4.0 out of 5 stars Major disappointment, at least the music is great (updated 4/17/11 and increased rating after comparing PS3 version), April 14, 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Michael Jackson: The Experience (Video Game)
I held off on the Wii version to get this for the Kinect. Major disappointment. I'm a Dance Central fan and couldn't wait for this game to come out.

I got release day delivery, and practically raced home from work eager to try out the MJ game. First song I picked was Smooth Criminal....the dancing was so-so, but I thought- surely it must be because I'm doing it on the easiest level....replayed the song in Performance mode....same moves, now singing was added to the mix. Not the Michael Jackson workout I'd hoped for....

Pros:
All your favorite songs
Great stages (this is one area where I'm glad I got the Kinect version)
Really hard to get a dance move wrong
the kinect captures your movements and clothing to reflect it on your on-screen liquid avatar (think Your Shape in true color)

Cons:
Hardly any dancing
Where's the dancing?
Dancing?
Did they forget to add dancing?
Oh, and you can't turn off the singing mode

If you're hoping for an exercise/dance game, then this is going to disappoint. If you're looking for some relaxed, karaoke night, beer drinking game play-- then this might fit the bill.

***Update 4-17-11****Giving Kinect and extra star******
I went out and bought the PS3 version and gained a different reference point to review the Kinect version. The PS3 version is great for a workout, not as fun or natural as Dance Central on Kinect...or even as MJ Experience Kinect, but it's definitely a workout. Seeing the leg work on the PS3 version (which only tracks your right hand), if they had replicated this on the Kinect version, 90% of players would've been alienated because most of us are incapable of even [remotely] replicating the King of Pop's dance moves...much less for an hour or two of gameplay.

To keep the Kinect version family-friendly and all-ages friendly, I imagine that the lengthy pauses and poses throughout the songs are to give novice users a chance to catch their breath and to gain some easy points so they don't feel completely defeated on every song. The MJ Experience for Kinect is still NOT a good 'workout' game, but it's a slower, fun game that you can play with the family. By that same token, that's what levels are for-- give the majority of us the simpler dance moves- and make an 'Impossible' level for those that have mastered MJ's dancing.

In summary:

Kinect Version:
*Some of the songs are all singing and no dancing
*The dancing is ok, but for the most part is slower, and there are a LOT of pauses between dancing and poses that you have to hold for 5 seconds- so don't plan on getting your heart rate up
*Much more natural feeling than the Wii and PS3 versions
*The stages and backgrounds blow the PS3 version's away (it would be nice to be able to switch your on-screen avatar to your Xbox avatar, but if you're trying to learn how to master the moves correctly, then it is helpful to have your 'liquid reflection' on the stage)
*You can't turn the singing off, and if you live in an apartment and don't feel like embarrassing yourself in front of the neighbors, then don't plan on getting a decent singing score (or achievements)
*If they had 'dumbed down' MJ's dance moves to match more closely with the Dance Central experience, most of us MJ fans would've been in an uproar and the game couldn't be called the MJ Experience...

PS3 Version:
*You'll get your heart rate up
*You can pretty much suck at the leg work as long as you have your arm in the right place at the right time
*Fun, engaging, you get to be MJ's backup dancer
*Much more dancing, less singing, this could definitely be a workout game contender
*You'll get tired of the remote in your hand and wish you were playing the Kinect again

All in all, if you want exercise-- get the Wii or PS3 version. If you want some slower fun, want to master some difficult dance moves with more precision, want a beer-drinking karaoke/dance game, or enjoy the Kinect and all it can do-- then go for this version. If you're looking to add an exercise routine to your game mix-- then opt for the Wii or PS3 versions.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 15, 2011 4:11:52 PM PDT
Phew. I almost bought it on a whim. Thanks for saving me the $40-$50!

Posted on Apr 18, 2011 10:36:22 AM PDT
I agree with most of your review. but i don't understand why you added a star on to the kinect version? You think the move version is worst so you add a star to the kinect one instead of decreasing a star from the move one. Slower fun? how about stop fun? you get alot of that too (5 sec pauses between dance moves). How about no fun. If you like the move/wii version or dance central, rent before you buy. This game was a huge let down. I wanted a controller free version of the wii game. hopefully we'll get it with dlc.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2011 12:22:03 PM PDT
M. Espinoza says:
I added a star because I can now see the merits of both game versions. My 'mistake' in pre-ordering the game was that I expected a port of the Wii version, and since there were scant reviews and only a single Ubisoft commercial-- I rolled the dice thinking that chances were good I'd get an MJ version of Dance Central or Wii's MJE. After thinking more objectively, I decided it wasn't fair to give a low rating to a game based solely on how it lived up to my expectations....rather I should rate it based on the game itself.

