3.0 out of 5 stars Okay printer but needs the bugs worked out!, December 29, 2010
This review is from: HP Officejet Pro 8500A Premium Wireless e-All-in-One (CM758A#B1H) (Office Product)
I received this printer from Amazon on 12/16/2010 and the box was a little beat up on one side but nothing in the box was damaged. The initial setup was easy and the printer looks great but it went down hill after that. It makes many noises when powering up, just FYI! The ePrint function would not work and finally I had to get tech support involved to try and resolve the issue. After about 45 minutes of checking this and that, it was finally determined by the tech (which was in India, come on HP give some Americans jobs!) that the problem was with HP's ePrint server. I was told to try again in 24 hours and see if the server was back up. I finally got that working after 8 days but I had another issue, and this is the one that was the worst. If I had to live without ePrint, so be it. But I can't live with lines in my printouts. I had horizontal lines in every page I tried to print or if I made copies. I did the clean printheads, align printheads, calibrate linefeed, over and over again. I would print the Quality Report and it would still show lines. I removed the ink cartridges and printheads, power off with button held in and power cord unplugged from printer, checked HP's website for diagnosing the problem and they recommended replacing the printheads after doing all that I had done. Okay, this is a NEW printer and I have to replace the printheads already? Are you kidding me? I am not going to spend another $100 plus to replace the printheads. So, today I finally call HP support because enough was enough and again I get a guy in India. Nice guy and I explained everything that I had done already to this point and he had me try a few other things but it didn't work. It was determined that the printer has a hardware issue. So, HP is going to send me a REFURBISHED printer at no cost to me provided I get the current one sent back within three days and HP must receive it within 15 days or I get charged for a NEW one??? I guess I could of sent this back to Amazon but then I would have been charged shipping charges and it is an opened product and most of the ink is already used. I don't know what the charges would of been but so be it and I need a printer. If the refurbished one doesn't work, then they will have to send me another one until I get one that works without problems...so, maybe I will end up with a new one after all.

Anyway, the printer is fast, makes fast copies, and the scanner is fast. I don't use the fax, so I don't know how well that works. I like the touch screen but I do wish that HP had put an arm for support on the scanner/copy lid because it doesn't have one. You have to be careful with that! Making copies with front and back is pretty quick, quicker than I thought it would be. It's not a bad printer but HP needs to get the bugs worked out. For those of you who have had no problems with your printer, be thankful. For me, this is a learning experience and this is also my first HP printer. I have always hated their printers and thought they were junk because of places where I worked they had HP printers and they were always breaking down. I have either had Canon or Epson printers but neither company had a printer that had these capabilities. The ePrint is a very nice feature. It's nice to be at work and be able to print something to this printer while I am still at work.

Would I recommend this printer? Yes, but with hesitation. If Canon, or even Epson, had a printer that had these capabilities, I would have most certainly bought on of those, especially the Canon. I have had three Canon printers and one Epson and I only had to have one Canon repaired and it was still under warranty. I guess the more functions the printer has the more that can go wrong.

I will try to update this when I get the refurbished printer because I would like to let you know the continuing story. So, until next time....

Update...

I got my NEW printer, not REFURBISED, on 1/6/2011 and it works as it is suppose to work. This printer is much quieter, no lines in the printouts. The ink consumption is low and printouts look good. Now I can give it 4 stars but the reason I don't give it 5 stars is because the scanner/copier lid does not have a support arm. If you are doing lots of photos, then this is not the printer you want. I do recommend it for printing webpages, documents, spreadsheets and any other general type printing. The best thing about it is it's wireless and the ePrint on this printer worked the first time. Setup is easy and now I have a printer that works!

I sent the bad printer back on 1/8/2011 and HP received it today. Thanks HP for the service and Amazon for the low price!

Latest update...

Printer died after one year and could not be repaired. HP should be made to refund consumer's money for making a lemon product! They seem to have gotten it right with the 8600 but the 8500 was lemon and should be avoided! Lesson learned!

[Add comment]