Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

3.0 out of 5 stars Works as good as standing on the roof, October 4, 2010
This review is from: zBoost ZB545 SOHO Dual Band Cell Phone Signal Booster for Home and Office, up to 2,500 sq. ft. (Wireless Phone Accessory)
Seriously, go up on your roof or wherever you'll mount the antenna before you buy this product. If you can't reliably make calls from there, then this product is not going to help you. On my roof, I get between 1-2 bars of service, and it varies from minute to minute. Now, that's exactly what I get inside the house with this product. This product cannot, and does not claim to, improve or amplify service - it just brings whatever signal already exists into the house. It does a good job of doing that, except that the advertised 3000 sq. ft. range is way overstated. I get service in my living room (where the device is) and a little bit in the adjoining kitchen. In linear feet, don't plan on making calls from more than about 20 feet away, and even less if you have to go around a corner.

Bottom line, I can now make and sometimes receive calls from in my house, which I could not do before. Because I don't have a land line, cellular service is very important to me. However, for what this product accomplishes, the price is too high, and if I didn't absolutely have to have cellular service in the house right now, I would probably return it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 7, 2010 3:53:36 PM PDT
Howard says:
Spot on with every single thought/statement you made.

I received ours yesterday. Within moments I had my ladder out and was sitting on the top of our roof searching for the best location. I mounted the antenna on the end of a 10 foot PVC pipe, ran better RG59 cable inside (wasn't too keen on the thin stuff they included), hooked it all up and had the green light. I pulled out my cell phone and I was beyond excited - I had bars indoors which I've never had before. However, my excitement quickly vanished as I walked maybe 10 or 15 feet from the base and the signal was entirely gone. I didn't even have to go around a corner - I was in line of sight. Very disappointing. I moved the base to other locations in the house, and no matter where got the same result.

If you live in a small studio this is probably a wonderful product, as it does bring the signal in. However, again, as you rightly point out, for the premium price of this, I would have expected better performance. I see that they do offer additional antennas to blast the signal stronger indoors, but I'm not coughing up and gambling on another $100 to $200 possibly resolving it after I've already laid down $300.

As much as I hate to stay with the landline, until our cellphone provider provides femtocells, we're going to have to stick with what we've got.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2011 8:17:48 AM PDT
This is very useful for places with thick wall penetration. Sprint's 800mHz isn't strong enough to penetrate my basement compared to Verizon's higher frequency so this would be perfect for me as I get full Sprint bars outside of my apartment.

Posted on Jun 13, 2011 8:13:52 AM PDT
I have had exactly the same or worse results. I have tried it in a window, in my attic, on my chimney and on a pvc pole 10 feet above my roof along with changing out the cable for a heavier shielded cable. If I had to do over I wouldn't buy. Unfortunately I couldn't mount it on my roof in the winter and had to wait til spring to try. I bought in Dec. and had to long to return. I have it mounted on the second floor of my house and it doesn't amplify the signal more than 20 feet away from unit. Don't recommend.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2011 12:36:40 PM PDT
skinner says:
I have not read any good reviews regarding the cell phone signal booster, but I wonder if any of the reviewers are on a Sprint/Nextel network and/or a 4G. Practically none of the boosters will work with these.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2011 7:08:52 AM PDT
The info with the booster states specifically that this unit does NOT work with the Sprint/Nextel system. It's also in all of their advertising.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2011 4:27:33 PM PDT
If you read the specs again you will see it is not compatible with Nextel. Doesn't mention Sprint. Nextel isn't compatible with Sprint phones.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2011 4:30:29 PM PDT

Posted on Jul 28, 2011 1:46:01 PM PDT
Bailey says:
Exactly right. I got 1.5 bars outside one window which increased to 2.0 bars next to the booster but diminished back to 1-1.5 bars 15 feet away. Not worth the 199.00 price by a long shot.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2011 9:20:32 PM PDT
Dan says:
The most common solution when you have a weak signal on the roof is to use a directional antenna. The directional has two benefits; 1) It reduces the noise and 2) increases the signal. Between the two you may find the signal doubling or trippling when pointed at the cell tower.

Posted on Sep 21, 2011 7:24:57 PM PDT
I have verizon wireless and I recently moved into a very rural area. We have not had a land line for several years now so I was really hoping we would have signal at our new place. To my dismay we have no service in or out of our house. When I take my phone up on the roof I have no bars but I thought I would give the zboost a try. It worked... if not great at least good enough for me. I use to have no signal in or out of the house now I usually have one bar and sometimes two. While this is not ideal it is a definite improvement from what I started with. Because the zboost did help us to get a signal I have just ordered a directional antenna, hopefully this will improve our signal quality even more. While I realize none of this stuff is inexpensive the one time up front cost is definitely cheaper than paying $35/month, year round for a land line. Over all I am very happy with the result I have gotten with the zboost.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›