Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

4.0 out of 5 stars If you were looking for more from a tablet, you found it, November 3, 2013
The reason I bought a surface pro 2

I have been looking for a way to eliminate the need for my iPad and my bulky work laptop and still be able to perform any and all work related or personal tasks at the drop of a hat. I tried to add apps to the iPad like quick office and others to help in editing and doing simple xls functions, but I found it was not enough. I looked at ultra books and 2 in 1's and convertibles. None of those options gave me the true flexibility and performance that I was looking for.

What I wanted was, the ability to do complex excel tasks (pivot tables and more), manage my email in a familiar and productive way, keep up on my news and social networks without having to go to each web site individually, edit photos, presentations and even create marketing materials, and most of all I wanted to use this as a tablet and still retain all the functionality of a "PC"

The great

Speed and Power: The Surface Pro 2 is FAST, I have tested it running most programs and games that I reserve for my gaming/PS PC and it handled them with ease. NOTE: if you are a gamer, you will be able to run most newer games on this, BUT at med to low graphics at best, it's a good way to quench your jitters while on the road or away from your gaming rig but in no way a replacement for a gaming PC. Photoshop and other intensive programs it is more than capable off (add in the stylus and PS becomes so much better!)

Full Office: Selling point for me, I can install most any program that runs on my regular PC and it adds in stylus/touch controls. See my notes about Office 2013/365 in the "not so good" section below as I am running office 2007.

Type Pad 2: This is a great accessory, I could add it into the bad section because you have to pay for it, but it is well worth the extra cash, backlit and very easy typing compared to full-size.
Stylus: I bought about 10 different stylus for the iPad for drawing and editing photos, the active stylus on the surface blows them all away. If you like to take notes with pen and paper, you will not notice a difference when using this stylus/tablet combo.

Size: Compact, easy to open and start working, and a good form. At 2 pounds, some people might pass on this, but keep in mind you have a full windows 8 operating system on board and an i5 processor. The weight compared to what's under the hood is completely acceptable for me.

Battery Life: rated at 7 hours doing regular activities is much less than the "competition" but again, for what you get in comparison to an ultra book or 2 in 1 this thing rocks! I can get thru a full work day without having to charge and it does charge to full in a couple of hours.

Windows 8.1: I put this in the middle of the road; this OS is defiantly coming along, but will take some getting used to be patient with it, it is a lot easier to navigate and manage with a touch screen.

The not so great

The windows app store: Is not there yet, some of the apps are great, but you will find they are higher priced than you are used to paying in the google play or App store. As more people get into windows 8 we will see more, quality apps coming thru the store. You will sacrifice some of the cool/fun apps you get on your iPad, but you will quickly find ways to replace them.

Glare: You will get a good amount of glair in some situations, you can turn the brightness up to counter this, but then you are sacrificing some battery life.

Wifi: The built in Wifi card is terrible, sitting next to my AP I could get 3MBPS Down and 10 UP (I have 50/25 service) I connected a USB wifi dongle that I have and got 50down/25up immediately. I am not sure if this can be fixed with firmware updates or not, but it is defiantly a major issue for me. Doing the basics it isn't overly noticeable, but when I want to download a large file I connect the external USB adapter to shave days off of a download.

Office 2013/365: If you use google sync or other mail services with outlook, do not download the free trial of office on this, it is highly unstable and in compatible, save yourself the time and install office 2007 or 2010.

Initial set up: It took me about 6 hours to get this set up the way I wanted it, between installing all my programs and playing with the live tiles and setting up syncing with all of my other cloud services. It took longer than I wanted it to, I hesitate to say this is a negative, its more of a warning to be prepared, you are not going to turn this on and DL some apps and get to work, it's a full blown PC and you will need to take some time to get it how you like it.

Some of the things I have listed as positive things can be taken as negatives depending on what you are looking for out of the surface pro 2. This product is not for everyone if you are just looking to be entertained, go get an iPad or Android tablet. If you are looking to be multifunctional and completely capable of anything at the drop of a hat, then this is the device for you. I recommend this for road warriors and workaholics alike, it can replace all other devices. Casual/social media hounds will find this heavy and clunky and are better off with an iPad.

I am only giving 4 stars because the Wifi issue really bothers me, it's like buying a high end sports car and putting 87 octane gas in it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 5, 2013 4:18:44 PM PST
G-Mom says:
agree! I feel as if I've been let of a box by using an ipad for so long. Very happy to have full windows and love the screen size. I find I use the screen keyboard more than the attached keyboard. Now i can let go of my ipad, macbook pro and my pc! happy

Posted on Nov 5, 2013 8:39:39 PM PST
Brent says:
Too bad you've had trouble with Google sync, Office 2013 is way better for touchscreen devices than 2007 or 2010.

Posted on Nov 15, 2013 1:05:08 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2013 1:06:06 PM PST
I'm not sure what the problem is with your wifi. I only have 6 mbps download service on my DSL and I get 5.6 mbps service continuously. When I run my Surface Pro 2 through my LTE Hotspot, I get in excess of 12 mbps down (between 12.1-12.8) and 8 up. Love my Surface Pro 2!

Posted on Nov 19, 2013 8:22:36 AM PST
Nitti says:
I have been looking at the Surface Pro 2 and the salesman said the Wifi issue was solved by an Update along with an update for battery life..Your post was Nov 3..Do you have any further updates from your own experience on these 2 matters..Thanks for reading

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2013 9:04:28 AM PST
Battery life has been more than ok for me out of the box, and I have noticed slightly better battery life as I have been using it and changing some settings ... but it is more than enough for most peoples needs.

The WiFi issues is not any better, I have installed all of the latest updated. I have read all of the Microsoft forums and it appears that this has been a known issue with the original surface pro and it looks like it has carried over to the new surface pro 2.

Being that this is a known issue by Microsoft, and that they have not released an update to address it, I am led to believe that this is a hardware issue, and no amount of software or firmware updates will fix it. Will they change the chipset on future versions? I don't know. But until someone at Microsoft can give a response to the issue, I don't expect it to get better, and that is what my review was geared to, I wanted to set expectations for you.

some people have stated that on 5gig channel is much better thank the 2.4gig channel on WiFi, but I shouldn't have to replace a router or seek out a dual band network in order to get faster download speeds.

For everyday emails etc... its fine ... if you want to download a large 500mb or 1gig file ... its unbearable

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2013 5:27:35 PM PST
Nitti says:
I want to know more about the speakers in the Surface Pro 2..they say they are Dolby ut I have heard akot of complaints..Sound is important to me so would like to hear from soneone who has a Surface Pro 2..Also the cameras are not a really big thing but is there and zooming of the back camera and how do the pics look..Thanks for reading

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2013 1:41:42 PM PST
The sound is perfectly fine for me no issues. I run Spotify and other music services and it sounds great. Its nothing near what a good set of speakers will do, but I can hear the highs and lows as the arrest intended.

As to the camera, it does well in well lit situations, but low light / nighttime no so much.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2013 2:44:14 PM PST
Nitti says:
Did you guys purchase a warranty plan or any antivirus software..

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2013 8:40:27 PM PST
No warranty, if you can get a warranty that protects against drops and broken screens I would say go for it ... but extending the basic warranty isn't worth it in my mind.

Antivirus, its a personal preference but use it wherever and whenever you can and keep it updated

Posted on Nov 27, 2013 10:00:52 PM PST
goanywhere says:
I read somewhere (may have been on Amazon) that if you do a factory restore / OS reinstall that it will solve the slow Wi-Fi issue. This may be a pain, but might be worth the time if it allows much better use.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›