Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Cecile McLorin Salvant $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Now Deal of the Day

4.0 out of 5 stars A different review, my 2 cents, January 8, 2011
This review is from: Toshiba SD-V296 Tunerless DVD VCR Combo Player (Discontinued) (Electronics)
My review is a lot different from most of the people here.

I saw the reviews others wrote, which were very negative, and one or two that felt it was a good solid basic machine.

I have used toshiba in my profession and it is generally a solid, quality brand. Not schnazzy and spiffy, but solid. A few quirks, but it gets the job done.

What I have done/intend to do with this machine:

1--Replace my old vcr which my son destroyed
2--Play old VHS tapes that have been given to us by friends/family, mainly children's videos
3--Play DVD's (for the children and for us--playing them on my laptop it's too quiet).

On these three points, honestly, I couldn't have asked for a better deal. the price was under $50 when I purchased it last week, and it's brand spanking new, not a refurb, and everything works good. The sound quality for the VHS side is not extra quiet for my tv. In fact, I had to turn it down some. DVD worked great too.

What I have NOT tried to do/don't intend to do:

1--record old vhs's to DVD
2--Hook this puppy into a state of the art audio/visual home theater
3--set the timer for recording programs automatically.

In these more advanced digital age things, probably this is not the best tool. All I wanted was something that could play both vhs and dvd's mainly to entertain our kids and sometimes for me and my wife. Our TV is not enthroned in honor in our house, it is just a tool. Our life doesn't focus around TV programming, so all we really needed was something to play VHS and DVD when we need or want.

Now it's possible if you have a nice nice system, you've already spent hundreds of $$$ on HD stuff, then maybe you need something that is more compatible. Check carefully on brands and make sure they have the exact connections you need, or you can end up spending a lot of money.

Also, if you have a TV that only goes through Co-ax, you'll need a special box to convert the RCA to Co-ax, and the manual says you might find reduced quality if you do.

So if you just need a basic solid piece of equipment to play your vids, I think you can't beat this one. The price has raised since I bought it, but it's still the most affordable one as of today, and I'm glad I got one for well under $100.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 17, 2011 8:45:52 PM PDT
R. Donahue says:

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 8:57:13 AM PST
Great review. It told me everything I needed to know.

Posted on Feb 3, 2012 4:53:26 AM PST
Arnie L. says:
Great Review; I only need to convert some VHS tapes to DVD, then I would give you the equipment. Would you rent me yours for 1 hr ? Thanks for the review.

Posted on Oct 18, 2012 2:30:54 AM PDT
Have you tried to Convert VHS to DVD yet? Please update if you have, you seem very insightful, so I am eager to hear about the transfer.

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 2:39:29 PM PST
Kris Miville says:
Thank you so much for the great detail! I am a mother of a 10 month old and I have many vhs tapes that I once watched when I was a child so me and my mother are trying to find a non-expensive combo machine that will get the job done and work when it needs to work with out all the other fancy things. Again you should get paid for selling their product because you just sold this product to me and my mother. I am glad someone still agrees with the simple technology products out there.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 6:30:43 PM PST
I have not tried, sorry.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 6:32:41 PM PST
Thanks for your kind words~! It's still handy for us, though the DVD player kind of makes a vibrating/engine sound now. But after two years, I can't complain. It's hardly noticeable too.

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 6:03:45 PM PST
We purchase this in July of 2011. We could never hook it up. We have a new lg tv and cable box. We were told to purchase the special box to convert the Rca to the Co-ax - we did this and was still not able to get this to work. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 10:20:16 PM PST
3rdGen says:
Why would we need to get an RCA to co-ax converter. Are we saying that this DVD/VCR unit does not have a co-ax connection on the back? That is hard to believe. Can someone clarify this, please?

Posted on May 31, 2013 8:44:34 PM PDT
Does the DVD player remember where you last were once the disc comes out? And does it show the time that has passed on a disc (hours, minutes, and seconds)?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›