5.0 out of 5 stars Top of the Line Point and Shoot Camera, June 15, 2013
This review is from: Olympus SP-820UZ iHS Digital Camera (Black) (Old Model) (Electronics)
This is my seventh Olympus camera. While it took the supplier an inordinate amount of time to ship it, the camera itself is very nice. I've been playing with the settings to figure out what works best for me. So far so good. As a professional photographer with a few photos published on the New York Times Best Seller list, cameras are not a stranger to me. I back pedaled from an Olympus DSLR camera which broke to this one. I'm convinced the camera is a tool and I'm the master of the tool. While I can change a majority of settings to do just about as much as my DSLR, I'm not finding any misgivings for purchasing this camera. I've had my eye on it for several months and have done much research on it.

The only item I don't like is where they have the chip located. It's next to the battery compartment and you have to open the battery compartment door to get to it. If you're not careful when opening that door, I am concerned the door could be broken off by accident. Not only that, the batteries could fall out.

Another issue that I've found a bit annoying is the chance the camera turns on video/movie mode if you press the red button (on the back of the unit) by mistake. I turned it on multiple times. Fortunately, when I went to snap a photo, the camera did capture the photo at full resolution which I had set it to do. It stopped the video mode so as to take the picture. This is a good thing. However, it resumed the video recording once the picture was processed. If you don't see it recording, there is a chance you could fill up the chip and then you have to contend with deleting what you filmed by accident. Both time consuming situations as well as power drain on the batteries.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 6, 2014 3:37:20 PM PST
Ted says:
Is this olympus camera good for low light portraits and/or close ups?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2014 4:36:14 PM PST
Rob Worth says:
no since it doesn't have a bulb setting. However, you do have the ability to set the f-setting, shutter, and lens openings for whatever it is you are shooting. It also has preset settings for night photography. Sometimes it works well. Good photography depends on the amount of light being reflected from the object. In some situations, people think that setting the ISO to a very high setting will accomplish what they want. It does but then a whole lot of noise is generated into the picture - like minute particles of dust in the air are picked up and embedded into the image. It's much better to use the shutter speeds and lens opening settings (which you can do with this camera) than using the high ISO settings it has available.

Extreme low light situations, however, require a bulb setting whereby you control the amount of time the shutter is open. This camera does not have this capability. Otherwise, all other situations, explained above, are part of the uniqueness of this camera, which is why I really like it. It also has a built in flash which functions quite nicely.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2014 4:38:53 PM PST
Rob Worth says:
Regarding close ups. Yes, very much so. It is so much better than my DSLR from Olympus is able to do. It has two macro settings. You can get as close as one inch. Recommend a tripod or monopod for doing this kind of photography. While it has the ability to compensate for vertical and horizontal shake, the pods really come in handy for keeping the camera still for macro closeups.

Posted on Dec 6, 2014 4:49:06 PM PST
Rob Worth says:
It's been nearly 18 months since my last review. I've responded to a couple of questions which possible buyers have asked about and those should be on here somewhere.

Regarding the issue with the record button. Still having issues but it's because of the way I'm holding the camera. An easy mistake. At first I thought they should move it or fix it so when one grips the camera, the thumb doesn't come into contact with the red button. However, I like the button where it is because I can get to it quickly when I want to begin recording.

I've taken nearly 10,000 photos and hundreds of videos with the camera. Everything you can imagine. It's one fine camera. I still use my DSLR because it can take interesting photos at long range as well. However, I wish we could post some photos here for you to review to see just how good this camera can be.

The battery door is still intact. I've learned to open it carefully and shut it correctly.

Oh, some of my videos have been an hour in length. I've been using Sanyo's rechargeable batteries and a 16 gb SD chip. I can get about 4 30-min videos and 300 photos, at full resolution, with flash, and review before having to replace the batteries.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (117 customer reviews)

$299.00 $187.95