I'm more apt to use the PS3 version for exercise now, but when family or friends come over, the Kinect version will be what I 'show off'. Why? Because it's a unique experience. Another upside to this is that though I purchased the same title for both platforms, I feel like I have two totally different games. Both versions compliment each other nicely. Since many households own multiple game consoles, it's worth owning both versions.

I agree with you in that I hope we'll get some more complex dances in the dlc that resemble the Wii/PS3 routines. It would also be nice to get Human Nature, Jam, and Man in the Mirror. Hopefully the developers also add other improvements like the ability to turn off singing mode, use your avatar or MJ on stage (if they could make an MJ lookalike to reflect our movements with the same relative precision that the liquid reflection does-- that would be awesome).

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2011 9:13:08 AM PDT
H. Wang says:
I gotta say, I was thinking of getting the Kinect version, but opted for the Wii. The Wii version is fun, but brutal b/c you really work up a huge sweat. Love the music in this game!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2011 11:35:04 AM PDT
M. Espinoza I disagree with your conclusions but I understand were you're coming from. However I think you had the right to expect more from the kinect version. In the same way you would expect a xbox 360 version of a game to be better than the ps2 version. They had 6 extra months to do it and they had dance central to reference as well. The tech in this game is very cool, but not of enough to make this a good game. It's kind of like that cool feature on a gadget that you use to show off but don't actually use day to day.
your review said
Cons:
Hardly any dancing
Where's the dancing?
Dancing?
Did they forget to add dancing?
Oh, and you can't turn off the singing mode

how can this game receive a 4 out of 5 with those cons. If dance central is a 5 out of 5 there's no way MJTE is 4 out of 5. More like 4 out of 10.

And yes, replacing the background dancers or mike in the wii version with our liquid reflection would be very awesome. especially if it could record it and play it back too.

Posted on Jun 30, 2011 1:52:17 PM PDT
M.D. Edwards says:
Thanks, M. Espinoza, for saving me a good chunk of money. I already own the Wii version of TMJE, and LOVE it as a VERY challenging workout option, but, having recently ordered an XBox with Kinect, saw this and was seriously considering picking it up before reading your review. Once again, an Amazon reviewer has saved me from spending money on a product that isn't going to deliver what, in this case, I've come to expect from the Wii version. So, thanks for being one of those reviewers that's saved me a few bucks!

Posted on Dec 5, 2011 6:17:34 AM PST
I wish more people would do in-depth reviews comparing the different console versions of games. Very well done!

FWIW, I have a PS3 and a Wii and the PS3 version of this game. My whole family loves it, but we're more interested in just having fun dancing and singing than in playing a game like this competitively.

Posted on Jan 8, 2012 4:01:30 PM PST
Amy J. says:
Thank you for this very helpful review. I have a Wii and just purchased an Xbox w/Kinect. I figured the Xbox version would be better, but I use dance games more for exercise than partying. Thanks to your review, I'm going with the Wii version.

Posted on Jan 10, 2012 3:37:28 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 10, 2012 3:39:21 PM PST
Meh says:
I agree. I never saw any version of the game before I bought the Kinect version. I got the Xbox Kinect for hubby this Xmas because that was his request. I wish now I had done comparison of versions of games for Kinect, PS, and Wii, but, hey, it was his Xmas request. Well I'm an MJ fan (and hubby is always doing some godawful version of MJ dancing) that I immediately bought the kinect MJ Experience at the same time I ordered the Xbox.

Got it and was so disappointed by how it looks. There is no MJ avatar, just a scanned version of your own very un-MJ-like silhouette and sketchy-looking backup dancers. (You do get a live person instructing you on the basic moves for any of the MJ songs so you can practice beforehand - let me just say Michael Jackson made it all look very deceptively easy).

We barely played it because the graphics aren't that great, we wanted an exercise experience (the sequences are very short - bad because not long enough to keep your heart rate going for long and good because after 3 minutes you are ready to pass out), and MJ is not an easy act to follow.

So we've been looking around for any other dance games on Youtube to see what they look like. We came across Dance Central - way better graphics. Then we came across the PS3 version and Wii versions of the Michael Jackson Experience on Youtube and my mouth fell open. That's what we wanted as far as graphics and an MJ avatar! The other versions have way better graphics and just looks like way more fun. An MJ lookalike avatar is the closest I'm ever going to get to looking like MJ dancing!

Anyway, I hope enough people complain and the next version will have better graphics and MJ as your avatar. I'll be the first in line! If I wanted to see myself dancing, I'd look in a mirror....not!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.6 out of 5 stars (290 customer reviews)

$29.99 $17.99