Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Amethyst Jewelry Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now Sale

3.0 out of 5 stars Multiplayer is where the fun is, March 15, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Homefront - PC (Video Game)
{{Note: This review might not follow smoothly in terms of paragraph, world choice or language in general. I plan to make it up by including some facts that hopefully will help you.}}

The developer of this game Kaos Studios was formed in 2006 by THQ for sole purpose of creating FPS games. Kaos launched it's first game Frontlines: Fuel of War in 2008. It was an average game. Now 3 years later Kaos has released Homefront, which is in some sense similar to Frontlines...drones, emps, global crisis etc. If you liked Frontlines, you most likely won't be disappointed by Homefront. The only downside over Frontlines is possibly the fact that they lowered maximum pc player number from 64 to 32. Anyway getting to Homefront now...

SINGLEPLAYER:
There's been a lot of hype about the single player campaign. It is written by John Milius, co-writer of Apocalypse Now (Three-Disc Full Disclosure Edition) (Apocalypse Now / Apocalypse Now Redux / Hearts of Darkness) [Blu-ray] (1979). If you're into storylines, then you'll most likely love it. There's enough dialogs in the game, the characters are uniquely build. If you're into shooting, then there's some good shooting for you.

The downside is --
(1) A typical gamer would be done with the missions in ~4 hours. If you're planning on buying Homefront ONLY for singleplayer mission, then it's not worth $50.
(2) You're continuously being told what to do which includes following your teammates till the end. I personally don't mind that but I figure there are people who prefer to do things there own way. Meanwhile, the upside is your teammates let you use the toys. You get to use Goliath from time to time... and Chopper too...both are loads of fun!

MULTIPLAYER --
Multiplayer is what everything this game is about.
I really like two unique features of this game:
(1) Battle Commander game mode: Each team has a AI commander. They assign "priority threat" to enemies who go on killstreak.
(2) Points System: this allows you to "buy" weapons on the go. I can buy RPG (given I have enough points) to take out a tank that's pissing me off. Nomore hiding from the tank b/c I don't have the correct loadout. I hope other games think of features that allows me to get weapons on the go.

The bad--
(1) The graphics aren't amazing. For me it has more than my computer can handle. But I've heard some people say it's going backward in terms of graphics. Just thought I should throw it out there.
(2) Animation for grenade throw is awful. Hopefully they'll patch it up.
(3) There aren't that many types of gameplay. COOP is not there. I personally am a sucker for COOP gameplay. There's no attack and defend type of game mode either??
(4) Not completely destructible environment.
(5) You need steam. This will annoy those who don't like steam.
(6) Installation procedure is awful. I downloaded ~7.5 GB from the site I bought Homefront. When I tried installing it started steam for me. The game got added to stream BUT...wait for it...I still had another 50% (or maybe 30% i can't remember exactly) to download off stream. That had to be one of the worse installation procedure for a game.

Other random thoughts...
(1) You can prone in this game.
(2) I've heard talks about sinper being overpowered. I didn't notice much of this on my first day of gameplay.
(3) The "enemy spotted", "need a ride" radio feature seems something like that of Battlefield 2 (?) / Play4Free.

Lastly I realize that lots of you still aren't sure if you want to buy this game or not. This is possibly why you're reading these reviews to being with. I don't blame ya, they gave no demo or beta for us to test. I would suggest you to watch videos over youtube (there are plenty there already...and many more to come). And if you've got questions, feel free to drop comments. I'll keep an eye on it for next few days/weeks.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 15, 2011 3:59:41 PM PDT
Brennok says:
I have heard there is a lobby system in MP like COD:MW2 on the PC, is this true?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2011 4:16:30 PM PDT
Yes there's a online server lobby listing servers. You can sort, favorite, lookup friends etc there. I've no idea how COD:MW2 lobby looks like though. So not sure if that helped.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2011 4:26:55 PM PDT
Brennok says:
Ok thanks. Pass for me. I hate sitting in a lobby between map changes.

Posted on Mar 16, 2011 9:47:30 AM PDT
Anonymous says:
Im playing at 1920x1200 no problem. You need to change the aspect ratio to get different resolutions.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2011 6:27:31 PM PDT
appreciate it thanks ;)

Posted on Mar 20, 2011 1:06:35 AM PDT
musam says:
Do you have to have steam account only for this game to be played? because i might sell it in the future and i cant sell if its under a specific account. the customer wont accept it know what i mean?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2011 5:47:08 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 20, 2011 5:47:34 AM PDT
Yes you need to have steam. You can add it to your existing account or to a new one. They obviously did it to make reselling difficult.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›