5.0 out of 5 stars Bigger Than the Game, December 3, 2013
This review is from: The Kid: The Immortal Life of Ted Williams (Hardcover)
I don't remember many events from my youth, but those that I do are vivid and clear. I remember a time as a Boy Scout taking an excursion in the late 1960's with my troop to Tiger Stadium to see the Washington Senators vs. the Detroit Tigers. We all knew that Ted Williams (Senators' coach) would be there and hoped for a glimpse of the Legend. Luckily we faced the visitor "dug out" way up in the cheap seats. I remember seeing the great man standing like a statue made of marble sternly watching the Senators perform. I thought to myself - " Ted could pick up a bat and knock one out of the park if he wanted to", but he was the manager and chose to see his players do the job. I don't remember the outcome of this game. I just remember Ted Williams standing tall.

I admire Ted Williams to this day, and believe the man was bigger than the game. This timely published book is one of many attempts to define the complicated life of Ted Williams. He didn't like the press, wouldn't tip his hat to the fans (until his later years), and wrote his own account " Ted Williams - My Turn at Bat " as an attempt to straighten things out. Ted Williams always had something to prove, and the tenacity & talent to do so. It's hard to say what he would of thought of this book. I think he would have had issues, but as I read it: I got the sense that the author made every attempt to be impartial and honest about this complex and legendary man.

Ted Williams admits he was very sensitive. He would hear the single boo in a stadium of cheering fans. He did not like the press, and if they ever put Ted back together some day, he properly wouldn't like this book. Ted said "he always felt the weight of the world on his shoulders when he was actively playing". It was difficult for Ted to live up to his & the fans expectations, but he did, and used the criticism to fuel his many accomplishments both inside and outside the game. He said " he was glad his baseball years as a player was over and didn't wish to repeat it". Not sure if Ted wanted to be frozen or preserved in a state of "Bio-Stasis" - so he could be put together in the future. Maybe he was content to rest in peace with his ashes spread over the Florida keys. His son John Henry pushed hard to freeze his remains, and this book will explore the circumstances and family disagreements behind this act.

Ted Williams seemed driven to be the man everyone expected him to be. In the early stages of WW II - Williams applied for a Class 3-A status to reduce his chances for a draft - he did this for family reasons. The Press spun it as an attempt to avoid his patriotic duty. Ted Williams becomes a fighter pilot in both wars (WWII & Korea). Again, he drives hard to prove the press wrong.

This is a long book, but reads very well. It begins with Ted Williams' end, then an overview of his child hood, beginning of his baseball career, his rise to excellence, trouble with the press, his passion for fishing (he was placed in that Hall of Fame as well), his multiple marriages, family trouble, and once again to his ending. In the twilight of Ted's life he had his pet dog "Slugger" - whom he wished to be buried with, but didn't happen. Near the end of this extraordinary life - it was The Kid and his beloved dog.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 4, 2013 3:29:02 PM PST
Is the public to believe that you read this entire 864 page book in one day?

You wrote: "We all knew that Ted Williams (Senators' coach)"

He wasn't the coach he was the manager.

You wrote:" and hoped for a glimpse of the Legion."

I believe it should be "legend".

You wrote:" I remember seeing the great man standing like a stature made of marble"

It should be "statue".

My goal is not to be mean to an individual with these comments, but Ted Williams was one of my idols and I have read innumerable books on him before this 864 page book that was just released and I could have written a ten page review that would tell more about this man than was written here after this individual "supposedly" just completed reading 864 pages in the last twenty-four hours. Certainly in addition to having sore eyes and no sleep a more detailed cogent review could have and would have been created if the entire book had actually been read. I find it amazing that thirteen people immediately deemed this review helpful and didn't even flinch at the enormity of the claimed reading accomplishment and less than stellar writing by the so-called "reviewer".

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2013 4:56:08 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 4, 2013 4:59:34 PM PST
I've seen ARC's (Advance reading copies) on eBay. I don't think he read this in one day. I like the review. Please don't write your 10 pager.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2013 4:17:48 PM PST
BookVodney says:
Dear "THE TRUTH" - thanks for the proof read. I did read the book and shared my impression of it. In your case "THE TRUTH" = "THE SELF-RIGHTEOUS".

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2013 2:14:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 7, 2013 2:19:18 PM PST
Neanderthal says:
' truth '
I don't mean to be mean either, but nice run-on sentence.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2013 3:00:39 PM PST
Say Hey says:
Well, we all await the greatness of your stellar 10-page review (after all you are the high and mightY THE TRUTH!), but in the meantime: lighten up! His spelling errors are no big deal, nor is his apparent ability to read faster than you. It was a nice review. Get in the Christmas spirit!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2013 7:48:41 AM PST
Benzdrex says:
I am with you Robert D. Archer it,s same thing as bulling cutting someone to ribbons about there spelling or grammar this truth guy you should share your knowledge help people instead of putting them down what goes around comes around.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2014 12:52:24 PM PST
I counted eight spelling and grammatical errors in your two line post Robert.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (240 customer reviews)

$35.00 $23.95