4.0 out of 5 stars Great resource but watch the sugar!, May 31, 2012
This review is from: Eat Like a Dinosaur: Recipe & Guidebook for Gluten-free Kids (Paperback)
This book is a wonderful resource for transitioning the entire family to a Paleo lifestyle. It describes useful tools that I almost deem essential now and what they term "funny ingredients". My 5 year old loved the dinosaur story and she was instantly motivated to eat that way. My 7 year old was terrified by it but he has a strong food aversion disorder. The thought of eating what he thought was gross just made him cry. He did pick the Anytime Cookies recipe so we made that one first. They did not turn out like the picture at all. As a very visual child, he was furious and wouldn't try them. I found them tasty but they certainly weren't like the picture. I plan to try it again and then see how I can adapt it to make it less runny. My favorite recipe in here is the waffles and I think over time my kids will like those as well.

There are over 100 reviews here that will tell you the wonderful parts with this book so I don't feel the need to repeat them all. Since this is a review, I feel the need to be honest with some criticism.

There were two parts of this book that I did not like. First, they recommend transitioning your kids quickly. I don't necessarily agree with this approach for kids age 4+ who are going through a picky stage already. Our child became malnourished from his refusal to eat a few months ago and as much as everyone tells you that they will eat what you feed them, that is not always the case. Although my son is an extreme exception, I know there are other kids out there like him. My other two children are transitioning nicely. I feel it is better to empower the child to make the right choice. Read Cole's story in the book and talk about how processed food, grains and legumes make your child ill. Given the choice and knowing the consequence (tummy ache) of a bad choice often makes transitioning less of a battle. Now if you already have good eaters, you can probably transition over night without a problem but I just wanted to point out that it is not the best approach for everyone.

My second issue with this book is that this is a Paleo family and although the book is not exclusively a Paleo only book, I expected all the recipes to be Paleo. Sugar is not Paleo at all. I was shocked to see how many of these recipes had sugar, some even up to a cup. Sugar will make you crave more sugar and leads to a host of learning problems for children. There are many ways to sweeten treats without sugar. Even coconut palm sugar is a much better option than granulated sugar. Sugar no longer exists in our home and I would hope that this Paleo family will eventually make that step in their diet.

Criticism aside, this family is truly amazing in their transformation. They talk about more than just food in this book. Going Paleo is a lifestyle change, not just a diet change. I highly recommend adding this book to your library of Paleo books but avoid the recipes with sugar.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 31, 2012 5:29:16 PM PDT
Thanks for the honest feedback. We do address in "funny ingredients" that we use coconut palm sugar AS "unrefined granulated sugar" - we would never recommend white bleached cane sugar.

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2012 7:21:19 PM PDT
S. Murphy says:
Glad to see that! I somehow missed that in the funny ingredients. I'm still cautious in using too much of the coconut palm sugar until I can find out more about it. I believe it is relatively new to the United States. Are there other unrefined granulated sugars that you use? I'm just wondering if that is why you didn't list coconut palm sugar instead? Still love your book! Making those rat on the sticks this weekend.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2012 5:51:24 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 2, 2012 5:51:55 AM PDT
Turbinado is unrefined granulated cane sugar (raw), granulated date and maple sugar also work. It's just for texture - lots of choices, that's why we didn't specify.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 10:51:58 AM PDT
Loganmyangel says:
I hope you see this Stacy because I'm transitioning the entire family over to Paleo because of my son's newly learned of Celiac diagnosis.

I don't use sugar. I haven't in at LEAST 2 years. I sweeten with honey or nothing at all. I am allergic to coconut so I can't use the coconut palm oil. Agave Nectar is beyond expensive and I have a very strict budget when it comes to food. What else could I use on those recipes?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 7:59:42 PM PDT
Date sugar or any raw, unrefined granulated sugar you feel comfortable using. We do a lot with honey/maple syrup/dates/bananas - it's only frostings/icings that need the granulated texture (for the most part).

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 1:12:36 PM PST
Tina says:
Thanks for the information.
We have been on special diets now for 3 years.
I was hoping for more ideas and new recipes that are creative and sugar free/gluten/casein free.
Sugar (raw or not), is still sugar, and for many kids with inflammatory conditions (ADHD, asthma, autism) should really be totally avoided.
I would love to find a cookbook that cleverly uses sugar alternatives and creates palatable dishes.

Posted on Apr 30, 2013 11:20:03 AM PDT
Megan says:
We don't have a lot of the suggested alternative sugars here. Would honey work? The only Granulated sugar available is cane.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2013 5:15:47 PM PDT
S. Murphy says:
As Stacy mentioned above, some of the recipes need the texture of the sugar. You might have to do trial and error. I have found that honey works fine in all of my baked goods.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2013 3:05:25 PM PDT
Dana Seilhan says:
I looked up honey on the USDA nutrition database. It has almost the same proportions of glucose to fructose as table sugar does. It is also refined, just by bees instead of people.

People keep saying "use a natural sugar" or "use an unrefined sugar" but they're all sugar and if you're really afraid of what sugar would do to your health, you need to avoid them all.

People think I'm crazy for wanting to use things like erythritol and stevia and sometimes sucralose. Often those choices are not Paleo (I would argue stevia is). But a lot of things we do aren't Paleo and we have to draw the line somewhere, because pre-civ people didn't always do healthy things either. It just happened that the healthy things they did outnumbered the unhealthy things far enough that they survived in an environment that would kill us today if we had to revert back to it with no preparation at all. At some point you have to rely on your own judgment more than on dogma. And personally I find I do much better on non-nutritive sweeteners than I do on even honey and maple syrup. Your mileage may vary, of course.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›