3.0 out of 5 stars MGM doesn't apply much effort to improve on some of their Blu-Ray releases, do they?, October 24, 2010
This review is from: RoboCop Trilogy [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I already have the Robocop Trilogy on DVD. I bought this blu-ray version of the box set because I was expecting to see an improved High Definition re-master. And it's not. This transfer to Blu-Ray looks no better than the DVD's. So, it's a waste of money, isn't it?

So, I've done a little research of some of my other re-purchased films on to Blu-ray (from MGM) and I've noticed that they too, were disappointments to me as a blu-ray transfer. So, I know now: If it's released by MGM, it won't be any better than the DVD. MGM just doesn't seem to care WHY we would re-purchase our favorite movies on to Blu-ray.

The first Robocop in this box set is the same 2007 release. They didn't even bother to change the brownish artwork of the disc to match the other two movies bluer artwork. And of course, there are no extras on any of these discs.

With the HDMI cable I had with my older regular DVD player, many of my regular DVD's were greatly improved in picture quality. So, it's proving to be very few and far between that a Blu-ray reissue of a film is actually going to look any better. Some do. I have about 75 Blu-Ray discs now, and only about 45 of them look greatly improved. (When I buy the Blu-Ray, I compare them right away, side by side, Blu-Ray against the DVD, with my two TV's in my den) I guess some movies can't be helped, while some other movies were great masters from the start so no re-mastering effort would be required.

I outta just re-cellophane this Robocop Blu-Ray and give it to somebody for Christmas because my DVD's are just as good anyway. I hope they will apply somewhat of a better effort to improve all the James Bond films onto Blu-Ray.

UPDATE: I've just recently bought a new 47" LCD TV. Maybe this was a mistake because it is NOW that I see a great improvement of my Blu-Ray DVD's over my regular DVD's. So, I guess the only way that I can continue enjoying my regular DVD's is to keep watching my DVD's only on my 32" LCD TV with the HDMI hook-up because at 32 inches, DVD's look very much like High Definition. On the 47" TV, regular DVD's just don't look that good.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 6, 2010 10:45:23 AM PDT
Ron B. says:
Thanks for taking the time to do the work compairing regular DVD's to Blu-ray "upgrades". This helps a lot!
Ron

Posted on Nov 9, 2010 5:29:41 PM PST
I think that the blu rays do look better, however mgm just takes the same print and then does nothing to clean it up. leaving it barely better than the dvd but the clarity does manage to be better only because of the resolution and that's lame for sure.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2010 7:29:30 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2010 7:33:56 AM PST
Rykre says:
If you had HDMI hooked up to your previously used DVD player, you will not see much of any improvement in the Blu-Ray. I mean, the improvement, if any, is so minute and minuscule, it's hardly worth re-purchasing the Blu-Ray release to replace your DVD's. I did, and I regret it.

Besides, what do people do who have a few hundred movies? They buy the movie, watch it, and then proudly slide it in somewhere alphabetically in their vast movie collection, and they'd never watch it again until it's been re-released again with a "said" improvement, so then they'd buy it again and watch it once again, then they'd give away or sell their previous version, and put their newest proud purchase somewhere within their vast movie collection, never again to be watched again until it is again re-released, and then they'd re-purchased it yet again. And then again, and then again, and then again......

Remember when we bought these movies as VHS first? How many times have you re-purchased Robocop since then?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2010 6:02:00 AM PST
Videonut says:
Ha ha! Don't even ask how many times I'd purchased The Wild Bunch.

Posted on Nov 25, 2010 11:03:19 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2010 11:05:02 AM PST
we need to write mgm , they are making me angry at the way they just sling stuff out on blu ray.
they refuse to clean up anything, terminator one looks like crap completely. return of the living dead , looks only ok , the original music is missing though. however they did do a good job on the bond series but that's about it. how do we write them? email them? I have bought many versions of movies too, it's lame, but back in the vhs days I hated it even when I owned it. vhs sucked. it always sucked. pan and scan crap mainly , with poor pictures but it was all we had mainly.

Posted on Jan 19, 2011 6:13:26 PM PST
MGM sucks im glad they went out of bussiness i wouldnt pay one dollar for there crap they couldnt even release all the james bond films on blu-ray they are jerks

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2011 6:15:03 PM PST
Whats the point of writing to MGM they dont know how to read

Posted on Aug 14, 2011 8:26:18 AM PDT
So you didn't know that you had to compare dvd's to blu rays on a large screen? You made your subpar remarks about blu ray while comparing them on a "32 screen? Well, what did you think, Einstein?

Posted on Aug 14, 2011 12:19:12 PM PDT
Jalek says:
So I don't get it.. the video's better? No? I have many Blu-Rays like Blazing Saddles that are bad transfers that look much worse at 50" than on a 23" monitor. Maybe they'll remaster things for 1080p someday.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2011 9:15:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 16, 2011 9:16:57 PM PDT
Rykre says:
So, I guess it's a fact. If you have a TV at 32" hooked up through the HDMI port, you won't have to buy Blu-Ray discs to replace your DVD's. You're DVD's will look just as good as the Hi Definition Blu-Ray discs do.

So, buying another 32" screen TV will be a lot cheaper than re-buying hundreds of movies onto Blu-Ray. I think.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (149 customer reviews)

$59.99 $39.96