3.0 out of 5 stars UNIDEN 455 GOOD...but..., July 14, 2012
This review is from: Uniden Guardian Advanced Wireless Surveillance System (G455) (Electronics)
I purchased the 455, which came with two "outdoor" wireless cameras and a small base station with plug-in video monitor/touch screen controller. The base station has ability to connect to your existing internet router by a wire. The monitor acts both as a method for viewing any or all of the cameras linked to the system (you can purchase another two cameras for a maximum of four). While the monitor is docked to the base and connected to the internet, there are no images available on the touch screen... but the assusmption is that when you dock the monitor, you will be accessing the images over the internet. The monitor has batteries, so you can carry it around locally and still view images from the cameras. You can choose to see all four cameras at the same time in quadrants, or touch one of the camera images to just view a full screen image from that individual unit. Can also take advantage of limited "zoom in" feature, which enables you to make part of the image fill the whole screen. Image quality is good. The Infrared night vision feature is good. The two outdoor cameras that come with the kit are moderate sized. I bought a third "indoor" cam which is much less obvious.Accss with the iPhone and iPad internet apps is good, though the software makes you do two rounds of confirmation of what site you want to view and what camera. Does not appear that the iPhone software allows all of the functionality of the touch screen. The system does not have two-way audio, in fact I did not hear any audio one-way over the internet either! I have not been able to access the video using my desktop Mac or my portable Mac, and woner if access over internet is limited to a smartphone or PC.I have not rigorously tested the motion detection features of the system, and I do not think that the system has noise activation of the audio or video recording, though I might be mistaken. The system does not have a provision for active notification when motion is detected. The system is ok, however some software updates to deal with these problems are warrranted.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 27, 2012 8:28:15 AM PDT
Plain Mike says:
According to Uniden Technical Support, ONLY the Microsoft Internet Explorer browser, version 8 or later will work with the Guardian. This information was gained after four days of no response by Uniden to a question sent on their web form and two hours of follow-up on the telephone.

During the process to find that only IE works, Uniden also stated that some 64-bit machines and operating systems will not work with the Guardian.

Although Uniden states they have 24/7 support, their phones and web forms are answered only M-F, 8 am -5 pm CST. Uniden is closed 11:45 to 12:30.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 12:16:36 PM PST
Mm says:
I agree with this review. It does NOT work on a MAC.
An update to the firmware, does however, let you view the monitor while it is connected to the Internet. Also, there is a feature that allows email notifications from the motion sensor although I have not been able to test this yet. I am waiting to hear from customer service about how to upgrade when it will not download on a MAC.
I would also mention the outdoor cameras plug into a standard outlet. I don't have outlets on the side walls of my home, What did you do?...
To me, the MAC issue is almost enough to return it. The portability of the monitor, recording w/o need for computer, and viewing from an iPhone tipped the scale in favor of keeping it, so long as customer service gets back about how I can upgrade for the new features.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 10:32:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2012 10:32:55 AM PST
HenryM says:
I could'nt agree more. I could not get it to work as advertised and got no response from Uniden to my emails. After spending a long time on hold they told me it would not work with Windows 7-64. I finally returned it!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 2:40:26 PM PST
Sunbakd1 says:
Thanks for your post. I have windows 7 professional 64 bit. You saved me frustration of dealing with a system non compatible with my OS. I will not buy. Thank You!!!!!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.4 out of 5 stars (53 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $208.85