signal, it has no way of telling what time zone it is in. This needs to be set manually at any rate. With respect to synching at night I found that it works better when I wear the watch while sleeping.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2013 6:46:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 23, 2013 7:21:43 PM PST
Sardo says:
The watch does not automatically change time zones for you, if you change the city setting which is very easy it will be fine. I'm finding the automatic time setting is lame. If you use a Mac check that time clock. Apple has their own atomic clock but does on broadcast over the air, just on line. There is a way to set daylite savings time, but it does not do it automatically. Go ONLINE and get a manual PDF where you can blow it up a read it without going blind.

Sorry coffee lover, did not mean to step on your toes, did not see your post.

Sardo
Sardo

Posted on May 4, 2013 3:30:45 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 4, 2013 3:31:28 PM PDT]

Posted on Jun 23, 2013 11:41:44 AM PDT
Jim Clement says:
You can quite easily replace the band with any aftermarket strap that will fit 22mm lugs. Download the manual in .pdf format for Module 3172 from the Casio Pathfinder website. RTFM. You will be surprised at what you may learn.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2013 12:04:21 PM PDT
Fresno says:
That is a big deal since on most gshocks you cannot change the band. I'm about to order this watch. Love the look. Yeah, you have to tell it what time zone you are in. Then it picks up the atomic time sig. best around midnight and then it tries at 1, 2, 3, 4 am. Radio signals travel best at night. In U.S. the transmitter is at Ft. Collins, Colo.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2013 12:08:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 24, 2013 12:09:24 PM PDT
Fresno says:
To sync my gshocks I set a paper towel roll on end, standing up. Then set the watch on that so the watch is horizontal. Aim the 12 oclock side toward Ft. Collins, Colo in the U.S. Works for me through a wall of my house. I'm in Fresno, Ca.

Posted on Dec 28, 2013 9:42:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2013 9:49:11 PM PST
Jake says:
RE: the atomic sync, if you live in LA you have to set the home city to LA, and it will sync with LA time. If you then take a trip to NY, your watch is still set to LA home time, and will still sync looking for LA time. The atomic sync does not automatically sense where you are at and choose the right signal.

The above is not even needed, as this watch has a world time feature that easily allows you to switch to another time zone while still being able to see what the time is back home. Its a simple calculation that the watch does to add or subtract the right amount of time from your home time. So if you are in NY you just go to the world time feature and set it to NY, and it will show you NY time with your home time also shown below. When you get back home, just exit the world time feature and you are back to looking at your home time only. If you are getting an atomic sync for your home time, world time will also be accurate, because it calculates the world time from your home time. I use that feature all the time. You should read your manual.

Also if you want to get your watch to sync with the atomic clock signal, its best to try it around midnight or later. If you try it during the day you are not going to get a signal. Again, read your manual and you can see how to force a manual sync to test it. The manual will explain how to place the watch near a window. I have 3 casio watches with atomic sync, they all sync just fine. Need to read the manual to see how to do it properly.

Regarding the band that comes with this watch, I totally agree that it is not very comfortable and I also think it looks cheap. You can switch it for any 22MM strap, which is what I did - I put a 22mm stainless steel black PVD coated band on mine and it looks great and is much more comfortable. If you put a 22mm band on this watch, you will not be able to include the plastic "wings" that are attached to the OEM watch band on the back. However I find the watch to be more comfortable to wear without those plastic wings.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›