5.0 out of 5 stars Simply put..."Excellent" !, November 18, 2011
This review is from: Fujifilm X10 12 MP EXR CMOS Digital Camera with f2.0-f2.8 4x Optical Zoom Lens and 2.8-Inch LCD (Camera)
I think it is important that someone own, or at least have used, a camera before they submit a review on it. Given that, I'm not sure why anyone considering a purchase of this camera would be interested in a reviewer who says "they hope it's a great camera" or "it will probably be a good camera". There are a lot of discussion forums for that sort of thing. I'm betting that people want to hear from those of us who actually have the thing in our hands....so here goes.

First my credentials. I'm an amateur photographer (at best). I enjoy photography and spend money on what I consider to be quality cameras. In addition to my Nikon D7000, I'm a proud owner of the Fujifilm x100. It has taught me a great deal about photography, especially framing shots and using my feet as my telephoto lens. I'm also the owner of a Canon S95, Panasonic DMC-LC1 (and previously owned the Leica Digilux 2), Sony Nex 5, and Panasonic LX5. I also previously owned a Panasonic GF1.

Why so many small cameras you ask? Because I've never found that ONE that suited all my needs....until now. Don't get me wrong, the Fuji X10 isn't perfect and there are still some tradeoffs, but it is as close as I have come to finding the perfect camera for me.

I have to be honest and say that my favorite camera, and model to which all others are measured, was my Leica Digilux 2. Great build, fantastic lens, and really a great camera. However, it was rather large, only 5 megapixel, poor video performance and had a small sensor. As it aged, it just couldn't compete and I have long looked for a camera to adequately replace it and receive my "favorite" label. The X10 comes as close as a perfect replacement for that camera as you can get and I am amazed. It is my new favorite and I have it with me all of the time.

First, it is really well-built, along the lines of the X100. Secondly, it is small......no, it's not as small as the Canon S95 or even the Panasonic LX5. You won't be able to put it in your shirt pocket, but it fits nicely in a coat pocket or purse. Secondly, it has both an LCD and optical viewfinder. True, the optical viewfinder has its limitations and isn't anywhere approaching the wonderful electronic/optical viewfinder on the X100, BUT it is built-in where many of the small footprint cameras require you to purchase an optical viewfinder as an add-on. The viewfinder comes in handy on sunny days. The AF focus is much faster than the X100.....not quite as fast as the Panasonic GF1, but still pretty good. I love the power on by rotating the lens! Very responsive camera. And what about the lens???? f2.0 - f2.8....Fantastic and oh, those Fuji colors.

I could go on an on about all of the features, but those are listed elsewhere. What you really need to know is that this is a GREAT camera for anyone serious about photography. Well built, full featured, great photos, 4x optical zoom, fast lens, and small enough to carry anywhere. It is, simply put, the best all-around camera I have seen. For many, it will likely be the last camera they ever need to buy. Family shots, vacations, travel, HD video...it seems to meet 95% of my needs and I suspect it will yours. Most importantly, the quality of the pictures is truly top notch.

As so many have said, the best camera is the one that you have with you. For me, I travel a little bit and hate taking my Nikon gear on a plane. Plus, it simply is not feasible to take it everywhere I go. Still, I want to be able to get great photos at any given moment. A family gathering, a trip, whatever. For those kinds of moments, I need a top quality performer and (sorry X100) the 4X zoom can certainly be handy. The X10 is a winner and worth every penny of its purchase price when looking at what you get.

If you're looking for that one camera that will do it all for you and small enough to take everywhere, or a secondary camera to that big Nikon or Canon that you can't always take along.......this may well be THE ONE.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]