2.0 out of 5 stars The Least Enjoyable of the AC Series, November 11, 2012
This review is from: Assassin's Creed III (Video Game)
It really pains me to say this, but this isn't a fun game. I love the Assassin's Creed series. It's easily one of my favorite.

This game does have some cool features. Hunting, the wilderness, etc etc, but for all of the cool new features, they forgot the features that made this series enjoyable.

One of the biggest problems is the main character is unbearable. This is something that didn't occur to me until playing this game. With Altair and Ezio, I had taken for granted an engrossing protagonist. Their stories were interesting, the cut scenes where they spoke were interesting and their story was interesting. You genuinely liked them. You wanted them to succeed and you became invested in their characters. Connor is a one dimensional schmuck. He says nothing insightful. He's not endearing in anyway. Actually, I found myself hating him. This may seem minor to someone reading this, but it isn't. It turns out it isn't fun to play a 30 hour game when you hate the main character. It becomes a bit of a chore.

Now let me get down to some of the details of why this is the least enjoyable of the AC series.

I had a bad feeling about the game at the outset. The first 1-3 hours are essentially a tutorial. Now, you might say to yourself, "If there are 1-3 hours of tutorial, then I'll be 100% ready to play the game." Well, you'd be wrong. I'm about 40% into the game and I still don't know how to do some of the tasks that should be simply. I had to go online to figure out how to do basic things like recruit other assassins.

The maps are awful and useless. While the "open" nature of this game is cool, it is nearly impossible to navigate the wilderness. The biggest problem is the map isn't topographical. Looking at a map you may see Point A and Point B. You think you can just travel in a straight line. This isn't so. There might be a mountain range in between the two. The mountain then has only one point where you can cross it or climb it, however you can't see it on the map. So you have to run the length of the mountain until you can find it. This can turn a something simple into a 20-30 minute task. Map aside, navigating the wilderness is time consuming. Horse don't really work in the wilderness. Something stops them up every 20 feet. A rock, a tree, a river, etc. Everything is impassable to a horse. So in order to travel around the wilderness, you need to run. It's time consuming. There are fast travel options that let you move from key place to key place, but most of the side games take place in the wilderness and aren't near key places.

One of the cool things about this game is the new software that makes the cities much more lively. They are filled with much more people, soldiers, animals, and goings-on than the other AC games. The downside to this? If you get you notoriety up in the city, it will take you 10-15 minutes of running before you can become anonymous. I will be mentioning time consuming aspects of this game. I'm not exaggerating. When I say 10-15 minutes, I mean it. This may not sound like a lot, but it is. You will be forced to run around the city like a chicken with your head cut off looking for a nook or cranny where there aren't British or Loyalist soldiers. They are on every corner. Also, hiding isn't as easy or available in this game. Bails of hay and wells are few and far between. This really takes away from the enjoyability of this game.

When the developers were spit balling ideas, they should have stopped about halfway through their session. This game feels like they through everything into it. A game can be too complex. A game can have too much content. Making money in the other AC games was fairly simply. You ran a business from your main hide out or bought stores and landmarks. In this game there is an extremely complex system used to make money. You need get homesteaders on your land, buy supplies, find recipes, have them make products using the recipes and supplies you have and then send convoys to places to sell you product. Sounds simple? It isn't. It's so freaking time consuming, complex and boring that I've decided to continue the game without bothering. I didn't buy Sim City, I bought Assassin's Creed. I want to spend the game going on quests, killing people, and buying/upgrading weapons. I don't want to spend hours putting together wooden barrels and then selling those to different vendors based on the highest rates I can get. If I wanted to do that, I would join a manufacturing company in real life and do that. This is a game. Let's not re-invent the wheel. Let's keep it fairly simple and enjoyable.

The Desmond missions are almost unplayable. There are no maps, no hints, nothing. You just go in one direction until something happens causing the game to dysynchronize. Then you do it again. And again. And again. It's nothing but trial and error. No skill involved. You just go into one area and maybe you get lucky. Then you move into another area and agents see you dysyncing the game. This happens over and over again.

Now for my biggest criticism of the game. The main story isn't fun. At all. It's extremely boring. Even worse, it's 10-20 seconds of game play, then saving screen, then cut scene. Those of you that have played it will know I'm not exaggerating. For example, you get locked up in prison. Game play starts. You walk down stairs, talk to a guy, then saving screen and clip scene. The next day in prison, you go downstairs and talk to a guy, then saving screen and clip scene. Then you need to walk to the gallows which is slow and takes 10 second. Then saving screen and clip scene. It's like this throughout the entire game. It may not sound bad, but when you start to get immersed in the game, it really becomes aggravating when game play stops every 20-30 seconds or when they go to game play for something that could easily have been taken care of in the clip scene. It becomes tedious.

Also, the clip scenes are terrible. There are times where you can't hear what people are saying. The sound effects of the battle in the background drowns out the main characters voices. Although, even when you can hear what they are saying, it isn't very interesting. About half way though the game I just began skipping them. Compare this to the other AC games where the clip scenes furthered the story in an interesting way.

