2.0 out of 5 stars Subtitles really do make a difference, March 24, 2009
This review is from: Let The Right One In (DVD)
I was very disappointed with this DVD. So much so that I'm returning my copy of it. I saw the movie in theatres, and found it masterful. The amazing tone is part of the beauty of the film, and the subtitles on the US DVD release are a travesty. They remove most of the subtlety from the tone and characters (see [...] for examples). The movie I saw in theatres was a masterpiece; the movie on this DVD (using subtitles) is a mediocrity. If you are going to buy this DVD, either download and use the theatrical subtitles or use the mediocre dubbing track. As for me, I'm going to look for another region's copy or wait for a re-release.

In the end, this DVD is a masterclass on why good subtitle translations are critical in foreign films.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 6, 2009 8:54:16 PM PDT
Thank you for this. I did not realize how horrible the subtitles were until I read the Icons of Fright article. I'm definitely waiting to buy this on Blu-ray until it is released with the original subtitles.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2009 8:23:37 AM PDT
I don't know what you guys are going on about. I found the subtitles fine on the Blu-ray. They do not reduce the impact or enjoyability of the movie in any respect, and I would give this disc a full 5-star recommendation.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2009 1:54:47 PM PDT
Filazafer says:
Sorry, Shannon, but you are wrong. Without ever seeing the movie correctly, I could tell that the subtitles were completely off. In some places, what they say doesn't even make sense. Don't waste your time, the subtitles stink and the dubs are completely distracting. I will be getting rid of this copy and waiting for a good one.

Posted on Apr 21, 2009 5:18:44 PM PDT
According to this:

new pressings of the DVD and Blu-ray will have the theatrical subtitles instead of the dumbed-down ones. The boxes of the new pressing will list the subtitles as "SUBTITLES: ENGLISH (Theatrical), SPANISH." That's not the way it's shown on the current Amazon listing, so I'm guessing that this is the poor version.

Posted on Apr 26, 2009 9:38:56 AM PDT
LFrog1386 says:
Wow-I didn't realize how bad they were, either, until I read about it here. I must admit that the diner scene and a few others pointed out on Icons of Fright made me scratch my head, too, but I quickly forgot about it because the film was pure genius. But after seeing the side-by-side comparison on Icons, I can see what I was missing. I may not have caught the subtlety and double-entendre of the comment of starting with the corners on the Rubix cube the first time out, but I can see where multiple viewings would expose it. Good to hear that they will be correcting the problem, as I had planned on buying a copy for myself. Now I know what to look for: thanks!

Posted on Apr 26, 2009 6:15:41 PM PDT
You are exactly right my friend but the good news is Magnolia/Magnet will have the correct subtitles in their next release of this film (after the current supply is sold out). Here's their quote from www.iconsoffright.com:

"We've been made aware that there are several fans that don't like the version of the subtitles on the DVD/BR. We had an alternate translation that we went with. Obviously a lot of fans thought we should have stuck with the original theatrical version. We are listening to the fans feedback, and going forward we will be manufacturing the discs with the subtitles from the theatrical version."

"There are no exchanges. We are going to make an alternate version available however. For those that wish to purchase a version with the theatrical subtitles, it will be called out in the tech specs box at the back/bottom of the package where it will list SUBTITLES: ENGLISH (Theatrical), SPANISH."

Posted on May 19, 2009 5:18:23 PM PDT
pekinman says:
I WISH I had a badly subtitled copy of this great film because the dvd copy I received is DUBBED, by AMERICANS and it's awful.
They at least could have used Swedish voice-overs with their British English and not the slangy amateurish voices used on this release. A HUGE disappointment.

Posted on Jun 5, 2009 4:28:50 AM PDT
zerozed says:
Does anyone have any idea when they might be releasing the dvd with the original subtitles? Thanks for all the info!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2009 9:50:39 AM PDT
SE says:
I believe they said on the next printing, though for all we know there won't be any more printings.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2009 1:21:48 AM PDT
the mook says:
for those killing this movie with bad ratings due to lousy subtitles, DONT. horrible subs or not, this is a great movie. we are not reviewing the subtitles here.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (751 customer reviews)

$13.97 $7.99