5.0 out of 5 stars World Class Education at your fingertip, June 9, 2010
This review is from: The Well-Trained Mind: A Guide to Classical Education at Home (Third Edition) (Hardcover)
I am a young parent based in Lagos, Nigeria. While I have been bothered with the quality of education in my own immediate enviroment, I have always been thinking about how my kids education will be world class and alas I found TWMT on Amazon, bought and read it and eversince then I have been consulting it and I've even recommended it to friends.
TWMT teaches you how to educate your child from age zero upto adulthood and the good thing is that the methodology is borderless and alot of the recommended literature readings in the book are readily available,even in Lagos for as low as $1.
For me and my family this book as given us key information about education:
1. Rote learning is better and easier done between ages 0 to 10; 2.Short 15-45 minutes consistent classes on daily/weekly basis of any subject is enough to master a subject over a period of 12 years; 3. It intorduced the concept of developing a reader in a child by recommending a jewel of a book "The Read Aloud Handbook" by Jim Trelease; 4. The Authors' keep a very active online forum based on TWMT [...];5. The Authors' are very responsive to your challenges even for someone like me in Lagos, Nigeria,they still responded to my family's educational challenge by profering a solution that actually worked after i mailed them on an observation.
Lastly, for those that think the system is rigid, please you don't need to follow the methodology to detail, kindly adapt to your family's challenges. And if you think it's too Language/History focused then you can get curriculum books by "Bernard Nebel" as they are science focused to use along with this "Lost but found Treasure of a book".
Good enough this book is Eurocentric but then you can replace it with titles that are from your own geographical location and faith inclination i.e. I have a list of classic Islamic books to use with my kids based on the prestine Islam for religious studies and I also keep a list of African Writers' Series by Heinemann to use for my kids at the appropriate time along with some of the other classic books recommended in TWMT. May be your bilingua interest isn't Greek, Latin... like in my case then make do with your interest(s) i.e. Arabic and Yoruba Languages in my family's case.
CAVEAT: TWTM will not make your kids people of letters alone, as Bob, Jessie's first child is a software architect, Susan is a Prof. of Literature & Writing and the 3rd child is a Police officer.
So if you want a qualitative and quantitative education for your kids then get this "Treasure of a book".

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 13, 2010 1:48:10 AM PST
M Ogunseinde says:
Parklane,

Its great to know that other Nigerians really appretiate this book!!! I felt i was alone in my search for a qualitative and quantitative education for my child in Lagos and this book truly helped me on how i could do this without sending my baby abroad so early. I have a question, so how do your choose the best primary schools for your children to supplement the classical education you are adapting at home? How did the authors help your observation of the education system and standards in Nigeria? Sorry to intrude!

Moyo

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2010 7:11:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2010 7:27:09 AM PST
eka san, she alafia ni eewa, awon ara nko, she daadaani?
as regards ur 1st question, my kids are all below age 5 and as such the challenge of which primary school to attend is not a real challenge for now but if I may suggest you can practically home school your kid or just make do with an after-school arrangement and do away with the after school lessons usually organised by schools. Also keep in my mind that you can make a lot of good use of your weekends and the regular "holidays" in Naija. Depending on which part of lagos you stay just look for an okay school that you can share ideas with and consolidate on their strong areas and work more on their weaknesses with your kid or better still try to form an Home/after school community with some family friends or so to start with .As regards your 2nd question, if it is a general one, then I will say that studying "TWTM" as actually opened my mind to the gross deficiencies in our educational system in Nigeria. If i may highlight: 1. Too many logical reasoning works for kids that are below age 10 i.e. verbal and quantitative reasonings, readers focused on comprehension than retention and memorisation at the grammar stage; 2. a thorough grasp of the english grammar is not encouraged in the system;3. the system's negligence of vocational skills acquisition by pupils; 4. The required WAEC english literature reading list is not more that at most a term's reading list in the life of a classical education pupil; 5. To give qualitative and quantitative education especially at the early stage is not as expensive as the system tend to make it look like in Nigeria rather it needs dedicated adults and disciplined pupils and above all God' grace. You can contact me for further clarifications. Thanks for the mail.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2010 9:47:00 PM PST
Arshia Shah says:
As Salam Alaikum,
Can you please tell me which Islamic books you use?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2010 5:51:38 AM PST
Walaikum salaam warahmatullahi wabarakatuh,
It depends on the level your kids are. But for
ease you can use any of Darussalam's Islamic Studies
Guide (Book 1-9) depending on your kids level.
Also, for general reading of Islamic story books
I use books by goodwordbooks and darussalam.
For children below age 10 you'll get a lot of good
Islamic story books from Goodwordbooks. And for
kids above age 10, books by Darussalam publishers
will do you alot of good particularly in areas like:
Aqeedah, seerah, hadith and Qur'an.
If you do need more specific information as regards
book titles you can let me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2011 3:42:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 7, 2011 3:47:18 PM PST
M Ogunseinde says:
Hello again, apologises for the slow reply lots happening. Thank you for your reply. Please can we take this offline? Kindly email me on wtnigerianm@gmail.com when u get the chance. I would like to ask more questions!
Kind regards

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2013 11:16:03 AM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2013 4:40:03 AM PST
Which Millions of dollars?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›