5.0 out of 5 stars Shocked by how much my daughter loves this!, February 25, 2011
This review is from: LeapFrog My Own Leaptop, Pink (Toy)
This toy was a gift and I have to confess I probably wouldn't have purchased this for my daughter because, in my admittedly limited experience, most of toys of this type are not worth the time or the money. This one is different.
Set-up, as a previous reviewer mentioned, was slightly aggravating as installation needed a little tweaking, but I found directions on the website that identified and fixed the problem without too much of a hassle. All-in-all, I spent about 10-15 minutes getting it ready for play, even with the little hiccup (I have some experience with the LeapFrog website as I have Violet the dog too - another great toy my daughter loves.
I was pleasantly surprised, however, by the immediate response from my daughter (she had just turned two a few weeks prior) who picked it up and started to play and explore the functions. She was engrossed to the point that she didn't want to open her other presents!
Now, I realize the attention-span of a toddler is a fleeting thing and I fully expected this to be one of those toys that would have a very short shelf-life, but here we are, 3-4 months later and she STILL plays with it on a daily basis. Durability has not been an issue as she has certainly put it through the wringer. She's dropped it, stepped on it, stood on it (I've stepped on it myself) and played with it roughly as toddlers do and it hasn't skipped a beat.
The best of all of this is the educational value. Now, granted, my daughter is a genius (as I'm sure your kid is too!), but after a few weeks of playing, she'd mastered all the letters of the alphabet and was able to generalize and identify (and verbalize) the letters on other items (shirts, signs, etc). As a parent, I was very excited to see such growth so quickly. That alone makes it worth it.
Having read some of the other reviews, I noticed people were criticizing the lack of a color display or the poor volume control, but let's be honest - the toy is a little over 20 bucks. What could you possibly expect? What you get, in my opinion, is worth every penny.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]