5.0 out of 5 stars Compassionate, Biblically accurate, and very fascinating!, September 30, 2004
This review is from: Angels on Assignment (Paperback)
Consider two prophetic predictions made by the author:

Rev. R.H. Buck (of the famous Buck knife family) passed away on November 06, 1979, long ago and had no way of knowing if his predictions would come true.

First, on page 93, Buck claims the Holy Spirit told him: "...I have already given wings to my messages brought to you by the angel of the Lord."

Then, on page 70, Buck claims "God told me the pope has no more influence with him than the least of his saints, and has no greater privileges, but because his influence with man is great, his choice is God's concern. Therefore, in order to help in the restoration of his fragmented body, God had chosen a man named Karol Wojtyla of Poland. This prophecy was fulfilled October 16, 1978, when he began his reign as Pope John Paul II."

Now, there's no way of proving God told Buck about the Pope before his selection. However, Buck, who died in 1979, had no way of knowing whether or not John Paul would even *live* after being selected, let alone be so influential -for over almost 30 years! -until John Paul's death on April 02, 2005, just two days after the passing of Terri Schiavo. Even quite a few Protestants, Jews, and Muslims think highly of John Paul, so it is safe to say Buck's prophecy came true.

Also, while there are many other angel books, it's safe to say that his other prediction has come true: Angels on Assignment is one of the classic books, and is circulated world-wide. Both prophecies came true.

I first read this book when I was much younger, and, as I recall, I couldn't put in down until I was finished. Clearly, this is a subject that fascinates most people! (Here, we find the account of an old country preacher, who didn't really want to cause any controversy or undo the years of hard work he had building up his ministry, suddenly telling of speaking with the Archangels, Michael and Gabriel, and other angels, not mentioned in scripture but who he claims visited him: Chrioni, apparently a warring angel who is Gabriel's bodyguard, and an angel of worship named Cyprion.)

What impressed me most initially was the fact that the preacher was an old man with health conditions and knew he probably had only a few more years, thus I don't feel he had a motive to profit by lying. In fact, as I recall, he did not even try to write a book. Charles and Frances Hunter came to HIM and offered to write a book. Later, I was able to reflect on what he had claimed the angels told him, and I was glad my background in the Bible was strong.

(Also impressive is the fact that his accounts of the many private things he told about people, things revealed to him by angels, has NEVER been refuted in the press, and I've followed this case for years: I think it's true!)

First, he never says that we should try to seek contact with angels, and this seems correct to me, because the Bible forbids us to practice witchcraft or divination or communication with the spirit world.

One very important point that I must make is that the pastor does not preach down to people; he is very compassionate and shows love towards all, whether they deserve it or not, but he does not ever compromise Holy Standards and say that anything goes and just anything is OK.

Also importantly, he underscores that the Angels tell us that we should not seek Angels because Jesus is far greater than any angel!

A later book by his daughter included contributions from the whole family and others to show that this man was a sincere person who loved people and was not irresponsible or given to fads.

One thing that is real unusual is that after about twenty-five long years of being in print, I felt God calling me to buy his book in case it went out of print or otherwise became unavailable (the book I had was my mom's, not mine). When I eventually got around to looking for it online, I discovered that at almost the exact time that I felt the urge to buy it, the book (and a sequel by his daughter) became available for free online. What coincidence that just when I would try to find it online, it be newly put up after a quarter century! (I downloaded a free copy anyhow, but purchased the a hard copy because it was cheaper than printing out the one I had downloaded.)

You can look at any claim that Pastor Buck makes and line it up with the word of God, and it does not contradict the Holy Bible!
For example, when he says that the angels told him a major implication of God being omnipresent: The Holy Spirit (Also God) constantly monitors the whole world and knows if one sparrow drops dead to the ground, and additionally can send instructions in real time to angels to address any problem that may exist. This not only gives new meaning to God is "all present, all powerful, all knowing, etc.," but also does not contradict scripture.

He says that he is not trying to make you believe him, merely telling what he saw as he was asked to do by God, and he says that he hopes that the reader draws closer to God as a result of his testimony of what he experiences.

Lastly, "Don't forget to show hospitality to strangers, for some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it!" Hebrews 13:2 New Living Translation; see also: Genesis 18:1-3 about Abraham and Genesis 19:1-3 about Lot. (They met undercover angels!)

This book is a very inspiring -and very trustworthy book. That is probably one reason it was a top seller and remains very popular to this day. I highly recommend it.

Gordon Wayne Watts; Lakeland, Florida USA

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]