4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of Action- Solid Story Telling, March 3, 2012
This review is from: Pirates of Mars (Kindle Edition)
"Pirates of Mars" has a lot going for it. The setting, a frontier-land Mars, provides a great back drop for story telling. Gerrib uses it to paint an intriguing picture with a number of colorful characters. I found myself pulled into the story immediately and it was entertaining right to the end.

While the plot and characters are all well known from other works of fiction, Gerrib still puts his own unique stamp it all so that it feels comfortable rather than repetitive. That said, his characters are not one dimensional. The good guys are not all so good and the bad guys, for the most part, are also people with depth. We don't have time to necessarily explore them fully but we get sympathetic glimpses of almost everyone on all sides. The author is playing with well explored themes, but he does a good job of keeping it interesting.

This one is not for the kiddies. Rough language and violence abound. There is some sexual content also. The course language was a bit much for me, but I'm pretty conservative in that regard. That language combined with the heavy use of Naval terminology had me thinking back to my days with the USN quite a bit. Gerrib uses the nautical setting to great effect in describing life in space and on Mars. I thought it worked very well.

My only other reservation with the story itself was the heavy use of current terminology. I doubt that by the time we have numerous settlements on Mars that people will still be "googling" things. Though anything is possible. The multiple nods to sci-fi stories and authors was not all that authentic either, in my mind, yet they made me smile and I enjoyed them. One can't too hung up on realism in a story about pirates on Mars.

I bought and read the Kindle version. There seems to be a formatting issue. Often after the second paragraph or so on a page, the text would all be indented. Hopefully that will get fixed (one of the nice things about e-books is that it can be). I'm not sure where the issue falls - with Amazon or the publisher so I didn't count that against the book.

I'm giving it 4 out of 5. I don't think it's earth shattering, timeless sci-fi. I do think it's a fun ride and worth the price of admission. (Especially the kindle version, which at least when I bought it was considerably lower than the dead tree price)

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]