What are the good aspects of the game? The hunting is fun. The fighting is improved, but simplified. You can essentially win every fight using two buttons. However, the best part of the game are the naval missions. One of the side games puts you as captain of a ship. You can go on missions that usually involve you sinking one or dozens of British ships. It is cool, innovative and fun. It is the only bright spot in an otherwise disappointing game.

I didn't want to write this review. I wanted this game to be good. I really did, especially after Resident Evil 6 and Resident Evil Racoon City turned out to be such horrible games. I was really looking forward to this, but I was let down.

Don't let this review stop you from buying it. I'd suggest waiting for the price to come down. I assume you can get a used one fairly soon as it has little to no replay value like it's predecessors. Instead, let this serve as a warning. When you play the game, after having read this, you can't pretend you were surprised at what an underwhelming game this was.

I'll be trading this game back, whereas I didn't trade back the other AC games. That should tell you all you need to know.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 13 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 75 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 13, 2012 7:44:39 PM PST
MG III says:
I rented this game from Redbox as a precaution like i did Resident Evil 6 (which was horrible) thinking I would soon buy it after. Wrong. You are right about the cut scenes. It became unbearable after a while. Returned it without even finishing it. I'll get it when it becomes a greatest hit. Your review was on point! Good job.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 3:53:18 AM PST
Nadine says:
I pre-ordered & bought the game on day 1 and totally disagree w/ your opinion. Some details are true like with the map, horses are about useless unless you're on a flat surface... etc.
But combat is not won as easily as mentioned here and they've made it harder with the placement of guards...

Connor's character is just fine - it's fitting to his culture/heritage and his past. I basically refer to him as more of a gentle giant who gets pretty brutal.

The new combat animations & combo moves make fighting a complete JOY too.
This is a fantastic game.

The only things I take issue with are lack of music in free roam (which give it an empty feeling), could have amped up character detail more, lack of directions - you have to guess at too much. Not enough explanation. And most importantly, people are finding lots of bugs/glitches & some are serious.
I've had no bugs thankfully.

I also believe people renting it won't get the full appreciation of the game becuz it does start out slow w/ tutorials for the new controls. It picks up well by Seq. 4-5 if that's all you're doing is main missions.

It's FAR from a disappointment

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 11:09:42 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2012 11:09:57 PM PST
Jim says:
Man, gamers whine too much nowadays. AC3 is a fantastic game, definitely not a 2/5 game. I really hate calling myself a gamer nowadays, it sorta brings about the words "insatiable, entitled, and immature".

ME3, RE6, and now AC3? How many great games are gonna get slammed by gamers for no good reason?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 7:53:34 AM PST
Tim says:
insatiable entitled and immature?

this guy is simply stating his opinion about a product that he bought

are you that retarded to simply like anything you buy?

as a consumer, you have every right to either like or dislike that product

this guy disliked it, and he told us why

im not as harsh on the game as this guy but we are all different

but blindly liking a game because you are not "immature or entitled"?

must be one of the most retarded things i've ever heard

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 10:16:31 AM PST
Alphonse says:
I've never played ME3 so I can't speak to that.

However I can say RE6 was extremely disappointing. I didn't even finish it and that was the first time I'd ever not finished an RE game. My complaints for RE mainly had to do with the fact it was a cheap ripoff of other games like Left for Dead and Socom. It was RE in name only.

As for this game, we're all entitled to our opinions, aren't we?

I'm not going to call you names or anything as I don't see what that accomplishes.

I was disappointed in this game for the reasons stated above as well as a few others as I continue to play the game.

It isn't what I had come to expect for AC. I thoroughly enjoyed every other game in this series. I did not enjoy this one as much.

What would you have me do. Play it and shut up? The internet and Amazon have outlets that allow for people to lodge their complaints or disappointments. I bought it, played it and have earned the right(not entitled) to make valid and reasoned criticisms. If this is too much for your, then I don't know what to say. I can only be responsible for myself and know the problem isn't on my end.

Especially when you look at the overall Amazon reviews for this game. It clearly isn't just me.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 6:20:31 PM PST
Jon.M.Barter says:
Really good review friend, I appreciate the detailed highlights so thanks for saving me the heartache of buying this game. For an average of 50 to 60 dollars I expect alot from my games and I can tell this one would have failed to deliver.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 6:43:22 AM PST
Zetara says:
This review is spot on. The game is a huge disappointment. The story is disjointed, the main character boring, the controls are clunky. The only thing I'll add is that the ending is terrible. I'm glad I can sell it back.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 10:45:18 AM PST
J. Spivey says:
I would like to second you on this review, it is far more detailed than mine but very spot on. It left some issues I found but overall I agree, this one missed the marked and I appreciate you taking the time to write it out. I wish I had had not preordered and just waited for gameplay reviews so I could have dodged the $60 buck mistake.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 7:23:01 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 11, 2012 6:39:55 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 11:26:02 PM PST
Ron Wasser says:
I agree with everything you said here in this post I'm a big fan of the entire Assassins Creed series ...until now. I have quit this game several times due to frustration. what's the point of having an open world game when the mission constraints are so narrow that it doesn't allow for any deviation whatsoever. In previous versions there were multiple options to achieve your goal and still accomplish all the objectives. With this game everyone has to play exactly the same way or you fail.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›