Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eric Clapton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation SnS

5.0 out of 5 stars OK, but G-Keys limited, and Ventrilo PTT Now (11/11) Works, September 16, 2010
This review is from: Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930 with 7.1 Surround Sound (Personal Computers)
4/1/15 Update:
Still using the headset, and it still works fine. It is used 12-15 hours per week, every week, and has been since I bought it. I've replaced the ear cushions (frayed, worn out) and the headstrap cushion cover is frayed . . . but everything else is A-OK. 4 years of continuous use and still going strong.

7/5/12 Update: I've used this headset now for nearly two years, same usage pattern, and it still feels and functions as new. Normally I'd have concerns about the life of built-in rechargeable batteries, but this headset just plain continues to work. Even if/when the battery ultimately fails, it can still be used as a corded headset. This is a good one :)

11/26/11 Update: Ventrilo PTT key now works very nicely. You can set up a standard keyboard key to PTT from the keyboard, and a G-Key to PTT from the headset when you are AFK. I have used the headset for more than 1 year now, a minimum of 3x3hr sessions per week on Ventrilo and a few hours a week on Skype. The headset has performed perfectly. Upgraded the rating to 5-stars which applies if you are purchasing these to game and use Ventrilo.

[original review follows, edited to show PTT now works.]

First off, the G930 is physically a nice headset. Adjustable, comfortable, not too heavy compared to other full-sized, circumaural headphones. I'll leave full judgement on the quality of sound to others, since these older ears are no longer qualified to critique. But I *can* say you get clear, soft or loud sound from them :)

Ventrilo 3.0.5 Push to Talk (PTT)
=================================
The only reason I'm writing a "Day 1" review (which is normally not worth much lol) is to note a key advertised feature that does not work. The reason I bought these headphones vs several others was the three G-Keys, and their ability to send commands to my PC while I am physically away from the keyboard. Specifically, the advertisement that Ventrilo "Push to Talk" was supported. It is not. [as of 3rd quarter 2011, this feature works very well].

The G-Keys work with a drop-down, limited LIST of applications, ie., Windows Media Player, iTunes, Winamp, PowerDVD, WinDVD, and the G930 software itself. Ventrilo 3.0.5 (app & version number) is also listed, and a listed action for this app is "Push to Talk". I checked all those things before I bought, but after an otherwise pleasant hour with Logitech support in the Philippines, the function does not work, it is a known issue, and "they will get back to me when there's further information". [It's meaningful to note that Logitech support *did* get back to me several months later to notify me that the PTT feature now worked.]

Logitech G-Keys - What is Expected from a Brandmark
===================================================
The other thing you should know is this: When Logitech mentions "G-Keys", that word invokes the functionality of EVERY other Logitech product that has "G-Keys". PC gamers know the term. G-Keys can be programmed to send any key, key combination, or string with one key-press as if it were typed, very quickly, via the keyboard. The "G"930's G-Keys do NOT work that way. Each of the few listed apps has only a short list of pre-determined command choices. This important difference is obscured, no doubt intentionally, in Logitech's limited literature.

Other Observations
==================
Range: 40' seems a fair estimate of range vs the advertised range of other products. So I get a little more range than bluetooth, and arguably half what I get from, say, Sennheiser RF Headphones (100' "open air" advertised). At the edge of signal loss, the headset becomes slightly directional, ie, you can at times re-acquire or lose the signal. This is pretty much standard in my experience.

Environment: My G930 needs to operate in a "radio-noisy" and highly metallic environment (lots of gear, transmitters, metal in/on exterior walls), and it performs as well as any RF devices I have used here.

Ergonomics: Pretty good, with some "buts". All the keys placed on one ear piece is a good decision, but crowding can lead to indvertant button presses when picking up and donning the headset. Choosing the left ear piece was a good choice, but left-handed mousers will have some adjustments. OTOH, the G-Keys don't have much - er, any - practical gaming function, so this isn't an issue.

The "Power On" key implementation is unusual, and very poorly defined. The best I can tell, to turn the device off, hold the button in for 3 seconds (not 5), and if it changes to blinking green when you release it, you have successfully shut it off. If it doesn't, hold the key a little longer next time lol.

I'll be back with updates when I have used the device long enough to know it. Yes, I'm keeping it, yes I like Logitech products, and I'm hopeful eventually the G-Keys will eventually be real G-Keys. (As of 11/11 they are not.)

