5.0 out of 5 stars The concepts in this book are life-saving (and tasty too)!, June 12, 2012
This review is from: It Starts with Food: Discover the Whole30 and Change Your Life in Unexpected Ways (Hardcover)
Co-workers would ask me if I had had lunch if I was critical or demanding. They noticed that I was meaner when I was hungry and, unfortunately, I was hungry a lot. Eventually I was eating 6 times per day, but still got hungry. And as I got older, I got heavier. My body fat ballooned up to 37 percent. If you had known me in 1994 when I was competing in a marathon (26.2 mile) race every month, you might not believe it possible, but I gained 55 pounds.

I decided to do something about it in 2008 and joined a CrossFit gym - lifting weights, performing gymnastic moves, and literally standing on my head doing high intensity exercise three times per week. I ran 5 to 10 miles every weekend. I ate better - lots of salmon and veggies from the frozen food case - but after two years of effort, my body fat was still 27 percent. I had lost 20 pounds, but remained pudgy. Then I heard about Dallas and Melissa Hartwig's Whole30 program.

I did my first Whole30 in 2010. About two weeks into the program, I noticed that I was sleeping better. Then I started to set new personal records lifting heavy weights in the gym. I felt great and my energy levels stayed even across the day. I quit being so grumpy! I decided to keep following the Whole30 way of eating. After a few months, my annual blood work showed big improvements: good cholesterol - UP, bad cholesterol - DOWN. And I was losing weight. Nothing dramatic, but typically two pounds per month. The two pounds per month continued 15 months and I lost 30 pounds! I finally stopped losing weight when I was just 10 pounds above my marathon running weight from the 90's. And that 10 pounds was all new muscle!

I first met Dallas and Melissa Hartwig in 2011 when I attended one of their in-person nutrition workshops. They were just as smart, friendly, and good looking in person as they were online. They are truly inspiring people. And their book - It Starts With Food - is just like them - smart, practical, informative, kind, tough, motivating, inspiring, hopeful...

As someone who has read most of the information on their website and attended their workshops, I expected to be familiar with everything in It Starts With Food, but I was wrong. The discussions of food cravings, the psychology of eating, and much of the science was new to me. And the Hartwigs made the science interesting. I wish my high school and college biology teachers had been as clear and practical as them! The Whole30 program is discussed in the book and the Hartwigs explain how you can do your own Whole30 and start getting the same kind of results I got in mine.

It Starts With Food is an incredible resource for anyone who wants to develop a healthier relationship with food or who just plain needs to because what they are doing now is killing them.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 1, 2013 6:14:00 AM PDT
Is this affordable? Motivation is not the problem for me, are the food options affordable? So many plans include ridiculous expectations like having fish and chicken throughout the day.

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2013 1:23:53 AM PDT
Great Cook says:
This book is about eating healthy, and eating fish and chicken all day is Not healthy.

You might want to check it out at your local Library for a couple of weeks..

Posted on May 22, 2013 7:07:07 AM PDT
Emily says:
Is this suitable for vegetarians?

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2013 11:38:18 AM PDT
Emily,
I think this is like the Paleo diet.
Lower carbs,no wheat, not eating processed foods. Eating Organic pastured meats, all different types.Eating healthy fats, also in meats etc.
No dairy, milk etc.
I think it's ok to have Raw organic pastured dairy..

There are a few vegetarians recipes, but this is not what the book is about.
Personally, I do NOT think this is a book for vegetarians!

One of the things it says on the back of the book:
It Starts with Food: Addresses the unhealthy relationship many of us have with food, and shows us how getting back to eating what nature intended can heal us not only physical, but physically as well.

You also might want to see if your local library has the book, before buying this one.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2013 3:21:52 PM PDT
May Stewart says:
Is there much in this book for arthritis, like in the hand or knees?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2013 6:43:43 PM PDT
Barbara S. says:
I haven't read this particular book yet, so I can't say for sure. However keep in mind this book is a nutrition book (which is very important) and not an exercise book - you might want to check out Treat Your Own Knee Arthritis and Treat Your Own Hand and Thumb Osteoarthritis for that. Hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2013 1:21:53 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 11, 2013 11:45:58 AM PDT
Great Cook says:
May, I did not notice anything about Arthritis in this book..
Go into Google, and ask what foods are Anti inflammatory, and what foods you should not eat for Arthritis., and what foods are good for Arthritis....I do know that night shade vegetables cause pain for some people that eat it, that have arthritis.
I buy from Amazon, "Arth-X Platinum, and we take two a day..it helps allot for arthritis.
Also you can mix 1/4 tesp Turmeric and 1/4 tesp. raw organic honey together..Take everyday. It is a good Anti inflammatory..Raw Ginger is also.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2013 10:37:20 PM PDT
P says:
I had bad finger joint and wrist pain for the last few years and I figured I had to live with the arthritis pain since my mother and both grandmothers had the infliction and I use the computer all day. I just found out about this book, but about three months ago my older sister and I decided to go low-carb and we gave up sugar, including most fruits, and all wheat, rice and other grain products (but I still drink a dark beer once or twice a week and she still had a glass of wine here and there). Giving up sugar and grain products made the pain of arthritis in my hands go away within a week - I am totally serious. After this happened I researched it and found that sugar is a major inflammatory. Not only have I lost 15 pounds (so has my sister) by eating meat (including burgers and organic hotdogs), veggies, cheese, eggs, even full-fat salad dressings, butter and REAL heavy cream in my coffee, but I also haven't felt this good in over 20 years. I upped the veggies a lot and even feel that my recovery after running or biking is quicker. Gone are the aches and pains - including headaches that I've suffered from since my 20's (I am now 52). You really need to try a program like this and be faithful to yourself by cutting out the sugar and wheat and other grains. If you stick with it, it becomes easier and you'll see vast improvements! It is really quite easy to eat this way - it just takes a shift in how you think and a little planning.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2013 10:42:56 PM PDT
P,
Very good to hear how great it worked for you.
That said, I stopped eating wheat/Grain, and less sugar. Eat Organic etc. The sides of my skinny feet do not hurt anymore..
Although I have not lost a pound!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2013 6:11:53 AM PDT
P says:
I stopped eating all sugar, except a gram or two that gets added into some stuff, but I check labels. I also gave up fruit entirely (except tomatoes) and I eat more veggies. For about two weeks, I kept my grams of carbs less than 30 - which required pretty much no nuts - I believe it's the insulin regulation that helps the weight loss, but the removal of sugar and grains that helps the joints.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›