1,049 of 1,192 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars 5 Stars Revised to 1 (60 inch screen review), April 12, 2012
This review is from: Samsung UN60ES8000 60-Inch 1080p 240Hz 3D Slim LED HDTV (Silver) (2012 Model) (Electronics)
This TV is absolutely incredible. I got the 60 inch and bought direct from Samsung's website as I had a discount. I love the design of the actual TV, it's base is sharp looking and the TV and bezel are so thin it's going to look amazing mounted on my stone wall. The resolution and black levels are amazing. When I first saw the motion control demonstrated at Fry's when they first got them in, it looked completely unresponsive, but after getting mine, I now know why that was. The room has to be bright. They were demonstrating it in a very dim room. It doesn't see your hand movement completely if it's dark. It is totally responsive and much more fluid than I originally thought. Honestly speaking it's REALLY cool, but I doubt I'll end up using it that much, maybe for my fantasy football app during football season or when I can't find the remote and I want to turn the volume up. I bet Samsung will create a wider range of uses for the motion control through updates later on. So I feel like there is more to come from the motion control as well as the voice control.

The voice control works really well. There isn't a huge list of commands, only ones on the screen, but it's neat and very impressive to people to speak to your TV, definitely peaking on the wow factor. Like I said, there aren't a ton of voice commands, but I feel this is a good base for expansion by Samsung updates.The amount of apps is plentiful and I love the fact that Samsung has introduced the Evolution Kits. What a great idea. Just a simple software upgrade instead of selling a TV when something new comes out.

Now for my only negative thus far into my purchase. I rented The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo on bluray to test how good the quality of the TV really is. It's phenomenal. HOWEVER, once the screen went to black as the credits rolled you DO see spotlighting from the corners. It's weird because you don't see it when you're on non-HD channels and they black bar the left and right sides. In fact the ONLY time I've seen the spotlighting is during the credits of the movie. You don't see it in dark scenes or when the movie in letterbox format. If someone can explain why I only saw it during movie credits and not when in letterbox, that would be great. I know this TV is edgelit not backlit, so the pixels aren't turned off.

All in all it's a tiny complaint for such an awesome TV that is packed with features no other TV has right now. How often are you watching just a black screen? Never. So seeing spotlighting during credits I really could careless, but for those who are completely obsessive may find it annoying. I am not going to knock down such an awesome TV a star over something like that. When you put this thing on your mantle, wall, or TV stand your jaw is going to drop at how sweet it looks even when it's off. Then you say "Hi TV - Power On" and wave your hand at the screen and it just gets even cooler.

**UPDATE** 4/14/12
Voice recognition actually has a lot more capabilities than I originally thought. When creating a Samsung account instead of remote control analog typing which can be tedious or the motion control which hurts you arm keeping it up for awhile typing out a long email, you can just say your full email address into the controller and it will get it pretty damn close. You can also say your name and all that and it did it no problem. My name is Chris, so it's not that complicated, but my last name has 2 Ts in a row and it got that somehow instead of just hearing one. Impressive. What is stupid is that you can't use the voice for entering in a URL or stuff like that. Why did they take away the QWERTY remote? Stupid. Also, to keep from having to manually log in, you can take screen shot of your face and it will log you in and all your PERSONAL setting from reading your face. That is super cool if you have people who like different settings.

Exploring the app store more, there is not a whole lot there, but I expect it to grow since this TV just came out a couple weeks ago. What I am REALLY hoping for is that they bring back the Yahoo apps. The immediate predecessor TVs had Yahoo apps and this one doesn't. A big thing for me was having Yahoo Fantasy Football on screen live updating while I'm watching games. I really don't understand why they dumped Yahoo or why the app store is so scant right now. They have dozens and dozens of kid friendly apps that probably make great use of the motion control, but how does that help me with no kids. I don't care about the Kids section or Family Story. Give me my Fantasy football app. I'm not kidding, they have like 4 sports apps and 25 kids apps. COME ON SAMSUNG!! Please expand on that soon. I am still trying to figure out how to rearrange the Smart Hub, it's unclear. I'll have to check the manual I guess.

I absolutely LOVE the AllShare Play. I just plug my external hard drive with downloaded movies into one of the USB inputs in the back and I got a full movie player and organizer. You can operate everything from the remote. It plays all the formats I've tested so far. Some had the volume kind of low, but if you choose the AUTO VOLUME setting it will automatically correct a volume issue.

Lastly, the amount of storage space on the TV is 785mb, but I've downloaded ZERO of anything and 407mb of that space are already used. I don't even feel like THAT many apps are downloaded already. You got Facebook, VUDU, Hulu, Netflix, MLB.TV, Pandora, Youtube, MTV Music Meter, NBA Gametime, Fitness VOD and CinemaNow. That's it. Then you have the Fitness, Kids, and Family Story programs which I think is what sucks a lot of that space away. Most of the apps are 5mb and below so I guess you can still download a lot of them, but I don't know what else I may be able to download as I explore more and 785mb seems skimpy.

