Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty much all I can say is "Holy ****.", July 19, 2011
This review is from: It's a 10 Miracle Leave-In Product, 10-Ounce Bottle (Health and Beauty)
I don't normally gush about products, so this is going to sound a little bit like a shill piece written by a salesperson, probably. It's not. I'm probably just talking like a giddy dip**** because I just finished styling my hair with this stuff and I'm a little in shock at the results.

A little backstory: I have mixed-race hair. Highly mixed-race hair (well, and the rest of me), as in my family tree looks like my ancestors got bored and went on a seven-continent sex tour. Unfortunately "Dry, frizzy, and curly" won the lottery as far as hair texture, though when I lived in Louisiana I was fine as long as I got relaxers and touch-ups every few months and used the right products. Cue a move to Chicago, a climate change that my hair didn't like, and three years of going out of my bloody mind trying to keep my hair straight for longer than half an hour. Whether I put the relaxer in myself or had a stylist do it, it never straightened fully; flat-ironing would finish it off, but the second I had to put any type of moisturizer in my hair (and with my hair type, I have to) it would immediately curl back up. Flat-ironing it again did nothing but make it frizzy and crunchy, even using the styling products recommended at various salons. They'd leave my hair waxy, gummy, tangled, partially straightened but mostly just a bushy mess that snapped combs in half like the hungry tentacles of Cthulhu. Not to mention repeated flat-ironing damaged my hair, even using protective products. Wrapping? Nothing. I'd just end up with a funny-shaped 'fro. I can't exactly afford to spend $200 every other day and four hours in a salon for them to go through the whole process for me, only for it to bunch up the second I walked out of the climate-controlled environment. I pretty much gave up, cropped my hair short, hid it under a do-rag, and thanked whatever was listening that I worked from home so I didn't have to see people very often. Some guys can pull off a crazy hipster fro. I'm not one of them.

I ran across It's a 10 Miracle Leave-in Product as a product recommendation when I was shopping for a multi-pack of combs. (See previous note about Cthulhu and the tentacles that have possessed my head.) I read the product description, read the reviews, thought "Yeah, right, but these people don't have hair like mine. It won't work. Nothing works." But I was curious, intrigued, so I bought it. It came a few days later, and after washing and drying my hair I sprayed it in.

Lo and behold, my hair immediately felt softer, smoother, much less brittle. I combed it through my curls and was pretty surprised at how easily the comb went through, like the spray changed my hair type and texture immediately. It even looked a little shinier in the mirror.

"Well, so great. Now I have manageable curls. I don't want curls, dang it."

But I was even more intrigued. I decided to order the repair mask ('cause really, I needed it after months of neglect since I gave up on my hair), the shampoo, and the conditioner. If I was going to experiment with this stuff, I was going to do it right. While I waited for the other products, I kept using the leave-in product daily, and watching my hair texture improve with each passing day. Finally the rest of the products came. Moment of truth, right? Wash my hair, condition it, then use the repair mask. Spray the leave-in product in, blow-dry, then use the leave-in product again as a flat-iron aid. First thing I discovered: don't use more than a light spritz per section of hair, unless you enjoy the sound and smell of moisture steaming off your hair at high temperatures. (It sounds like bacon on a griddle. It smells like...well, I wouldn't recommend it.) Second thing I discovered:

I have straight hair now, it's staying that way, and I think I'll be spending way too much money on this stuff, but it's still cheaper than thrice-weekly salon visits.

It's not perfect. My hair isn't perfectly glossy-smooth, yadda yadda. I don't look like a Pantene commercial. But my hair's straight and soft, it moves when I turn my head instead of hanging there in a stiff, fried mess, it's got a fairly decent shine, and it looks healthy. It's been about a day now and it's holding, too. I'm sure it'll curl back up when I wash it, but that's fine. It won't take me long to fix that. There is a bit of a waxy residue when I run my fingers through it, and I don't really like the feel of that, but it's not nearly as bad as some of the other products I've tried. Tolerable, at least. Using a boar-bristle brush after flat-ironing helps get rid of some of the waxiness, and also adds shine and helps settle a bit of a cloudy/floaty "poof" effect caused by separating the hair with a fine-tooth comb to straighten in sections.

