2.0 out of 5 stars Does the job for the price, but not very well., May 6, 2011
This review is from: Black & Decker DCM18S Brew 'n Go Personal Coffeemaker with Travel Mug (Kitchen)
This almost deserves 3 stars, but I just can't quite bring myself to that level. I can't find anything else on the market that is a one cup brewer for a reasonable price that takes loose coffee (less expensive), so this is the best I can find. Maybe I need to look harder. It does the job, for the most part, but here is why it bothers me.

1) The unit I got was defective and needed to be sent back. After a couple uses, it stopped pumping all the water out of the reservoir. The new one I received works ok so far for the most part. We can chalk that up to unlucky and let it slide, sort of.

2) The built in filter still allows a small amount of coffee sediment to seep into your coffee. That's kind of a pain, but not the end of the world. It's not that terrible.

3) My biggest complaint is the cup. It seems stylish at first, but it just isn't designed that well. The other day, I was driving and drinking coffee. I ended up pouring a bunch of it on my shirt twice. The lip of the cup is too thick. The black interior color makes it hard to tell where the level of your coffee is. Somehow or other, before you know it, it's easy to end up pouring coffee all over yourself. The lip design doesn't divert the coffee flow into your mouth that well. It's sort of like being a baby again who needs a bib. This is a big problem with a travel mug that you might use in your car. Usually, it's fine, but sometimes it's not. I'm not sure why that is.

I've also spilled coffee while walking to work for various reasons, sometimes spattering on my clothes a tiny bit. The no-spill design can be improved upon.

The interior plastic smelled funny when received and even after washing, now smells a whole lot like coffee. That doesn't say very much about the interior of the cup being non-pourous. It seems to absorb odors, which probably means it seeps plastic chemicals into the hot drink. So, I'm not thrilled about that.

My housemate has a Starbucks coffee mug that has a screw-one lid with a clear/white interior and a design that makes it much harder to spill when walking or drinking. Unfortunately, it's too tall to fit into this unit for brewing.

These are my issues with this unit, and I can't find any one-cup brewer models that are better anywhere near this price level, even though it seems someone should be able to manufacture something that's better.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]