**UPDATE** 4/15/12

AND..... I got a faint vertical yellow line of pixels (very thin) across the left quarter panel of the screen. Top to bottom. At first I thought it was an entire line of dead pixels, but I turned the TV off then back on and the line was gone. Few minutes later it's back again. It goes away then it comes back. It comes back EVERY time whenever I click on the Smart Hub. Also, there is so very faint gray lines across the whole screen that you can see during light scenes. In some parts, it looks like a 3D rectangular boxing. I though it may be some interference, but it's on all channels now and it wasn't there before. It only appeared at the same time as the faint yellow line.

Contrary to some other reviews knocking on Samsung's service, I called 1-800-SAMSUNG and was speaking to a live person after 2-3 button pushes. They are having a service person come out to fix it. If he can't fix it then they will exchange or refund my money they say. The entire service call was 22 minutes and that included describing what was wrong to 2 people and being on hold for 2 minutes. So as of right now, their customer service has been great. However, we'll see how the repair goes. They say I will get a call tomorrow from them to set an appointment.

I changed the review from 5 stars to 2 for right now because I was SOOO careful getting this out of the box and putting it on the TV stand. I don't know if the TV is super fragile because it's so thin, but I treated it like it was regardless. Maybe it got bumped around during shipping, but there was zero box damage and it worked fine for 5 days before the line appeared. I think it was just a quality control issue. Two stars, because this thin little line coming and going is super annoying. Screen is everything. I am very tempted to give it 1 star because it's been 5 days. But if they can fix it, and it never comes back and I never have an issue again, I'll raise the review up again. I think I am the only 60 inch screen review, so watch out.

**UPDATE** 4/23/12

Repair company contracted by Samsung came out last Tuesday (a day after scheduling, great response time) to diagnose problem. He typed some code on the remote to do a color test. I asked how he did that, but he said it's strongly advised you don't do the color screen test yourself because you can damage your screen. Anyways, the color test makes the whole screen go red, blue, green, white, black, or a pattern of colors. When he did this we saw that on blue, all the pixels were dead in the line top to bottom, as well as little speckles of dead ones around it. It was weird because on every other color the pixels worked, so maybe just the blue pixels were dead? Maybe this is why the line looked yellow when just watching tv. This line is so weird because it goes away sometimes. Even when it's there it's barely noticeable unless it's pointed out to you or it's a very light colored or bluish scene.

The repair guy said that the screen is ruined and it needs to be replaced. I was like wtf do you mean, the screen IS the TV, it's like an inch thick. I don't fault him because he's not even a Samsung employee, he's contracted by them. This was weird. He said it's Samsung's policy to allow 10 days for a part to come in, if it doesn't come in within 10 days they exchange the TV for a new one. The repair guy said because the 60" TV is SO new (it was the first one he'd seen) and that it was on backorder he said it was slim to none they'd get a new replacement screen in 10 days. He told me to call Samsung and tell them I don't have 10 days to waste when it's ultimately going to be the same result. When I spoke to Samsung on the phone, they didn't know what that "10 days" was about, but they confirmed that they have no replacement screens in stock for replacement. They are sending me a new TV and will take the old one. They said it will take 10-12 days. I don't know why people bitch about their customer service. I saw it as being great. I understand they have a process of trying to repair before they just jump into replacing. There are a lot of idiots who can't differentiate normal from defective.

The issue with the TV isn't unbearable to see, so I've been fine waiting. Although this has given me more time to see some things. The fact that the TV doesn't have a keyboard is completely annoying. You will no doubt want a keyboard if you are going to websurf or do anything where you frequently input text. They sell one separately. The voice thing is very good, but not always completely accurate. When you go to Smart Hub right now it says they are updating their system on 4/24/12 from midnight to 5am and the service won't be available during that time, so maybe their ironing out some kinks. I've also noticed the spotlighting is a little more frequent than originally thought. Whenever the screen is black and their is white on the screen with no letterbox, you will see spotlighting. I'll revise my review if my new TV is perfect.

**UPDATE** (5/12/12)

So my order for replacement was processed and I was called today and they now said there are no 60 inches for replacement and they have to give me a refund. Fine. I just want to move on. I like the look of the TV and some cool features, but I was scared my new one was going to be shoddy as well after several warnings from other users. I got IRATE because the guy said my SALES TAX wouldn't be refunded in addition to my $60 shipping since I purchased straight from Samsung's employee website which is the manufacturer and not a retailer. If there is NO SALE, THERE IS NO TAX no matter who the hell you are. I hung up with him and called Executive Customer Service and got her to give me my sales tax, but I lost my $60 shipping. 12-17 business days for my refund after picking up the TV. So through all of this I got NO TV and LOST $60. Hence another revising of my review from 2 stars to 1 star. Samsung just does not have their crap together with their TVs lately and BELIEVE ME I REALLY WANTED TO LIKE THIS TV. I learned a valuable lesson.

