3.0 out of 5 stars Fun for older kids and adults..., August 14, 2010
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Diary of a Wimpy Kid (Paperback)
As a (more mature) 13 year old, I thought this book was genuinely funny. However, unlike younger kids, I've already established what is right and wrong. Cheating, lying, manipulating, and acting dumb "just to get less work" is all in this book, and when my younger eight year old brother reads this, I get paranoid of what exactly he's picking up. He doesn't seem to want to go to a gifted program at school, thinks less of school, and I think it is because of this book! To older audiences, Greg is a very interesting character (which is the prevelant reason why the series is so popular) but he is one of the most irresponsible fictional characters I have come across in a long time. And since the story is told from HIS viewpoint, it even makes it worse! His mind thinks of the all the previously mentioned things to be perfectly fine. I would absoluetly not recommend this book to...more vulnerble kids.

On the plus side, the novel IS truely funny, with its charming digital drawings and witty main character- who keeps the story lively (ignoring his bad influence) throughout the entire book.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 8, 2011 7:02:16 PM PDT
jamrock43 says:
Thanks! It is good to hear from a young person's point of view!

Posted on May 5, 2011 7:56:41 AM PDT
H. Zheng says:
Thank you. I never liked what I read in it when I was in the store but would still like to check it up since it's popular. I like the pictures and think it will really attract my 5 year old. Now I know I can forget about it at least for a while. Thanks a lot.

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 11:16:18 PM PDT
A well-thought-out and mature review, and I wholeheartedly agree with everything you said. My six year old brought this home from her school library and I was less than thrilled when I read it. I think we'll wait on "Wimpy Kid" books for a few more years.

Posted on May 1, 2012 1:33:02 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 1, 2012 1:33:20 PM PDT]

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 8:21:24 PM PST
Questor says:
I totally agree. My 7YO son has read a few books from the series and thinks they're funny, but he's started behaving more like Greg, most noticeably in what he calls people or how he describes and talks to girls. (Do I really want him calling his infant niece "hot"? I think not.) So while the books may be okay for middle school and up, the subject matter and flaws of the main character make them not so great for more impressionable younger readers.

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 6:04:44 AM PST
kerrymob says:
I totally agree. This book was given to my stepson, so I read it.... because I believe that it's important to know what information your kids are injesting. Yes it's funny, and the pictures are hilarious. But I believe that firstly this book should be for an older age group, maybe 10 and up, particularly because of the references to hot girls, and a boy smoking a pack of cigarettes in school.
In addition, he isn't the best influence for kids with regards to how he treats his "friends", how he views his parents and brothers, and how he generally behaves. It makes for great entertainment, once your kids know that it's just a story about a miserable boy. Greg is not a kid to look up to or mimic.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 7:10:18 PM PST
Big Tex says:
Thank you so much. I was considering this for my 7 yr old son, but wanted to investigate it more because I'd heard mixed things basically for the same reasons you highlight. I don't want any more influences on him that will make him less respectful, polite, and caring. Sounds like this book would do that. Really appreciate you sharing your perspective as a young teen.

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 10:14:40 PM PST
Good objective review here. After reading pages 126-127 I had to explain to my 8 year old child that "the writer must not believe in Santa."

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 4:34:55 AM PST
Excellent and balanced review and exactly what I needed, thank you. We will wait a few more years to read this one.

Posted on Feb 12, 2013 8:12:46 AM PST
Summi says:
You did an awesome job of putting my feelings into words...I am dealing with personality issues that this book has caused for my 7yrs old. Big mistake I made as a parent to let him read this series
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (1,389 customer reviews)
 (1,067)