Short version of the review: if you have mixed-race, frizzy, or otherwise problem hair, this stuff could be a lifesaver, though it works better in conjunction with other products from the same brand. It's not going to fix your hair overnight, especially if it's damaged, and it's still going to take some work--but it'll make that work a lot easier than it was before. I'm going to keep using it for a few months and if I see noticable repair and improvement that's worth crowing about, I'll come back with an update to my review.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 29, 2013 10:26:39 AM PDT
Would you say that leaving the product in during the day has any type of straitening effect? I don't use a flat iron, maybe it's male insecurity, maybe it's laziness, but I just never do it :/
My mop is really wavy and has more body than anyone I've ever met which I hate because I'm growing my hair out right now and I'm getting a sort of fro-ish look. I'd like it to lay flatter, so my question is, will this serve that purpose in any way?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2013 10:37:00 AM PDT
Eiji says:
To be honest, probably not. If your hair type is anything like mine, it's really hard to keep it moisturized without causing it to curl up more (you should see what happens when I put pink oil in it when it's perfectly straight--instant crunchy 'fro). When I put this in when my hair is curly, it makes the curls fuller and healthier, but if anything as I leave it in the curls just get stronger, even if they tend to group more smoothly. It works as a flat-iron aid, but I wouldn't even use it after flat-ironing because adding moisture instantly after would basically undo all the work I just did.

Don't be ashamed to flat-iron, my friend. I'm a guy, and I do it. When I'm not feeling too lazy--as it is a pain in the butt. But I'd recommend using keratin products to protect your hair from burning and frizzing, if you do try it.

There's also a 30-day keratin smoothing treatment you can use, like doing a Brazilian Blowout at home. It is a LOT of work for the application, a few hours to start, then leave it in for two days, then a few hours to finish...but you don't really have to mess with your hair again for 30 days except for washing and blowdrying/brushing it straight, and it protects your hair from heat better than the It's A 10 products, so it's worth the initial time and effort.

Hope this helps!

Posted on Dec 4, 2013 10:42:21 AM PST
mauichix says:
your review was so entertaining that I just had to read it all the way through, gonna try this stuff on my thick, wavy frizzy hair :)

Posted on Feb 20, 2014 2:15:58 PM PST
Martha Welsh says:
I hope you write for a living (or for the enjoyment of yourself and others)! I may not stop chortling over "my ancestors got bored and went on a seven-continent sex tour" for hours...days! Now I've got to look at your other reviews--oh, no, not Amazon stalking!

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 9:34:13 AM PDT
LOL OMG you're hysterical lol thanks for the review. I'm buying it for my bleach damaged hair :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2015 11:17:11 PM PST
FlamNgoil says:
I was going to say the same thing to you..."If you don't write, you should." You had me absolutely rolling...and that's a good thing.
You also convinced me to try this great product and it does the job on my coarse, dry hair. Just a few light spritzes and it's easy to comb out and looks much shinier.
It also doesn't have a powerful odor that is off putting with so many products.
Anyway thank you so much!

Posted on Jan 21, 2015 7:46:24 AM PST
Katje P says:
I thoroughly enjoyed your review!! You are a very talented writer.

Posted on May 27, 2015 1:28:29 PM PDT
A. Corsi says:
I stumbled across this review trying to help my boss (she just bought this product), I stayed to read your hilarious and fantastically written review. Then I creeper-stalked your profile and read some of your other reviews. Thank goodness it wasn't just me. I joked to my boss that I wanted to find you and become your friend. I'm sure you keep them well-entertained. Anyway, just wanted to pass on that you're fantastic.

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2015 11:01:51 AM PDT
DO mom says:
This is funny. I wouldn't have thought of this. Now I might do the same. Certainly a good writer.

Posted on May 30, 2015 11:02:51 AM PDT
DO mom says:
Thanks for the well written, and entertaining review.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›