Last bit about the TV before I'm done. You will be sitting in your room, push no buttons, just watching and the voice control menu or motion control will come up (unprompted) and turn down the volume on your TV till it goes away or you pick up the remote and close it. It's like a glitch or something. Annoying. I am telling everyone out there, this is straight up honest review. I am not a Samsung hater. I've owned several Samsung TVs in the past. I picked Samsung because I felt it had the best picture and they are a reputable manufacturer. I gave it 5 stars in the beginning! Then 5 days later, it messed up and now I have no TV and $60 less. I was PUNISHED for buying this TV. Don't let it happen to you.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 13 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 240 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 13, 2012 10:16:25 AM PDT
M. Scotte says:
That's awesome. May I know how good your discount was?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2012 5:25:48 PM PDT
Mack says:
Ah, I don't know if I can say or not. It was real good, but not cost or anything. They still made money off me. They charged tax (Texas 8.25%) and $60 for shipping and I still saved a nice chunk. I'll say several hundred over Amazon's price for the 60.

Posted on Apr 15, 2012 4:00:47 PM PDT
Good review, I outside USA but i am going to buy this tv from USA . i would want to know the power voltage on this product ? It is usually written on the box or back of the tv. is it a 220 volt or 110 volts, or can it take both volts like laptops ?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2012 5:44:53 PM PDT
Mack says:
Well America has 110 volt outlets, so it's 110 volts. I looked on the box and user manual and couldn't find if it is compatible with 220 volt.

Posted on Apr 23, 2012 5:20:24 AM PDT
Vaughn Felix says:
Hey Chris need and update on the status of your samsung Samsung UN60ES8000 60-Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3D Slim LED HDTV. thing of getting the LG 55" Class Cinema 3D LED Google TV. So i wanna know the comparison.

thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 7:28:52 AM PDT
Mack says:
Posted. I think I may have gotten a lemon. My circumstance could have been avoided if I bought through Amazon with their great return policy, but the employee discount price swayed me. I'm not familiar with that LG, but if you get the Samsung you will not be let down by picture quality. It's amazing. Features are cool (it needs a keyboard though), the evolution kit is a great idea, and it definitely makes people go "wow, that's a nice TV." ALL OF THIS THOUGH.... is assuming you don't have a screen issue like me. I have a stone wall I wanted to mount this to. I was waiting to see if it had any screen issues. Now I'm scared the TV is so thin and fragile that I may damage it by touching it. TVs are SO thin now, which is cool, but that also makes them easier to damage.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 10:07:43 AM PDT
Vaughn Felix says:
Thanks Mack... indeed it a great television from reviewing the features. There is not another Television on the Market with all this feature.LG have a slim bezel as well. I have read somewhere it is the slimmest Bezel for any 2012 Television. But i am just concern about the performance of these Television. Shelling out almost 3 grand is a lot of dough. would have have really like if some did a actual overall comparison.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 11:15:42 AM PDT
NateTheSkate says:
I honestly think its all of them and not just yours. I recently got the 60" ES model and had severe flashlighting/spotlighting. anytime you watch anything darker and the backlight is above 5 you blatantly see the white marks in all 4 corners as well as 2 small spots near the lower middle quadrant of the screen. I honestly am to the point where I cant watch a movie or show in HD and not see the spots. Its so bad that I'm getting a refund from Samsung. This is the 2nd Samsung I have had light spot issues with and I'm done giving them the benefit of the doubt.

I also had a great experience with customer support, its not their fault they have a process to follow but it is the companies fault they cant release a product that isn't defective. I think they rushed these to the market to beat LG and Panasonic and because of this they released a product that wasn't ready for the market.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 8:02:36 PM PDT
Mack says:
Mine isn't that horrible. It's really just some tweaking of the settings, but I agree the spotlighting is more than likely on all of them. On mine, it's worse on the top corners, the bottoms aren't as pronounced. This is my first Samsung flat panel. I chose it after seeing all the top manufacture's 60" screens on display at Fry's all next to each other. Samsung had the best picture. I liked the Sharp too especially for the price. We'll see how this replacement goes. If it screws up I'll get a refund, but I really hope it doesn't because I love the picture quality....minus the spotlighting in a few instances.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2012 2:31:14 PM PDT
Oscar Gomez says:
Hi mack i had a similar issue with the previous model affter 5 or 6 days a 4 red dotes line appears and like 20 days latter appears a complete line like 4 inches a turns from red to black so i callling the samsung service and they changed me the tv for this model causes don`t have it in stock, so the representant from samsung said that cleans or touch the panel with the tv on causes an overburn of the pixel or zone that you pushing and causes a dead pixel and then moves the entire line of the tv, so it`s a great tv but it`s very sensitive with the touching, so maybe this causes your problem the same as mine.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 24 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.7 out of 5 stars (94 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $1,499.99