1.0 out of 5 stars Another bad book in Jury series, April 24, 2010
This review is from: The Black Cat: A Richard Jury Mystery (Richard Jury Mysteries) (Hardcover)
I stopped buying Martha Grimes Jury series a few books ago and I'm very glad I got this one at the library.
What happened to these books? I've read the series from the beginning and used to look forward to each new book, but no more.
I agree with other reviewers that the Harry Johnson character should be put to rest. His conversations with Jury are boring and pointless and I don't understand the author's insistence in keeping the character around, especially when the cast of regular characters, especially Melrose Plant, are so much more entertaining.
One thing I noticed in this book was the lack of police procedure, which seems almost laughable. Since the murder victims depended on their mobiles for contact with their respecitive services, why was no mobile ever found or even looked for? I would think that would be the first thing the police would look for in order to find the phone numbers of their contacts and therefore point them in the right direction. Apparently, Ms. Grimes is too caught up in the boring us with Harry to actually put some thought into the storyline.
Unfortunately, I doubt that there will ever be a return to the quality of the first books.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 18, 2010 7:08:34 AM PST
Portianay says:
Excellent review; could not agree more. SO sadly disappointed that Grimes has deteriorated over the last five or six books! :-(

Posted on Dec 4, 2010 7:46:27 PM PST
martísima says:
I also agree. What a shame!!!

Posted on Feb 8, 2011 9:57:08 AM PST
Ricky N. says:
Thanks for the information. I think I'll pass on this one. I have found that the quality of her books has declined in the last few years and I am about ready to give up. No police procedure by an investigator? Now that is not good.

Posted on Mar 4, 2011 12:57:42 PM PST
Peggy Stone says:
I agree with your review. I haven't read many Richard Jury books, and after this one, I would go out of my way never to read another. There were so many things wrong with it, "inside" references to cases and characters outside the book, a character in a coma that is supposed to be important to Jury - yet that he forgets about entirely most of the time, the beyond-annoying upstairs neighbor who does nothing but flounce, file her nails and take bad phone messages (a Scotland Yard detective can't manage an answering machine or message service - or even a working mobile?), the utter lack of police procedure (no checking of phone records, as you say - but also, no checking of backgrounds to turn up such a simple thing as school records or previous addresses or aliases, never mind forensics!), the way the characters wander about aimlessly (was there ever a detective on such a loose schedule, with endless pub meals and surely-illegal help from his annoying friends) - and then the absurd device of animals that understand human speech, communicate telepathically in full sentences, and yet are utterly boring. The only relationship I found remotely convincing was between Dora and her cat. The whole thing meandered pointlessly and could have been 200 pages shorter - and still been bad.

Posted on Jul 11, 2011 8:30:08 AM PDT
Beej says:
I stopped reading the Jury books when I noticed that a child and/or an animal was harmed or killed in almost every one. I also got really really bored with the Aunt's obsession with "fairy cakes," although I quite like Melrose Plant.

Posted on Jul 3, 2013 12:00:12 PM PDT
M. Detlefsen says:
"The story line could have been improved and the whole "wall of shoes" seemed forced and silly, as if the author has watched too many episodes of SATC."

This would probably mean more if I had any idea what "SATC" stands for.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2013 6:36:17 PM PDT
Sex and the City TV series
Donna Swan

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2013 10:45:24 AM PST
Flute Lady says:
It's "Sex and the City." Took me a minute also, but the shoe reference made it obvious.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.7 out of 5 stars (133 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $0.01