Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Performance and Quality, September 22, 2011
This review is from: Kingston HyperX Plug n Play 8 GB Kit (2x4GB Modules) 1600MHz DDR3 SODIMM Notebook/Netbook Memory 8 Dual Channel Kit (PC3 12800) 204-Pin KHX1600C9S3P1K2/8G (Personal Computers)
This worked as easily as Kingston promised. I upgraded from 1066mhz to these 1600mhz chips. The money was well spent. I will be purchasing an additional 8GB of these. I highly recommend. No issues with my set up which is as follows:

Alienware m17x R3
2nd gen i7-2720 Quad Core
Windows 7 Home Premium

UPDATE:
------
I'm about 1 month in with 16GB of this RAM installed. I'm experiencing "freeze" problems at random which requires a forced shut down. I tested running this RAM with an HDD and a SSD and I get problems with both. Even after a clean Windows 7 install, I'm encountering the issues. I might have to return this unless I can figure out a solution. I lowered my 5 star rating to 3 for now.

UPDATE 2:
--------
It's been 3 months now. I found the answer to my freeze problem a while ago, but just remembered to post my findings here. The issue was the timing numbers in BIOS were wrong. If you need information on how to adjust these numbers in BIOS, do a quick search and you shouldn't have a problem. The numbers for my m17x R3 are set as follow:

9 Cas Latency (CL)
9 Ras to Cas Delay or Row to Column Delay (tRCD)
9 Row Precharge Delay or Ras Precharge Delay (trp or tRCP)
27 Row Active Delay or Ras Active to Precharge Delay or Time to Ready (tra, trd or tRAS)
1 Command Rate (CMD) Please note not all bios will have this setting
1.5 Voltage

This ram has served me well so far. I have a total of 16GBs (4 sticks) installed and love it. I have increased my rating from 3 stars to 4 stars. If this was true plug and play (not in my case), I would have given it a 5 star rating. I would recommend this product to others.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 13, 2011 1:24:07 PM PST
Hi sorry to bother but I´m thinking about buying 2 of this 8Gb kits so I need feedback from you, the reason is I have exactly the same alienware with different CPU, did you tried your computer with your old RAM? have you read about the throttling problem with the BIOS version A08? thank you for the info

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2011 3:19:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 2, 2012 8:48:19 AM PST
Mr. S. Grant says:
I have just received my 2x 8GB 1600MHz kits. I will install them and let you know if they are stable.

M17x R3, i7 2760 QM, 4GB 1600MHz (soon to be 16GB), 256GB SSD, A08 BIOS, Windows Home Premium.

UPDATE: Installed the memory with the help of a friend, so far all is well.
We did have trouble properly seating the upper DIMM under the keyboard, the metal prong on the right-side did not want to fully close. Issue seemed to follow the DIMM rather than the slot. Resolved it by slightly filing the DIMM with a glass nail file. Sounds crazy but it worked.

Tools needed:
I used this from Amazon:

Wiha 75093 Micro Bit Set with ESD Safe Handles, Slotted, Phillips and Torx, 16 Piece

All the screws were Phillips Size 0

Update 2:
Have been able to delete the rather large 16GB Pagefile.sys. Laptop runs fine without it.
No changes needed yet in the BIOS.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2012 3:43:26 PM PST
T says:
wow, that sounds...crazy! makes me worry a bit now. i just finished ordering a m17x now, with the minimum 1600 ram, and was looking to buy 16gb of kingston hyperx.

all the things you've described, are they on youtube? doing so won't void the warranty right?

should i take mine to the geeks or do you think it can be done at home?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2012 4:51:50 PM PST
Sam says:
Two slots of ram are easily accessible and can be replaced by someone with a very basic understanding of computers. The other two slots are underneath the keyboard and involve a lot of delicate work. There are YouTube videos to walk you through it. View the videos and determine if it's outside your skill level.

Common changes made in BIOS don't affect your warranty. However, "overclocking" may void your warranty. Contact your manufacturer for more detailed information.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2012 9:44:05 AM PST
Mr. S. Grant says:
It's not so bad, you just need to take your time. You can download the PDF service manual from Dell support, that was a big help.
There are also videos on youtube.
It will void your warranty, so keep your old memory handy in case you need to return the laptop.

The m17x R4 is rumoured to be coming out this year, so I would hold off with your purchase.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2012 11:51:23 AM PST
Sam says:
I was going to suggest the R4 as well but this will require the laptop he just bought be returned. In addition, he'll have to wait for the actual release. This could mean waiting until mid 2012.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›