5.0 out of 5 stars I wished upon a star and my dream came true!, November 15, 2007
This review is from: Close Encounters of the Third Kind (30th Anniversary Ultimate Edition) (DVD)
Now this is the way it should be. You get all three cuts, all remastered in 5.1 surround and all have been digitally transferred. Thank you so much Mr. Spielberg because this without a doubt has to be one of your best (along with the original ET).

Last night, I watched the original theatrical version and forgot how much was removed for the "Special Editions" and the final "Director's Cut". In my mind, the original version is the best and to finally have it in all it's uncut 5.1 surround sound (which didn't exist back then) glory is simply wonderful.

The packaging is nice, although I found it very difficult to remove the DVDs without fearing I might snap them because the locking mechanism seems to not want to let go of the DVDs no matter how hard I press down on them. I suppose I could look at it in that I shouldn't fear them coming off during shipping and getting scratched up.

The box is nicely designed and inside are some wonderful items. It comes with a poster that gives a time line for each movie and where each cut differs which I found really interesting. It also comes with a book full of bios on the actors and other people that worked on the film. Plenty of in-movie and behind-the-scene shots. Finally, the three DVDs are housed in a tri-fold container. Inside and outside are colorful shots from the movies and it really makes the entire set look nice.

In addition to the three editions of the movies, there is also a new "30 Years" documentary looking back over time at how CE has been a favorite movie that has stood the test of time. Also, the making-of documentary that was on the original Director's Edition that came out a few years ago has been split across the three DVDs. Also included is the 1977 making of documentary which was also on the previously released Director's Cut DVD.

Missing are all the "deleted" scenes that were included on the Director's Cut. So, if you own that one, it might be best to keep it since they are absent from this edition.

Overall, this is an excellent release and no one should be without it. To finally watch it like I did when it first came out back in 1977 (and I lived in Muncie, Indiana at that time so you can just imagine what the crowd did when that came up during the movie) was so refreshing and wonderful that I can't wait to watch it again!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 15, 2007 8:42:05 AM PST
Your review was the most helpful--Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2007 9:14:34 AM PST
Thanks! I'm glad to be of help. I just wanted to get to what this release offered and not rehash the story line. I think we all know what happens! It's just so wonderful to see it in it's original glory.

Enjoy!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2007 9:59:28 AM PST
Yes, Ivan, it is wonderful isn't it to have all three! Glad you like the Original Theatrical release as well, there is a simple, streamlined beauty to it, it follows Roy's direct path to the mountain without breaking it to pieces with inserted scenes here and there. What an amazing experience to have seen the film in Muncie and to hear the audience reaction! Lucky you!

My favorite of Spielberg's films, no doubt. I haven't looked at the Milky Way the same since!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2007 5:58:13 PM PST
W. A. H. says:
You wanna hear a kick in the pants? I went to visit a friend in Colorado. I mentioned that I'd been a huge fan of Close Encounters all of my life. Out of nowhere, my friend says, "Hey, you wanna go to Wyoming and see Devil's Tower?"
I damn near jumped out of my chair.
We took off. Wyoming is an amazingly beautiful state, from from the oil fields where the oil pumps go up and down in their field . . . ALL PAINTED TO LOOK LIKE GIANT GRASSHOPPERS, to a home carved into a mesa. Not a home build into a mesa, the mesa WAS the house. Carved out windows and everything.
After eight hours on the road, we reached Devil's Tower National park. The clouds had gotten heavy, and by the time we reached the Park Ranger's station, you could not see it.
I mean, I stood at it's base. I saw the huge columns of stone that had fallen off its side, but I COULD NOT see it through the clouds.
That was 20 years ago.
Never been back.
Funniest part for me, being an East Coast Kid, we were driving along this road flanked by massive farm fields, the radio of course, static--then music---static---then a minister---static--then, "And remember: Today at Roger's Gas and Sip, today's flavor is CHOCOLATE!"
I laughed my butt off, and wanted to live there as soon as I heard that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2007 9:53:12 AM PST
That's a great story! I've always wanted to make a pilgrimage to the Tower and hope to do so one day. I'd better plan it for better weather so I don't go all that way to find it enshrouded in fog! Still, you got to go and that's fantastic.

Posted on Dec 4, 2007 1:19:39 PM PST
> Thank you so much Mr. Spielberg because this without a
> doubt has to be one of your best (along with the original ET).

Don't forget Jaws and Duel. I'd love to see Duel the way he'd intended to make it--no dialogue at all and none of the interior monologues that are pointless. But the producers balked at the idea of no dialogue on TV, so they made him throw in mindless junk like, "Oh, he's gainin' on me again! I just can't outrun him!" Pity.

> Last night, I watched the original theatrical version and forgot how much
> was removed for the "Special Editions" and the final "Director's Cut".

So true. I was struck by the same thought. You know, Spielberg said during filming he wanted the film to be "gentle, like an embrace." That's how the original feels and that kind of got lost in the recuts, where he tried to kick up the tension more with a harsher vision. I think subliminally he was feeling the pressure of 80s directors--Cameron and Ridley Scott and so on--to have more action and more cross-cutting, a faster pace. Doesn't work for this film, in my opinion, and that's why I feel all the subsequent cuts are flawed.

> In my mind, the original version is the best and to finally have it in all it's
> uncut 5.1 surround sound (which didn't exist back then) glory is
> simply wonderful.

Yup. They did a GREAT job with the remastering too. The image has never been sharper, the colors never brighter. Maybe they're a little too bright, actually. There are some shots of the UFOs that look a little too "bleedy." Still, this is the best picture and sound yet--for any of the versions.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2008 12:11:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 10, 2008 12:20:14 PM PDT
BreeInAZ says:
When I went there in October of '78, the weather was POSTCARD PERFECT... and I was surprised at being up close how small Devil's Tower actually appeared, but it was so isolated with no rock formation near to it or even resembling it... you could see it from several miles away, just like the movie. The cool thing was talking to a Park Ranger who was there for the entire filming duration... he told me so many stories that I'd nearly let an hour pass bi before I rejoined the rest of my troop. Oh, if only I had those memoirs recorded... he witnessed Hollywood moviemaking history. He told me within the first days of summer vacation, just a few months prior to my visit, it was like nothing they'd ever seen... people from all over the world flocked there in droves... it outpaced that decade's worth of visitors in just one summer - they were simply not prepared and were overwhelmed bi the mass visitation of humankind. They ran out of everything within a 10+ mile radius.... food, souvenirs, film, gas, parking, lodging... you name it.... talk about a cinematic impact and audience connection. Also, did you know that Pres. Teddy Roosevelt designated Devil's Tower as THE very first National Monument in the US?

Posted on Dec 28, 2008 10:47:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2008 10:48:59 AM PST
D. Miner says:
Regarding the deleted scenes, I checked the Blu-ray against the 2001 DVD, and it featured eleven deleted scenes, nine of which are included on the second disc of the Blu set. The other two are included as part of the first disc's multiple versions of the film. Therefore nobody should be afraid of abandoning the DVD of the film for an upgrade.

Posted on Jan 17, 2009 8:17:22 PM PST
So the picture and sound quality is better on this edition than on the 2001 DVD? Because I really only want the Director's Cut, but if the quality on the 3-film set is better, then I would be willing to buy it.

Posted on Dec 9, 2009 6:36:43 AM PST