1.0 out of 5 stars You Get What You Pay For I Suppose, March 23, 2012
This review is from: Muka Women's Faux Leather Boned Corset
Decent corsets normally run $45 and up to $350. I own approximately 20 of them. Some were custom made, some were off the rack from a variety of places including Fredrick's and some overseas sellers through eBay. I was delighted to find this seemingly beautiful corset for such a low price. A girl can never have too many, you know!

The corset is cut true to size, my complaint is with the overall design and quality of the material. The eye and loop hooks refuse to stay closed, (once you get the steel "buttons" in their proper eyes, (they are difficult to manage as the hole for the eye is not very big), they keep popping open, even though I ordered the correct size and should have had no such problem. After I went round and round with the closures, I stood up to see the item on and looked in the mirror. Let me tell you, it's a far cry from what is described on the Amazon site. The "faux leather" is a flimsy coating of vinyl over cheap cloth. It is very thin, and doesn't feel as though it would hold up for very long, definitely not through the machine the washing the manufacturer recommends on the tag.

As for the pattern cut or design, rather than pushing the breasts up and out like most corsets, this corset actually flattens them down and separates them, making them appear much smaller than they are. As I stated, I have quite a few corsets already, and not a single one of the others does this. In fact, until now, I was unaware a corset actually could make your breasts look small and unimpressive. The whole point of a corset is to shove your female assets together, lift them up, and put them on center stage. I have cotton tank tops that do a far better job of that than this cheap thing. I even went so far as to put extra padding in the small cups (the silicone push up pads that are sold in all lingerie departments now, at places such as Target and Walmart. Even with the additional increase in cup size, this corset refused to do anything other than lie flat across my chest, making my 42DDs look like 38Bs at best. No exaggeration!

Because I bought it from Amazon, I knew I would be able to return it worry- and hassle-free, right? I mean I pay a little more for things on Amazon at times in order to get the flexible shipping/return policies and the Prime eligible items that can really save you in shipping costs. But no, after writing to the seller and asking to return this item, I was informed that "due to hygiene reasons" I could not return or exchange this item. I may as well bought it from a guy on Craigslist in an alley way. I have returned bras before, so I am unsure as to what hygiene issues the seller is referring to. To be honest, I am assuming this is their way of not having to stand behind what they sell.

As this is an unflattering corset at best, I will probably hang onto it and give it to a flat-chested friend at some point who is not concerned with the advantage a well-designed corset can bestow upon the female form. If you are considering purchasing this item, I cannot recommend strongly enough that you look elsewhere. This won't do you any favors. Fredrick's of Hollywood corsets cost twice the price, but they will enhance your figure, not detract from it. There are also some really great eBay sellers out of Hong Kong who sell similar items at comparative prices who carry merchandise that will make you look like an hourglass diva, not the last chick to wander out of the bar at the 2AM sidewalk sale. Save your money and avoid this poorly-designed item.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 2, 2012 5:53:59 AM PDT
regards to your not being able to return the item- it's clearly posted in the listing:

(** Please note that this item is not returnable or exchangeable. If you have any question about the size, please contact us.)

from your own words it seems you're a corset diva/specialist- you own plenty, ranging from tens of dollars to hundreds of dollars. this was less than $30. there were plenty of reviews that kinda told us this was more corset-lite than it is true corset. and like you wrote, 'you get what you pay for'_ so you knew you weren't getting frederick's of hollywood or some vintage quality piece.....so you were forewarned by the dozens of other reviewers on the quality of the product_ the seller posted it was non-returnable_
-you could have saved yourself the disappointment and frustration by reading the reviews and the listing more carefully-

Posted on Jul 15, 2012 9:52:41 PM PDT
It very much seems you know a lot about corsets and where to get them. I'm on a tight budget but i really want to find something worth my while. I am very small, 32 small b size 0 so its hard to find a corset that can push up whatever I have. What place would have something to help me?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2012 12:00:15 PM PDT
Gretchen says:
Try this place. Their produts are true tightlacing corsets with steel busks. And they have excellent customer service. I had to return a corset that I had worn for a week, and they were very good about it.

Posted on Oct 21, 2012 5:34:39 PM PDT
Thank you for your feedback... I just changed my mind on this due to your review. You described exactly what I thought.. cheap material. Thank You!!

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 1:16:24 PM PDT
StrongWillow says:
You think it is safe to assume all the products of this brand are crap then? Cos they look so pretty though... I found several things of this same brand that look super cute; but after reading your review, it makes me think that the pictures are very deceiving... :(
What store do you recommend for good corsets that would hold their own but wont break the bank? (32DD or 34DDD or 32G? medium waist)? thanks

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 6:21:07 AM PST
for those asking about other sites to look for corsets look up ms marthas corsets. They are not cheap but they are quality, also she has a section on her site where she marks down the prices considerably if it was a design she decided not to sell anymore or if it has a small flaw etc, also for those that dont mind talking to those in the fetish community try looking into local corset designers in your area, they often go around ren fairs, fetish events and/or kink events and custom make them to your size

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 4:45:10 PM PST
Saffron says:
The product description says that it comes with a panty, which would likely be the "hygiene issue" causing the lack of returnability. That being said, it's plastic boning, which I wouldn't buy in the first place, as my body requires solid steel.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 2:12:56 PM PST
K. McCormick says:
I'm not the original poster but I can tell you I purchased a different corset from ths same brand and had many problems as well. Some of the same; cheap fabric, no returns, and some different; it was an underbust with a halter neckline in an XL and didn't have enough room for barely a B-cup to stick through, let alone my much more buxom figure. Apparently this company doesn't understand the female figure and exactly how it is shaped. I'd advise against buying anything from this brand.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (165 customer reviews)

$85.70 $14.99