5.0 out of 5 stars Detailed Review. More to come., July 30, 2014
This review is from: LG Electronics 55LB5900 55-Inch 1080p 120Hz LED TV (Electronics)
Excellent TV for the Price! *Updated on the bottom*

I want to first clarify some points others have been making in the reviews on this TV. It IS indeed 120hz, the person who left that review obviously had no idea what they were talking about. I've seen people dock it stars for the lack of smart functionality. This is not a smart TV. It has a basic,navigable, and responsive menu. I have also seen docked stars for lack of ports. The site plainly lists how many ports the TV has, it's your own fault if you expected it to have more.

I have something plugged into every port on this TV, except the USB port (I have no need).
Xbox 360 plugged into the Component inputs (old style 360), WD Media Player into 1 HDMI, and a future HDMI cable already run for my future Xbox One. I also have standard coax cable hooked up to this TV as well. This is all I need the TV for, which is why I went with this one vs a TV with more options since budget was an issue.

I haven't yet tweaked with the picture settings yet, but plan to and I hope to update this review when I do.

Pros:
-Beautiful display. My friends have commented on it's sharpness, color, and thin bezel. Minimal glare, if any in my setup.
-Absolutely perfect response time. I am a very heavy gamer, and this works great for FPS and fast response games. If you plan on using this for any game console, this is your TV.
-Absolutely no 'soap opera' effect.
-Color and Blacks have been very impressive. My previous LCD LG (i think 09 model) would go to 'lit black' on dark scenes, kind of like an extremely dark grey. I would say this TV is as close to real color and contrast as you can get.
-Nice sized remote, not a wii type.
-This TV does have a physical power button on the bottom, that is kind of like a joystick you can navigate a mini menu. Cool feature.
-Optical out, which I also use with a Soundbar/Wireless sub-woofer.
-True 16:9. Fits fully on the screen, no black bars.

Cons:
-Wall mount issues. I have this TV wall mounted with the popular Cheetah mount on Amazon. If i could go back I'd choose a different wall mount. The ports on this TV are basically right in the middle of the back in the TV, right where the brackets for a wall mount go across. The Xbox 360. Coax, and HDMI fit, but BARELY. They are pressed hard into their slots from the bracket of the wall mount, and take hard right angles. Terrible design for the ports, I wish they were the waterfall type.
-I expected the built in speakers to be a little better, but I'm being pretty picky here. I only listened for about 10 mins before I hooked up my quality Soundbar just to test.

Other thoughts:
-I did have a negative experience with shipping this TV. took 2 weeks to get here via prime, and then the delivery driver entered our home with my young teenage sister, and forced her to help unbox the TV to make sure it worked. She called me at work and I rushed home. He was in desperate need of a shower and a haircut, and I forced him to leave. He also lifted the TV out of the box, the opposite of how it's meant to be unboxed (TV drops out the bottom, box comes out on top). Terrible vendor shipment, I blame Amazon for this, not the product or manufacturer. Probably my first negative experience with Amazon shipping something.
-You will need another person to help wall mount, if you plan to. Math and measuring required, bring your thinking cap.
-I would highly recommend this TV to anyone looking for a budget upgrade with not all the 'thrills, apps or 3D gimmicks'. I sit about 12 feet from this TV, and that is about perfect for games and very ideal for TV and Movies.

If you have any other detailed questions feel free to comment, I try and look at my reviews from time to time to help others make good purchasing decisions!

*Hey all, still going strong a few months in! No dead pixels or issues with it at all, been a perfect tv. I've actually been very surprised at how responsive the menu is. you can switch back and forth between cable and any input within a second or so. I've done alot of 720p and 1080p content on it, and both look incredible. I've played with the color and menu settings a bit and tweaked them for my needs (my eyes see colors a bit different than others, especially blues/purples, greens/yellows.) I also really like the Movie/Game/Off Contrast modes. It helps my eyes adjust to all the different content I use the TV for.*

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 41 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 2, 2014 2:03:18 PM PDT
Carol Lynn says:
Hello Keith, thank you for the nice review. I am not very tech savy, but I see in the comparison area above it says this TV is a "smart" TV. Is that wrong???? I want to connect to the internet with a TV. (Shop on Amazon, and watch the prime movies, for example!)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2014 9:14:51 AM PDT
Rob says:
That's a typo. This is NOT a smart TV.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2014 10:04:11 AM PDT
Carol Lynn says:
Thanks for clarifying that!

Posted on Aug 4, 2014 5:57:47 AM PDT
Carol,

Rob is correct! Definetly not a smart TV, does not have the apps. Instead of purchasing a Smart TV you could always look into a Roku/WD Media Player Device!

Keith

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2014 6:29:16 AM PDT
Thanks! I will do that!

Posted on Aug 8, 2014 8:34:48 AM PDT
Thanks for your review! I just purchased this TV, and I'm thinking about pairing it with a Vizio sound bar with satellite rear speakers and wireless sub-woofer. I noticed in your review that you also use a sound bar. Do you know if this TV outputs true digital 5.1 surround when feeding an optics/coaxial directly from the TV to the sound bar? Or is it dumbed down audio like most TV's do? Thanks!

Posted on Aug 13, 2014 10:27:45 AM PDT
Reed Kochel says:
Great and detailed review. I do have one question though. You mentioned you are a heavy gamer. Have you tried playing games on a PC, or using this TV with your PC? If you have, is there any noticeable motion blur? Like when you move the camera does the graphic fidelity seem to blur?

Thanks!

Posted on Aug 16, 2014 1:37:10 PM PDT
Ninja Will says:
Hey Keith, have you hooked this up to a PC yet? I'm curious if a pc would recognize this as a 120hz monitor.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2014 5:42:07 AM PDT
Harbor IT says:
Yes I have! I hooked it up via HDMI to my DellE7440. It comes up as 120hz.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2014 5:43:22 AM PDT
Harbor IT says:
I have hooked it up to a PC as well, my Dell E7440 via HDMI. no noticably blur at all, acts as an extended monitor should. i did have to play with the ratio settings for a min or two, and set it to JUST SCAN, then it came through perfect.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (467 customer reviews)

$999.99 $679.00