10/20/10 Update:
================
I originally posted these two as workarounds for PTT. While they are no longer required, they may still prove useful:
1) Very Cumbersome: When going AFK, switch Ventrilo to "open microphone", and rotate the headset microphone up to mute, down to talk.
2) Highly workable: G930 software supports "plug-ins". Fortunately, a User has created one that works not only with Ventrilo (I tested it), but should work with other voicechats. The sole drawback is you push the Gkey once to "talk", and once to "stop talking". The download, description, and cause of this drawback is in this Logitech forum thread (Page 2 at this writing).

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 9 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 20, 2010 8:12:08 AM PDT
Bassed upon your experience, I wouldn't have been so kind with the stars.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2010 2:33:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 20, 2010 2:47:27 PM PDT
Twoboxer says:
Yeah, I understand. I was torn between 1 (or zero lol) and 3 stars. But the rest of the headset works very, very nicely as a wireless gaming PC headset. Maybe as good as it gets, but hard to say that without having tested the others. Logitech is like that - when their product is right, its very, very good. So I gave the headset 3 stars to be fair.

I've updated my review now - there are two workarounds to the PTT problem. The one provided by a user on the Logitech Forums not only mostly solves the Ventrilo PTT issue, but also provides PTT for other voicechat software. Hopefully it clears Amazon's review process with the link intact.

Shameful that Logitech didn't do this VERY quickly.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2010 7:27:09 AM PST
Kenneth Wood says:
Happen to have a link to that PTT fix or a brief description? Thanks for your review.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2010 6:20:55 PM PST
Twoboxer says:
I posted the link, but Amazon staff deleted it. So you need to use a famous search engine and enter the company name and forum. Use that link to get to the forum and find the section dealing with Headphones Headsets Micropohones. There are posts with titels like Old G-Key Keyboard Keystrokes Plugin.

Good luck.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2010 12:26:45 PM PST
Brian M says:
Thank you for the review and updates. Logitech's lack of proper help/support or even any aim at trying to resolve this is a big mistake on their part; I'd venture a guess and say the Ventrillo user base is quite large. I would only pick a headset such as this for my gaming convenience needs (the G buttons), otherwise I'd buy a better sounding general use headphone from Audio-Technica or Sennhesier at half the price. Logitech seem to be in the business of pushing newer products more than anything these days.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2010 1:50:59 AM PST
Twoboxer says:
Glad it helped. As of two days ago I actually got a telephone call from Logitech Support. They claim the problem has been fixed with new versions of both their software, and a new Ventrilo release. Unfortunately I cannot verify that it works because the new Ventrilo client is NOT available for Win7-64 bit :(

Stay tuned. I think they will eventually get this right.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2011 9:47:17 AM PST
Thanks for doing a great job keeping your update, up to date. I really want a pair of these, your review was most helpful.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2011 10:48:09 AM PST
Twoboxer says:
Thanks! Here's the latest I have: New Logitech drivers plus Ventrilo client newly available now supports PTT . . . unfortunately its not fully useful. The new software combines to allow three commands (called "Ventrilo Command 1", 2, and 3) to be sent from the headset to Ventrilo. In Ventrilo, you then select one of these as your PTT "key".

Sounds great, but unfortunately these commands don't correspond to any keyboard key that I can find. This prevents you from using your usual key while at the keyboard (a programmed mouse button for me), and the headset GKey when away. I don't know how anyone else plays, but while in-game I can't afford to put my left hand to my left ear to talk.

So you can now use the PTT feature from your headset, but if you do you must always use your headset key to talk. If anything changes I'll let you know.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2011 1:16:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 11, 2011 3:47:19 PM PST
Hmm, interesting. You may try looking to see if you can "capture" the input from the headset key and set it up with an AutoHotkey combo thing to do that when you press a keyboard key. (or have your keyboard key bound to Vent and have it work the other way around, when the headset G key is hit it makes the keyboard key press using AHK).

Just a thought. Thinking of getting this one myself, so if I do and I venture into that I'll be sure to post whatever I come up with :-)

EDIT: Well, I see the software supports it now :)

Posted on Mar 21, 2011 1:23:41 PM PDT
Hello all,
I have a question about gaming headsets to be used with the latest PS3 console.
I am racing on GT5 with both USB ports occupied by GT27 race wheels, two of them being used at once for racing with friends.
How can I use headsets when my USB ports are being used?
Thanks very much for any help!
Chas