5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional Value, September 24, 2012
This review is from: Rothco Parachute Cargo Duffle Bag (Apparel)
Original review: 9.24.2012. Revised review: 11.15.2012.

Whenever I ride my motorcycle, I wear and bring gear that not even my largest backpack can hold. But after reaching my destination, I don't want my belongings dangling all over my arms, nor do I want to wear them anymore. So instead, I remove from my backpack this folded parachute cargo duffle bag and expand it to its enormity. It swallows everything, including my backpack. In fact, even another rider's possessions can still fit into it.

As it turns out, the bag's humongous carrying capacity of 4,680 cubic inches (77 liters) is too large for my normal rides. For those, I eventually bought the mini version of this bag: the 2,508-cubic-inch (41 liters) Rothco Tactical Cargo Bag. At only 54% the size of its bigger brother, that smaller bag is more appropriate. However, I still like this big one in many ways.

Because although it's large, it has short, snub-nosed ends that don't interfere with my striding legs; long duffel bags do. That boxy shape also makes the filled bag stand easily. By contrast, the typical duffel bag would sit like a floppy mess on the deck and would take up a larger floor space, thereby getting in my way and others, too.

Durability-wise, the thick canvas is rugged. Plus, the handles wrap completely around the bag for heavy load-bearing duties. Then should I need both hands free, those large looping handles can be worn through both shoulders. So, yes, this can be a versatile backpack in a pinch.

And because of its enormous size, I use it now to relieve me of unnecessary work. Compactly folded (to the size of folded jeans) and unobtrusively put away in the trunk of my car, the herculean bag unfurls to haul my groceries and stuff from my car to the house. My one trip sure beats repeatedly going back-and-forth between the two. Also, since it's inconspicuously stowed in the trunk, it doesn't get in the way of whatever else I'll need to put in there. Plus, the hidden bag will be at the ready for future use.

However, my one complaint is the canvas handles. Being 1.75 inches wide, they're void of comfort features -- like a neoprene wrap or some kind of curved hand grip -- that would make heaving a full and heavy load more tolerable. As they are now, the fibrous handles crumple into your hand like a small rope, resulting in them digging into your flesh. But to be fair, this bag has a military heritage. Consequently, comfort features for handles on this bag are unnecessary luxury items.

Overall, the usefulness of this Rothco bag is remarkable for its massive size, rugged strength, and easy portability - all for only $21. You'd be hard-pressed to find that kind of exceptional value nowadays.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]