66 of 79 people found the following review helpful
Cruel Summer 3.5 Stars,
This review is from: G.O.O.D. Music: Cruel Summer (Audio CD)
It's finally here, G.O.O.D. releases their debut compilation album. If your on social media sites like Twitter, Facebook or Hip Hop sites then you mostly heard some of these joints months ago and you were anticipating the album. Let's get into this track by track review
1. "To the World" (Kanye West and R. Kelly) Kanye & Kells deliver on the opener, R is doing what he wants as he says "The whole world is a couch/ B**** I'm Rick James and I'm not giving a f*** tonight",(Hes referring to the Rick James skit from Dave Chappelles show where he said "F*** yo couch") and Ye drops a dope verse as he takes a swipe at Mitt Romney by saying "I'm just tryna to protect my stacks/ Mitt Romney don't pay tax/ Mitt Romney don't pay no tax". This basically is the not giving a f*** anthem, great track !
2. "Clique" (Kanye West, Jay-Z and Big Sean) These three are just having fun on the Hit-Boy produced track doing their usual boasting, and its a good song nonetheless. Was anybody else surprised when Jay said "I'm talking bossy/ I aint talking Kelis" ? For those who might not of understood the line Kelis had a song out called "Bossy" back in 2006.
3. "Mercy" (Kanye West, Big Sean, Pusha T and 2 Chainz) The first single that was released back in April, you all should know this song by now. the hook is very catchy and the production is dope as well.
4. "New God Flow" (Kanye West, Pusha T and Ghostface Killah) This is an updated version, Pusha T and Kanye still have their same verses, which are very good and we get a brand new Ghostface verse which definitely stands out. When you hear that verse from Ghostface you gonna know why people still consider him one of the best still doing it. Kanye West, Boogz & Tapez supplies a great beat on here.
5. "The Morning" (Raekwon, Pusha T, Common, 2 Chainz, Cyhi the Prynce, Kid Cudi and D'banj) Another great collab, they all drop enjoyable verses and D'banj supplies the hook. This is a stand out track you should check out as well.
6. "Cold" (Kanye West and DJ Khaled) This song was originally called "Theraflu" but we all know that had some Controversy with the title so it got changed to "Way Too Cold", then they changed to just "Cold". Kanye spits "Only n**** I got respect for is Wiz / And I admit I fell in love with Kim around the same time she fell in love with him" and he disses Kims ex husband Kris Humphries for no apparent reason by saying "lucky I ain't had Jay drop him from the team". He plays for Nj Nets, which Jay owns some percentage of.
7. "Higher" (The-Dream, Pusha T, Mase and Cocaine 80s) The beat on here sounds Timbaland inspired, rapper turned pastor turned back rapper Mase is back on the scene and he says "I bumped into Loon he like As-salamu alaykum/ You know I ain't Muslim my n**** I'm about my bacon". I'm not sure what was the point of Dream using auto tune, Pusha on the first verse and Cocaine 80s is last. I'm not too big on this
8. "Sin City" (John Legend, Travis Scott, Teyana Taylor, Cyhi the Prynce and Malik Yusef) Travi$ Scott sets the track off, John Legend sings the bridge, Teyana sings the hook, Cyhi drops a nice verse, and we also get some spoken word from "Malik Yusef. Nice track
9. "The One" (Kanye West, Big Sean, 2 Chainz and Marsha Ambrosius) Marsha gets gangsta on here as she says "Got a pistol on my hip/ And Its gonna be some s***", but besides the hook I don't really have a issue with this joint. The beat is laid back
10. "Creepers" (Kid Cudi) Solo joint by Cudder, you guys should know what to expect here. It was interesting to hear Cudi say "I don't love who I am/ so I'm working on a fix". This was okay but definitely not one of his best
11. "Bliss" (John Legend and Teyana Taylor) Nice R&B track from these two. The chemistry was good and it didn't feel forced.
12. "I Don't Like" (Kanye West, Chief Keef, Pusha T, Big Sean and Jadakiss) The remix to Chief Keef song with everybody telling you what they don't like. This was released back on May and shouldn't even be on here in my opinion.
Overall the album has its good moments but somethings missing. As much as this cd kept getting pushed back, its no reason to leave us with just 12 tracks and four of those were released months ahead of time. I felt it should of had 15 or 16 tracks. Another question I was wondering is why Q-Tip, Mos Def and Mr. Hudson are not on here and they all are signed to G.O.O.D. Music ? . It seems like some of these joints were just sitting around and somebody was like hey lets throw these on the album.. the lack of direction is what hurts it the most. Maybe on the next compilation we'll get a more focused product. Its a solid compilation that I think everyone should at least check it out. Its not a album of the year contender but it should hold you over until the next G.O.O.D. Music release. All the featured artist on here came through and did their thing, 3.5 stars
Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 30, 2012 12:29:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 30, 2012 12:29:58 PM PDT
Daniel Delgado says:
There are rumors (according to GOOD music member Q-Tip) that this is not the entirety of what we have been waiting for but that there are more tracks not included here and that will be in a "Cruel Winter" soon.
In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2012 4:58:31 AM PDT
Thanks for clearing that up, I also heard alot of tracks didn't make the final cut but hopefully we do get a Cruel Winter. I'm looking forward to it.
Posted on Oct 19, 2012 6:34:16 AM PDT
Mauricio Gonzalez says:
..in a helpful manner, in reference to .4...Ghost is not a featured artist on this track, its just Ye and Push. They sample Ghost from a track on his best to date: Supreme Clientele, just sayin'
In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2012 9:13:45 AM PDT
Thanks alot, but Ima big Wu fan so I already knew the sample Lol. Ghost does rap on here, he was sampled on the first version they released, now on this one he has a verse.
Posted on Oct 24, 2012 3:07:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 24, 2012 3:07:25 PM PDT
*sigh* Kanye lost his unique ability when I saw "I Don't Like" on the tracklist....won't be listening...thnx!
In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2012 6:49:17 PM PDT
Lol thanks for reading, yeah I listened to this for a weeks and stopped. Its a very forgettable compilation
‹ Previous 1 Next ›