Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars Simplicity + Eco-Drive = perfect, January 17, 2012
This review is from: Citizen Men's BM8475-00X Eco-Drive Military Black Plated Steel Canvas Strap Watch (Watch)
It wasn't too long ago when the only dials you had in your car dashboard were speed, rpm, temperature and fuel gauge. The only lighted indicators were usually just the turn signals. Today, some dashboards look like they belong on a spaceship. There are warning and maintenance lights for every possible system in the car. And, it seems like they turn on with more frequency than ever before. My car clamors for attention and service nearly every other month. I just shake my head in frustration.

It's moments like that where I yearn for the simpler days. On those mornings, I inevitably reach for this Citizen military watch. It's grab-n-go ready. It's got everything I need and nothing I don't.

The primary attractions for me were twofold: clean-n-simple military looks and Eco-Drive. The back-to-basics dial format works hand-in-hand with the military styling. It's one that has a similar look-n-feel to certain Bell & Ross (B&R) and Sinn models - a very good thing.

The watch is a simple three hand quartz on a four number dial with a day/date feature at the 3 o'clock position. The size of the day/date is acceptable. It's a game of compromise between big font legibility and design aesthetics. Some have voiced their preference for eliminating this to clean up the face. I prefer and need it. It's been done well without displacing the "3" on the dial.

The watch is imminently readable at a glance, thanks to light colored, big fonts against a darker face. Under ambient or moderate lighting, the olive dial can be mistaken for a black one, especially if glanced at certain angles. Otherwise, it's clearly olive. If Citizen had introduced a white-on-black version, that would have been nirvana for me - my very own B&R/Sinn-styled watch with quartz accuracy/reliability. But, I've grown to appreciate the olive dial since I already have a black face dial and it seems truer to the military theme. I'm glad I got this one. At the time of this review, Citizen has introduced two additional versions: a black-on-black (model BM8475-00F) and an orange-on-black (model BM8475-26E). Both of these versions have a slightly revised "3" font and the addition of military hours around the perimeter of the dial.

The black ion-plated case has a matte finish, measures 42mm in diameter (about 45mm with the non-screw down knurled crown), about 49mm tall (lug-to-lug) and 22mm between the lugs. The ion-plated case and mineral crystal won't be as ding-proof as a PVD and sapphire combination, but for the price point, it works. The watch wears slightly larger since there's no thick bezel, thus the case is nearly all dial. This is somewhat offset by the large four number font format 3-6-9-12. The watch is not "trendy large" but certainly bigger than traditionally modest sizes.

This version comes with a standard 7 ¾" mens length black canvas strap with seven eyelet grommets. The eyelets have coarse adjustments so you may not get an exact fit. The strap has about 4mm of light padding at the lug end which then tapers to about 3mm by the first eyelet (tightest fit eyelet). The buckle on the strap is silver matte (not matching black). The strap is sturdy and goes well with the military theme. On earlier production models, there were some comments from others in regards to an odor from the strap. I didn't experience any unusual odors, so Citizen may have gotten this sorted out.

After a strong charge under a light, the lume does glow through the night albeit, fading as the night progresses. On a 10pm light charge, the lume glowed well for the first couple of hours. When I woke at 5am, it was barely visible, but still there.

The Eco-Drive system has worked flawlessly thus far. Then again, I've only had this watch for about two months, which is still well within the 6 month "total darkness" power reserve. When it's not being worn, it's on a display stand exposed to indirect/filtered sunlight daily. So, I don't expect to experience any low-battery conditions. I won't go into details about the Eco-Drive system since Citizen's web site takes care of that. Since it'll never need a battery replacement, the only attention it will require is for daylight savings adjustment and day/date advancement for months less than 31 days.

With clean-n-simple military looks and near maintenance free operation, this watch will provide a lifetime of service and won't ask for much in return. I just wish my car was like this.

For a video review, click the link below:

[...]

If the link is disabled, just search "Citizen Eco-Drive Military Watch BM8475" on youtube.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 27, 2012 5:10:04 PM PST
HighwayStar says:
Great review and thank you for taking the time to write & post it. Long story short I too wanted a simpler, clean & easy to read watch without the bother of battery & gasket changes. Tried a few budget automatics and only one really suited me. Unfortunately I kinda creamed it recently really scratching the crystal (might be able to have it buffed out, don't know). Like you I've also owned Citizen Eco-Drives, one slim tank styled dress and and a titanium World Timer. I wouldn't consider either an everyday beater and was looking for something else. Came across this, kinda fell in love with it, and did a little research, reading reviews & such. Pulled the trigger (found it cheaper elsewhere or would have bought it here) and couldn't be happier. Don't care for canvas straps in general, but this one wasn't bad, having a comfortable backing on it. But honestly it was a little short for me. I had a new rubber diver's style strap lying around and installed that. Now it's pretty much perfect, for me at least. Upon receipt I set it to 'atomic" time (lol) and though I've only had it a week or so it's spot on to the second. I'm truly happy with this watch. Easy for my aging eyes to read at a glance. Thank you again for your detailed review, helping me with this purchase.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›